Posted to rec.woodworking

Default go to wood selection for thin application

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

If I read your rambling correctly, you're asking
for a thin wood to use as a book cover.

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

Not when it's 3/16" thick.

Use anything you like, you'll find little difference in weight
at that size.

A much more interesting question is how it should be finished
and bound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Fri, 2 Mar 2018
10:13:29 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

What size book? How important is the "look"?

I glued a bit of 3 mm plywood to the front of a spiral notebook to
keep the cover from curling.

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

again, what size?

If you are binding a book, using wooden covers, that can be done
without hinges. Unless you're going for that Book of Armaments look
and feel.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 11:32:19 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

I would consider gluing rather than screwing or bolting the hinges

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:13:34 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

If I "think something like a book cover" I don't think anything like nuts and bolts.

Maybe if you were more specific, we could be too.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gil Gil is offline

On 3/3/2018 7:08 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:13:34 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

If I "think something like a book cover" I don't think anything like nuts and bolts.

Maybe if you were more specific, we could be too.

Perhaps pop-rivets to attach the hinges to the thin ply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 04:08:12 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:13:34 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

If I "think something like a book cover" I don't think anything like nuts and bolts.

I've used nuts and bolts to bind notebooks. #10 machine screws (IIRC)
fits 3-ring binder holes pretty well.

Maybe if you were more specific, we could be too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:13:34 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

If I "think something like a book cover" I don't think anything like nuts and bolts.

I've used nuts and bolts to bind notebooks. #10 machine screws (IIRC)
fits 3-ring binder holes pretty well.

Did your notebook have a thin wooden cover?

Maybe if you were more specific, we could be too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:13:34 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

If I "think something like a book cover" I don't think anything like nuts and bolts.

I've used nuts and bolts to bind notebooks. #10 machine screws (IIRC)
fits 3-ring binder holes pretty well.

Did your notebook have a thin wooden cover?

Processed wood, sometimes called a "title page", sure. ;-)

Maybe if you were more specific, we could be too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:13:34 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

If I "think something like a book cover" I don't think anything like nuts and bolts.

I've used nuts and bolts to bind notebooks. #10 machine screws (IIRC)
fits 3-ring binder holes pretty well.

Did your notebook have a thin wooden cover?

Processed wood, sometimes called a "title page", sure. ;-)

I think you made that up, therefore it's Pulp Fiction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2018 10:32 PM, Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

Years ago I bought a bag of assorted small plywood pieces at a hobby store.
Some of it was very thin maybe 3/32" or so. The quality was very good.
It reminded me of some aircraft grade plywood I'd seen years earlier.
Formica won't work?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2018 11:01 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 3/2/2018 10:32 PM, Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

Years ago I bought a bag of assorted small plywood pieces at a hobby store.
Some of it was very thin maybe 3/32" or so. The quality was very good.
It reminded me of some aircraft grade plywood I'd seen years earlier.
Formica won't work?

As model aircraft plywood goes, 3/32" is pretty thick stuff. You can
readily buy 3-ply birch ply down to 0.4mm (1/64") if you feel the need
although I've never seen a model design that required anything so thin.

https://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ply.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:13:34 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

has to hold a hinge and most likely will be a nut and bolt because
just screws and glue will work loose eventually

If I "think something like a book cover" I don't think anything like nuts and bolts.

I've used nuts and bolts to bind notebooks. #10 machine screws (IIRC)
fits 3-ring binder holes pretty well.

Did your notebook have a thin wooden cover?

Processed wood, sometimes called a "title page", sure. ;-)

I think you made that up, therefore it's Pulp Fiction.

Well, supplier datasheets usually are. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 23:32:12 -0500
Bill wrote:

Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

working with drywall and realized that the paper gives much of the
strength so i may apply thin leather over thin ply

just have to find the right adhesive

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 10:01:15 -0600
gray_wolf wrote:

Years ago I bought a bag of assorted small plywood pieces at a hobby store.
Some of it was very thin maybe 3/32" or so. The quality was very good.
It reminded me of some aircraft grade plywood I'd seen years earlier.
Formica won't work?

never worked with formica as far as i know
plus i have none

but iirc formica is brittle and meant to have a stiff backing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 15:46:48 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

If you are binding a book, using wooden covers, that can be done
without hinges. Unless you're going for that Book of Armaments look
and feel.

probably 12 by 9 inches

doing a book binding type hinge might be interesting the material
for the hinge or binding would have to be super durable though

thinking hinges might be the best solution

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

If you are binding a book, using wooden covers, that can be done
without hinges. Unless you're going for that Book of Armaments look
and feel.

probably 12 by 9 inches

doing a book binding type hinge might be interesting the material
for the hinge or binding would have to be super durable though

thinking hinges might be the best solution

I'd split the cover into two pieces along the long
edge, narrow (.5 - .75) at the binding, and use a piano hinge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, Electric Comet wrote:
Bill wrote:
Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

working with drywall and realized that the paper gives much of the
strength so i may apply thin leather over thin ply

just have to find the right adhesive

PVA will probably work fine. Hide glue is traditional. You might also
consider using a leatherworking awl to sew the leather to the thin
plywood.

Sewing or gluing, there are bookbinding tutorials / guides that will
help.

Tyvek works great for book-cover style hinges, but it is a much more
industrial look than I think you want.

