Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bar Clamp Pad Options?

I'm getting way too much exercise from bending over to pick up the rubber pads for my bar
clamps. I can't find anything that will keep them secured to the clamp. Hot glue doesn't work,
doubled sided tape doesn't work, a loop of Gorilla tape doesn't work.

I've got round "caps" for the smart ends and U shaped slip ons for the dumb end. Unless the
pad actually clips onto the clamp, it constantly falls off.

I've read about using adhesive backed cork as a more permanent solution. Before I spend the
time cutting and securing the cork...

1 - Is that a good solution?
2 - Is there a way to keep the rubber pads on? Some kind of degreaser for both the pad
and clamp and then some type of adhesive that works for both materials?

(I use wooden cauls/pads when appropriate. I'm just asking about keeping the rubber pads on
so I don't have to chase them around the shop anymore.)

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2018 10:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I have many clamps that have cork.. works great. I used carpet tape to
attach.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2018 9:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That is one of the exact reasons that I went with the parallel K-body
style clamps. The plastic covers do not come off. Be careful with the
Jet style, their plastic heads are a bit hard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 10:50:36 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but replacing all of my clamps is not an option.

My projects *cost* me money, not *make* me money.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Can you use epoxy to secure your present pads?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2018 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

;~(

My projects *cost* me money, not *make* me money.

Yeah... there is that. Any pad that will deform when "squshed" will
likely break the bond loose too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 3:21:24 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yeah... There is that too ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2018 3:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Thinking back.....I do recall someone using rare earth magnets to attach
a wooden pad to their bar clamps. It some how stuck on the side or back
so that the magnet would not be crushed. Something to think about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 3:29:59 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Thinking back.....I do recall someone using rare earth magnets to attach
a wooden pad to their bar clamps. It some how stuck on the side or back
so that the magnet would not be crushed. Something to think about.

I saw that on another site, somewhere. The poster took a drill and drilled the correct size to match his magnets and put a hole into the clamp faces just deep enough to hold his neodymium magnets in place with epoxy. Made a wood pad out of softwood, and simply pressed the magnet into the face side. The pads were about 3/8" to 1/2" thick and he used tiny magnets. According to him it worked great. Don't see why it wouldn't.

You might try this for less fuss. Find it somewhere where you can return it if it doesn't work. A lot of hardware stores carry the Household Goop. I have used it on other things and it can really hold well if the surfaces are pretty clean:

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...nyl&that=Metal

Since all my clamps have vinyl faces, I have looked for a solution myself. The vinyl gets old, stretched out, then lost. As it is, I look like a real pro out there with my clamp pads kept in place with duct tape.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 6:19:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I have used Dow 732 Silicone Sealant as an adhesive for years. Might be
worth a shot. Thanks for the idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2018 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2018 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 10:50:36 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/30/2018 9:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

That is one of the exact reasons that I went with the parallel K-body
style clamps.Â* The plastic covers do not come off.Â* Be careful with the
Jet style, their plastic heads are a bit hard.

Thanks, but replacing all of my clamps is not an option.

;~(

My projects *cost* me money, not *make* me money.

Yeah... there is that.Â* Any pad that will deform when "squshed" will
likely break the bond loose too.

Roughing up the mating surfaces (cork, rubber or?? and metal/plastic),
perhaps even drilling a TINY hole in the clamp face and then using
silicone sealant to join them? Even if the "squishing" breaks the main
bond, unless you pull at them the silicone that's migrated into the
holes drilled should keep them attached.

At one point I used some magnetic rubber strip material on the back of
smallish plywood squares to hold a protective (plywood) face in place.
Didn't work all that well but perhaps it would have if I'd drilled a
space for the clamp face to sit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:40:15 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Then, there is no ROI to figure into the picture. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 10:22:37 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I just saw these in the latest Rockler catalog. I'm not sure I like the idea of a "round peg in
square hole", so to speak, but they look like they would stay on.

http://www.rockler.com/clamp-pads-fo...-piston-clamps
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/18 10:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If I were you, I'd try the epoxy/cork option.
Cut the cork oversized, then trim with a razor after cure.
You can do the same with plumbers' rubber. It comes in sheets and cuts
to size.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just saw these in the latest Rockler catalog. I'm not sure I like the idea of a "round peg in
square hole", so to speak, but they look like they would stay on.

http://www.rockler.com/clamp-pads-fo...-piston-clamps

If you have a HF near by, might be worth a look.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-pair...ads-91952.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

At one point I used some magnetic rubber strip material on the back of
smallish plywood squares to hold a protective (plywood) face in place.

