Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Itentifying wood by smell

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar to
that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)
This is more for my Fund of General Knowledge than a necessity.
I've used "pallet board" like this before to make so rather fine
(IMOSHO) small wooden boxes and the like.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Just because they're invisible doesn't mean they are your friends.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

Some pallets are used once and discarded.
Some pallets are treated, used and re-used ..
.. for who-knows-what ..
Finder beware ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2018 7:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary.Â*Â* I have a stack of pallets, and some rather
nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them. Hardwood, I
think "oak" - but I do not know.Â* One thing I do know, when I saw them
loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar.Â* (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Not to mention the nasties that may have soaked into the wood from the
chemicals that may have spilled onto them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?

Could be oak or arsenic. Pallets get drug along trailer floors that have
had who knows what spilled on them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?

Probably the ones that held the crate of vinegar that sprang a leak. :-D

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"
But which one smells like vinegar?

the really bad poisonous one ..
... or maybe not.
it might be the other one ?
.. Who really knows ?
.. when it comes down to it.
.. hope this helps..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar to
that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)
This is more for my Fund of General Knowledge than a necessity.
I've used "pallet board" like this before to make so rather fine
(IMOSHO) small wooden boxes and the like.

I recently toured the factory of Community Play Things. Their products are
found in schools, day cares, hospitals, and other institutional places where
children and babies can be found. While there I found out that they use a
wood for their outdoor products that is pickled.

Though my memory of the details could be off, as I recall the wood itself is
from Austria and the preservation is done in Norway... This not a finish but
rather an impregnating process (I believe done under a vacuum like pressure
treated wood). When I smelled the wood it had the scent of pickles/vinegar.

For pallet wood it might be cost effective compared to heat treated wood...
perhaps this is what you have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"pyotr filipivich"Â* wrote in message

Yes, that is my quandary.Â*Â* I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know.Â* One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar to
that of strong vinegar.Â* (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)
This is more for my Fund of General Knowledge than a necessity.
I've used "pallet board" like this before to make so rather fine
(IMOSHO) small wooden boxes and the like.

I recently toured the factory of Community Play Things. Their products
are found in schools, day cares, hospitals, and other institutional
places where children and babies can be found.Â* While there I found out
that they use a wood for their outdoor products that is pickled.

Though my memory of the details could be off, as I recall the wood
itself is from Austria and the preservation is done in Norway... This
not a finish but rather an impregnating process (I believe done under a
vacuum like pressure treated wood). When I smelled the wood it had the
scent of pickles/vinegar.

For pallet wood it might be cost effective compared to heat treated
wood... perhaps this is what you have.

I used to receive and ship on pallets, hundreds per week. I never

saw a treated pallet as most were not wanted back by the shipper, GM.
Only a very few were made out of a decent wood and those were so riddled
with nails it was more trouble than it was worth to try and salvage for
other uses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Regarding this tread, I was thinking more along the lines of the
requirements for pallets used in international shipments to be treated in
some way to prevent invasive pests. The reference to the smell suggested to
me it could be a product of this pickling process.

The efficacy of reusing pallets or pallet wood is certainly a valid issue...
I've only recycled them into kindling or used them on the floor of my lumber
shed as any other use would be too great of a time waster... especially with
the access I've had to rough cut over the years. Now that I have an Alaskan
chainsaw mill even more opportunities present themselves. For example, while
removing beaver killed trees from a rail trail last fall I picked up 8
cherry logs. I milled four of them in my back yard over the past couple
weekends... My lumber shed is overflowing and I am looking into ways to
store and dry more wood... I guarantee you none of it will be pallet wood!
LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon"Â* wrote in message

I recently toured the factory of Community Play Things. Their
products are found in schools, day cares, hospitals, and other
institutional places where children and babies can be found.Â* While
there I found out that they use a wood for their outdoor products
that is pickled.

Though my memory of the details could be off, as I recall the wood
itself is from Austria and the preservation is done in Norway... This
not a finish but rather an impregnating process (I believe done under
a vacuum like pressure treated wood). When I smelled the wood it had
the scent of pickles/vinegar.

For pallet wood it might be cost effective compared to heat treated
wood... perhaps this is what you have.

I used to receive and ship on pallets, hundreds per week.Â* I never saw
a treated pallet as most were not wanted back by the shipper, GM. Only
a very few were made out of a decent wood and those were so riddled
with nails it was more trouble than it was worth to try and salvage
for other uses.

Regarding this tread, I was thinking more along the lines of the
requirements for pallets used in international shipments to be treated
in some way to prevent invasive pests.Â* The reference to the smell
suggested to me it could be a product of this pickling process.

Well that may very well be the case.