Elijah
------
has bound miniature books using currency, also quite durable
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, 7 Mar 2018 19:56:29 wrote:

PVA will probably work fine. Hide glue is traditional. You might also

think i have som hide glue so that will do it

consider using a leatherworking awl to sew the leather to the thin
plywood.

that is getting fancy but would look great

Sewing or gluing, there are bookbinding tutorials / guides that will
help.

well i think it has to be glued and the sewing would be cake icing

Tyvek works great for book-cover style hinges, but it is a much more
industrial look than I think you want.

will it hold paint i thought it would not

has bound miniature books using currency, also quite durable

is is durable and maybe has higher value as a binding

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Wed, 7 Mar 2018
11:33:58 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

If you are binding a book, using wooden covers, that can be done
without hinges. Unless you're going for that Book of Armaments look
and feel.

probably 12 by 9 inches

doing a book binding type hinge might be interesting the material
for the hinge or binding would have to be super durable though

thinking hinges might be the best solution

They've been putting "heavy" covers on books for a thousand years.
Depends on the quality of the material used to hold the binding of the
book to the cover.
There's a lot of "technical" details I do not have at hand, yeah,
it can be done. Without hinges.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

If you are binding a book, using wooden covers, that can be done
without hinges. Unless you're going for that Book of Armaments look
and feel.

probably 12 by 9 inches

doing a book binding type hinge might be interesting the material
for the hinge or binding would have to be super durable though

thinking hinges might be the best solution

They've been putting "heavy" covers on books for a thousand years.
Depends on the quality of the material used to hold the binding of the
book to the cover.
There's a lot of "technical" details I do not have at hand, yeah,
it can be done. Without hinges.

Lets see did A Dags for videos on Book binding

https://goo.gl/VhyxPY
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

If you are binding a book, using wooden covers, that can be done
without hinges. Unless you're going for that Book of Armaments look
and feel.

probably 12 by 9 inches

doing a book binding type hinge might be interesting the material
for the hinge or binding would have to be super durable though

thinking hinges might be the best solution

They've been putting "heavy" covers on books for a thousand years.
Depends on the quality of the material used to hold the binding of the
book to the cover.
There's a lot of "technical" details I do not have at hand, yeah,
it can be done. Without hinges.

Lets see did A Dags for videos on Book binding

https://goo.gl/VhyxPY

You'd think there would be a book or two on the subject. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 11:27:50 AM UTC-8, Electric Comet wrote:
On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 23:32:12 -0500
Bill wrote:

Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

working with drywall and realized that the paper gives much of the
strength so i may apply thin leather over thin ply

just have to find the right adhesive

Contact cement works well. The use of leather can be your hinge
solution, of course: some of my tools are in an oak/leather/velcro
holder, that has aged well over the decades. Contact cement back
then was kinda... acetone-based, though. Not sure about waterbased.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Wed, 7 Mar 2018 18:15:22 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

If you are binding a book, using wooden covers, that can be done
without hinges. Unless you're going for that Book of Armaments look
and feel.

probably 12 by 9 inches

doing a book binding type hinge might be interesting the material
for the hinge or binding would have to be super durable though

thinking hinges might be the best solution

They've been putting "heavy" covers on books for a thousand years.
Depends on the quality of the material used to hold the binding of the
book to the cover.
There's a lot of "technical" details I do not have at hand, yeah,
it can be done. Without hinges.

Lets see did A Dags for videos on Book binding

https://goo.gl/VhyxPY

You'd think there would be a book or two on the subject. ;-)

Medieval Tech support, for when "the book " was the new
technology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X25AValEf9I
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

They've been putting "heavy" covers on books for a thousand years.

longer than that i would guess

it can be done. Without hinges.

hinges are meant for higher use and will last longer

book bindings wear quickly with high use

many libraries toss the books when the binding is worn which came as
a surprise

asked if they sell them and they said no

even for books that are out of print and that is really dumb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Fri, 9 Mar 2018
08:49:31 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

book bindings wear quickly with high use

many libraries toss the books when the binding is worn which came as
a surprise

asked if they sell them and they said no

even for books that are out of print and that is really dumb

Really, really dumb.

"Crimes against humanity" dumb,

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich writes:
Electric Comet on Fri, 9 Mar 2018
08:49:31 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

book bindings wear quickly with high use

many libraries toss the books when the binding is worn which came as
a surprise

asked if they sell them and they said no

even for books that are out of print and that is really dumb

Really, really dumb.

And, like much from EC, the statement that libraries don't sell
or give away books is incorrect.

Libraries all over the country sell old books to raise
funds for new books. Many also give away books that
they no longer wish to keep in their collection. Others
have book exchange tables.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 11:50:16 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
pyotr filipivich writes:
Electric Comet on Fri, 9 Mar 2018
08:49:31 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

book bindings wear quickly with high use

many libraries toss the books when the binding is worn which came as
a surprise

asked if they sell them and they said no

even for books that are out of print and that is really dumb

Really, really dumb.

And, like much from EC, the statement that libraries don't sell
or give away books is incorrect.

Libraries all over the country sell old books to raise
funds for new books. Many also give away books that
they no longer wish to keep in their collection. Others
have book exchange tables.

+1

My library has an room dedicated to books for sale as well as an Amazon
store for rare books that they don't want to leave out in the open.

From their website:

The xxxxxxx Public Library Book Sale Room is open for business. We have
hundreds of new and used books starting at $0.50! Come in and have a look
around. The Book Sale Room is located around the corner from the front
entrance, just before the elevator. Heres what you can expect to find:

Books in €śLike-New€ť condition start at $2

Most other Hardcovers/Trade Paperbacks will be $1 while smaller Paperbacks are
just $0.25

Library Discards are only $1 including Childrens Books, Teen Fiction, and
Classic Authors

Music CDs, DVDs, and Books on CD start at $1

Vintage and Collectible Titles will be priced individually

Current issues of popular Magazines are $1, and all other Magazines are just
$0.25

Please Note: All Book Sale Room items can be paid for at the Circulation Desk
and Sales Tax will be added to all purchases.

Also, dont forget to visit our Amazon Store for online sales of rare and
antiquarian books.