Old February 13th 18, 03:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Itentifying wood by smell

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 8:06:15 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Leon [email protected] on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:56:04 -0600 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:

The efficacy of reusing pallets or pallet wood is certainly a valid
issue... I've only recycled them into kindling or used them on the floor
of my lumber shed as any other use would be too great of a time
waster... especially with the access I've had to rough cut over the
years. Now that I have an Alaskan chainsaw mill even more opportunities
present themselves. For example, while removing beaver killed trees from
a rail trail last fall I picked up 8 cherry logs. I milled four of them
in my back yard over the past couple weekends... My lumber shed is
overflowing and I am looking into ways to store and dry more wood... I
guarantee you none of it will be pallet wood! LOL

Yeah, those pallets we ended up with, we receive more than we shipped
out, we had to pay to get rid of them. So I kept the oak ones to one
side and only one time tried to dismantle it. The rest saw my recip saw
and the fireplace.

If you want a four inch wide by 12 inch or so board, they're
perfect. Especially for small boxes.

Sure, boxes that smell like vinegar. ;-)

Old February 13th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:07:21 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

are they usable

i ask because sometimes i see some really knotty and crazy grain in
oak and somehow they get nails into without splitting

it seems the rarer pallet woods are also often the worst scrap pieces
left over from wherever they source

the pallet making industry probably has some interesting sourcing
techniques

urban refuse and the like

Old February 13th 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:41:14 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
[...]

With a tight enough fit, you can use them to store vinegar.

--
pyotr filipivich
Old February 13th 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Tue, 13 Feb 2018
08:34:28 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

are they usable

Oh yes. Ripped them on the band saw, and will figure out what to
do with them "eventually".

i ask because sometimes i see some really knotty and crazy grain in
oak and somehow they get nails into without splitting

it seems the rarer pallet woods are also often the worst scrap pieces
left over from wherever they source

the pallet making industry probably has some interesting sourcing
techniques

Like I said - I wasn't aware of "grade 4" lumber. Cupped, warped,
bark, knotholes - it's is sort of a usable board.

urban refuse and the like

--
pyotr filipivich
Old February 13th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 09:44:58 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

With a tight enough fit, you can use them to store vinegar.

wooden boat builders actually use the swelling of the wood due to
water to provide the seal

have to get it just right though

Old February 13th 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Identifying wood by smell

[snip]
Not to mention the nasties that may have soaked into the wood from the
chemicals that may have spilled onto them.

[snip]
Could be oak or arsenic. Pallets get drug along trailer floors that have
had who knows what spilled on them.

[snip]
Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"
But which one smells like vinegar?

the really bad poisonous one ..
.. or maybe not.
it might be the other one ?
.. Who really knows ?
.. when it comes down to it.
.. hope this helps..

OMG! All the hand wringing, nervous Nellie, negative Nancy
posts -- over used pallets? Are you kidding me right now?
The smell is probably your vinegar douche oozing from your
overly sensitive mangina, Ladyboy. ROTFL

The whining and negativity in here has totally popped
my happy bubble.

This is how you do it, boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLQgIs4NM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F5RO8ls7_k

love ya
mean it
- Amanda
Old February 13th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2018 3:52 PM, Amanda wrote:
[...]

right..... What is that rash I see on the girl in the video?
Old February 13th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Amanda" wrote in message news
OMG! All the hand wringing, nervous Nellie, negative Nancy
posts -- over used pallets? Are you kidding me right now?
The smell is probably your vinegar douche oozing from your
overly sensitive mangina, Ladyboy. ROTFL

The whining and negativity in here has totally popped
my happy bubble.

This is how you do it, boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLQgIs4NM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F5RO8ls7_k

love ya
mean it
- Amanda

You are a riot Amanda! Keep hanging around! LOL

Old February 14th 18, 01:04 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:07:21 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Mon, 12 Feb 2018
14:10:06 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 17:14:51 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and
some rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.

smell helps but the grain and density is a big help too

some are treated with pesticidals
some are toxic and some are not

mostly see oak and fir but have seen maple
no doubt they source locally suitable wood too but i have not seen
other than those

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

My father had a bunch of black walnut and mahogany he salvaged out of
WWII military equipment (a long time go ;-).

Old February 15th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:04:59 -0500 typed in

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and
some rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.

smell helps but the grain and density is a big help too

some are treated with pesticidals
some are toxic and some are not

mostly see oak and fir but have seen maple
no doubt they source locally suitable wood too but i have not seen
other than those

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

My father had a bunch of black walnut and mahogany he salvaged out of
WWII military equipment (a long time go ;-).

Yep.

Biggest "crime against nature" was when Oregon State University
tore down the old Seed Barn. Built back in the 19"oughts" - those
were clear douglas fir beams. Huge. But the contract was "knock it
down and send to the dump."
Even the foreman thought it was a crime, but we both had no place
to put them, even if we could have gotten them out in one piece.

--
pyotr filipivich