The efficacy of reusing pallets or pallet wood is certainly a valid
issue... I've only recycled them into kindling or used them on the floor
of my lumber shed as any other use would be too great of a time
waster... especially with the access I've had to rough cut over the
years. Now that I have an Alaskan chainsaw mill even more opportunities
present themselves. For example, while removing beaver killed trees from
a rail trail last fall I picked up 8 cherry logs. I milled four of them
in my back yard over the past couple weekends... My lumber shed is
overflowing and I am looking into ways to store and dry more wood... I
guarantee you none of it will be pallet wood! LOL

Yeah, those pallets we ended up with, we receive more than we shipped
out, we had to pay to get rid of them. So I kept the oak ones to one
side and only one time tried to dismantle it. The rest saw my recip saw
and the fireplace.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 21:47:17 -0600 typed in
pyotr filipivich wrote:
-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?

Could be oak or arsenic. Pallets get drug along trailer floors that have
had who knows what spilled on them.

And those I tend to pass over. These hardly have the saw marks
worn.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" on Mon, 12
Feb 2018 00:24:09 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I doubt it. Pallets tend to be made of the cheapest stuff around
- at least the grade I'm snagging. The good ones rarely if ever show
up outside the fence.

Years ago, I learned that there was a grade four lumber - 1 x 12
pine boards, each one guaranteed to have cup, warp, bark, knot holes,
or pitch. Or any combination. We used them for shipping 'crates'
for countertops - one way.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 21:49:31 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
-MIKE- on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:24:38 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)
There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"

But which one smells like vinegar?

Probably the ones that held the crate of vinegar that sprang a leak. :-D

Hmmm, that's a possibility. These are from a grocery store.

OTOH, the last batch were from a hardware store.

tschus
pyotr

PS speaking of vinegar, I learned a few years ago, of a disaster for
my great grandfather, and the probable Environmental Catastrophe
involved as well.
Seems he had a 3000 gallon tank full of apple cider/vinegar
rupture. Total loss, and it flooded the creek too. No mention in
the article about any fish kills though.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 17:14:51 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and
some rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.

smell helps but the grain and density is a big help too

some are treated with pesticidals
some are toxic and some are not

mostly see oak and fir but have seen maple
no doubt they source locally suitable wood too but i have not seen
other than those

depends on the industry too

some pallets are better than others and some get used once because the
cost of the pallet is so small compared to the cargo

i have never recovered pallet wood that had bugs or even any signs of
bugs

but that will not let me make a conclusion because pallets in use are
on the go and not much time for bugs to set up anyway

you pay more you get treated wood and pay less you get untreated

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

there I found out that they use a wood for their outdoor products
that is pickled.

interesting never knew that but it explains a lot

took a part a swing and tower set and could not figure out how the
wood was treated

i think this pickling is the answer

it was also kiln dried and after twenty plus years no bugs and no rot
just some warpage

Though my memory of the details could be off, as I recall the wood
itself is from Austria and the preservation is done in Norway... This
not a finish but rather an impregnating process (I believe done under
a vacuum like pressure treated wood). When I smelled the wood it had
the scent of pickles/vinegar.

this stuff had an odd smell and maybe it was vinegar

For pallet wood it might be cost effective compared to heat treated
wood... perhaps this is what you have.

that does make sense because they want pallets to be cheap

Posted to rec.woodworking

PS speaking of vinegar, I learned a few years ago, of a disaster for
my great grandfather, and the probable Environmental Catastrophe
involved as well.
Seems he had a 3000 gallon tank full of apple cider/vinegar
rupture. Total loss, and it flooded the creek too. No mention in
the article about any fish kills though.

3 000 gallon [US, liquid] = 11 356. liters
= 22,712 500 ml bottles
at $ 70 per bottle

http://tinyurl.com/ycuaglzc

He was a milionaire ! :-)
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:56:04 -0600 typed
[...]

If you want a four inch wide by 12 inch or so board, they're
perfect. Especially for small boxes.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Mon, 12 Feb 2018
14:10:06 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and
some rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.

smell helps but the grain and density is a big help too

some are treated with pesticidals
some are toxic and some are not

mostly see oak and fir but have seen maple
no doubt they source locally suitable wood too but i have not seen
other than those

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 8:06:15 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Sure, boxes that smell like vinegar. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:07:21 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

are they usable

i ask because sometimes i see some really knotty and crazy grain in
oak and somehow they get nails into without splitting

it seems the rarer pallet woods are also often the worst scrap pieces
left over from wherever they source

the pallet making industry probably has some interesting sourcing
techniques

urban refuse and the like

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:41:14 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
[...]