I did exactly the same thing with my pipe clamps. Main problem was the
magnetic strips weren't that strong. Have no idea where I got the
magnetic strips. Rare earth magnets should work better.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

I've used leather pads, cut from old gloves, attached with contact cement
for many years on all my clamps. Never had a problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2018 10:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Are you using pads for aluminum bar clamps? I never used pads on that
style clamp at all, only on the cast iron pipe clamp ends. Food for
thought.

You will certainly need to insure that you clamping force is flat on the
wood surface.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2018 8:55 AM, Jack wrote:

At one point I used some magnetic rubber strip material on the back of
smallish plywood squares to hold a protective (plywood) face in place.

I did exactly the same thing with my pipe clamps. Main problem was the
magnetic strips weren't that strong.Â* Have no idea where I got the
magnetic strips.Â* Rare earth magnets should work better.

Here
https://www.allelectronics.com/index...Bq%5D=ma gnet

is a supplier I get electronic parts from and have bought very strong
magnets from. (While I am very satisfied with this place, I am not
trying to advertise, just giving an example.) The NEODYMIUM magnets are
really strong, hard to believe. (The rubber strip magnets are very much
weaker!) There are quite a few places selling them. But availability has
decreased since there are fears young kids will swallow them. If you get
two or more in your guts they can pull the tubing around and close it
off, which also shows how strong the magnets are. I have a friend who
had a pet die after swallowing some.

Some are as thin as 0.2 inches, in that ad. There might be thinner ones
elsewhere. But even for thicker ones you could put the magnets in the
clamps, where you can use more depth without having to use thick pads,
then a thin piece of sheet steel on the back of the pads. Before
drilling you could test picking up some of whatever sheet steel you have
with one magnet, two, etc., to see what is needed to achieve strength
you want. I think one would probably do it, even for the very small
magnets, but it would be better to test before drilling holes in your
clamps. Don't make holes in a clamp that a magnet will just barely fit
into, though, if the surrounding metal is iron or steel! The surrounding
ferrous metal will "short circuit" the magnetic field. But if you make a
hole somewhat larger, say 3/8 inch for a 1/4 inch magnet, and fill the
space around the magnet with something like epoxy glue, then the
combination of the magnet itself and the surrounding metal as a
pole-piece will actually make the attraction even stronger.

I have Bessey clamps that I mostly use for nice glue-ups, but I also
have a number of other clamps this might be good for. (I have just been
putting in wooden shims as pads when necessary.) And I already have some
of those magnets, so I think I will give it a try. (I also have chronic
pains that sap most of my energy so it could be a long time before that
happens!)
Bob Wilson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:02:51 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just saw these in the latest Rockler catalog. I'm not sure I like the idea of a "round peg in
square hole", so to speak, but they look like they would stay on.

http://www.rockler.com/clamp-pads-fo...-piston-clamps

If you have a HF near by, might be worth a look.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-pair...ads-91952.html

Those are exactly what I have been chasing around the shop for the past
few years.

Notice the difference between those pads and the Rockler ones. It's
the wide open backs of the HF ones that cause them to fall off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 2:09:44 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

How do you avoid damaging the wood? Metal clamped to wood tends to leave a
mark, doesn't it?

I'm talking about these.

https://i.imgur.com/ODq6WZv.jpg

The Bessey's came with pads and they stay on fine. My old Jorgensens came
naked and those are the ones that are wearing me out, chasing the pads
across the shop. None of the generic pads fit.

I found links for Jorgensen 7437 pads but Amazon, Sears, B&H Photo, just
about everyone that carried them say they are no longer available. The
one place that claims they have them wants $4.31 for 4 pairs. Not bad,
but get this: Shipping is $12.95 for one set, 21.95 for 2 sets and $29.95
for 3 sets. WTF!

https://www.hammerheadsupply.com/pro...bar-clamp-pads

I'll keep looking for another source because those seem like they should
work.