With a tight enough fit, you can use them to store vinegar.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Tue, 13 Feb 2018
08:34:28 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

are they usable

Oh yes. Ripped them on the band saw, and will figure out what to
do with them "eventually".

i ask because sometimes i see some really knotty and crazy grain in
oak and somehow they get nails into without splitting

it seems the rarer pallet woods are also often the worst scrap pieces
left over from wherever they source

the pallet making industry probably has some interesting sourcing
techniques

Like I said - I wasn't aware of "grade 4" lumber. Cupped, warped,
bark, knotholes - it's is sort of a usable board.

urban refuse and the like

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 09:44:58 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

With a tight enough fit, you can use them to store vinegar.

wooden boat builders actually use the swelling of the wood due to
water to provide the seal

have to get it just right though

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Identifying wood by smell

[snip]
Not to mention the nasties that may have soaked into the wood from the
chemicals that may have spilled onto them.

[snip]
Could be oak or arsenic. Pallets get drug along trailer floors that have
had who knows what spilled on them.

[snip]
Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"
But which one smells like vinegar?

the really bad poisonous one ..
.. or maybe not.
it might be the other one ?
.. Who really knows ?
.. when it comes down to it.
.. hope this helps..

OMG! All the hand wringing, nervous Nellie, negative Nancy
posts -- over used pallets? Are you kidding me right now?
The smell is probably your vinegar douche oozing from your
overly sensitive mangina, Ladyboy. ROTFL

The whining and negativity in here has totally popped
my happy bubble.

This is how you do it, boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLQgIs4NM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F5RO8ls7_k

love ya
mean it
- Amanda
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2018 3:52 PM, Amanda wrote:
[snip]
[...]

right..... What is that rash I see on the girl in the video?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Amanda" wrote in message news
OMG! All the hand wringing, nervous Nellie, negative Nancy
posts -- over used pallets? Are you kidding me right now?
The smell is probably your vinegar douche oozing from your
overly sensitive mangina, Ladyboy. ROTFL

The whining and negativity in here has totally popped
my happy bubble.

This is how you do it, boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLQgIs4NM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F5RO8ls7_k

love ya
mean it
- Amanda

You are a riot Amanda! Keep hanging around! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and
some rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.

smell helps but the grain and density is a big help too

some are treated with pesticidals
some are toxic and some are not

mostly see oak and fir but have seen maple
no doubt they source locally suitable wood too but i have not seen
other than those

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

My father had a bunch of black walnut and mahogany he salvaged out of
WWII military equipment (a long time go ;-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Or you can seal it with olive oil, then have a salad bar.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Tue, 13 Feb 2018
11:51:42 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

With a tight enough fit, you can use them to store vinegar.

wooden boat builders actually use the swelling of the wood due to
water to provide the seal

have to get it just right though

Yep - "build to the nearest boat" I've heard it put.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have my firewood on International pallets. They are Fiberglass and
will hold a good load. I want to say close to 36x48. I bought a set
for just the firewood - doesn't rot and holds the wood dry.

The wood pallets are stacked edgewise in the far corner of the property
near the
dumpster.

I have 2x several and some acres. I use pallets that are oak
and strong as movable storage places. I'll take my 4x8 pallet covered with
OSB to gather down limbs and cuttings. Nicer load than with forks or
a small bucket. I can haul a long limb to an area to be cut.

Martin

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'll take my 4x8 pallet covered with OSB to gather down limbs and cuttings.
Nicer load than with forks or a small bucket.
I can haul a long limb to an area to be cut.
Martin

Yep - you'd be surprised what a pallet will hold - I was -
... when I caught this on my dash cam .. :-)

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxg82/9

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/18 8:37 AM, wrote:

I'll take my 4x8 pallet covered with OSB to gather down limbs and cuttings.
Nicer load than with forks or a small bucket.
I can haul a long limb to an area to be cut.
Martin

Yep - you'd be surprised what a pallet will hold - I was -
.. when I caught this on my dash cam .. :-)

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxg82/9

John T.

Surprised the Bobcat didn't tip over. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'll take my 4x8 pallet covered with OSB to gather down limbs and cuttings.
Nicer load than with forks or a small bucket.
I can haul a long limb to an area to be cut.
Martin

Yep - you'd be surprised what a pallet will hold - I was -
when I caught this on my dash cam .. :-)
http://tinypic.com/r/1zxg82/9
John T.

Surprised the Bobcat didn't tip over. :-)

It sure looked strange from a distance -
until I was close enough to see what it was.
I really like my dash-cam for this sort of thing -
I've got a few great lightning bolt screenshots
from it also.

http://tinypic.com/r/35i5d1t/9

http://tinypic.com/r/1r5e69/9

John T.