You will certainly need to insure that you clamping force is flat on the
wood surface.

Those clamps would still dent softer woods, woodn't they? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Ok I'm sorry, I thought you might have been talking aluminum bar clamps.
Cast iron surfaces tend to be rough and very small clamping surfaces will
damage the wood.

Clamps with large, flat, and smooth surfaces normally are not an issue.

The Bessey's came with pads and they stay on fine. My old Jorgensens came
naked and those are the ones that are wearing me out, chasing the pads
across the shop. None of the generic pads fit.

I found links for Jorgensen 7437 pads but Amazon, Sears, B&H Photo, just
about everyone that carried them say they are no longer available. The
one place that claims they have them wants $4.31 for 4 pairs. Not bad,
but get this: Shipping is $12.95 for one set, 21.95 for 2 sets and $29.95
for 3 sets. WTF!

https://www.hammerheadsupply.com/pro...bar-clamp-pads

I'll keep looking for another source because those seem like they should
work.

You will certainly need to insure that you clamping force is flat on the
wood surface.

Those clamps would still dent softer woods, woodn't they? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm talking about these.

https://i.imgur.com/ODq6WZv.jpg

The Bessey's came with pads and they stay on fine. My old Jorgensens came
naked and those are the ones that are wearing me out, chasing the pads
across the shop. None of the generic pads fit.

I found links for Jorgensen 7437 pads but Amazon, Sears, B&H Photo, just
about everyone that carried them say they are no longer available. The
one place that claims they have them wants $4.31 for 4 pairs. Not bad,
but get this: Shipping is $12.95 for one set, 21.95 for 2 sets and $29.95
for 3 sets. WTF!

https://www.hammerheadsupply.com/pro...bar-clamp-pads

I'll keep looking for another source because those seem like they should
work.

You will probably need an adhesive with ANY replacemnet pad...

https://www.andersonplywood.com/pony...ny-tools-7437/

https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-310139...dp/B0057PU9KE/

https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-310139.../dp/B005PJQU1O

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-QUICK-G.../dp/B008CCLV8S
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 07:22:31 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

2 - Is there a way to keep the rubber pads on? Some kind of degreaser

duct tape

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

(I use wooden cauls/pads when appropriate. I'm just asking about
keeping the rubber pads on so I don't have to chase them around the
shop anymore.)

3d print some that will clip on

or ditch them and use a scrap of wood and make it fit the clamp

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Mon, 5 Feb 2018
10:47:00 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

(I use wooden cauls/pads when appropriate. I'm just asking about
keeping the rubber pads on so I don't have to chase them around the
shop anymore.)

3d print some that will clip on

Barge cement.

That stuff will hold just about everything.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news5a369$o98$1
@dont-email.me:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

2 - Is there a way to keep the rubber pads on? Some kind of degreaser

duct tape

contact cement
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

2 - Is there a way to keep the rubber pads on? Some kind of degreaser

drum roll please as this is the ultimate solution

shrink tubing

ta da

well it depends on the shape of the pad and clamp there

one benefit is that you can cut off the shrink tubing and put on new
ones

not sure why i never thought of this before but i will try it
for a couple of slipping pads

if you get the tubing for underground cabling is has extra gunk so it
might work instead without the pads at all

could get on the work though

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Jorgensen clamp pads are made of a thermoplastic elastomer which gives them their resiliency. Without resorting to a patent search to learn exact grade of polymer I would guess it is an olefin based elastomer like a polypropylene or polyethylene. This type of material is typically molded in its net shape without additional processing steps. In over 50 years of woodworking I swear by the Jorgensen clamps. I have passed on all of my pipe clamps however I still have ~ 2 dozen Pony Bar clamps that I use for smaller projects over the past 35+ years.

In that time due to clamping and compressing the pads have become loose fitting so as a retired polymer engineer here is a tip. You can "post-cure" these elastomeric clamp pads in a typical kitchen oven. I have done this 2 or 3 times over the past 30+ years with acceptable results.

Remove the clamp pads from the clamp and I set them on a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Preheat the over to 280F and set a time for about 35 minutes. Remove them when done and reinstall them on the clamps. My experience has been better to install the pads while they are still warm vs. letting them completely cool. They slip on easier and seem to hold their shape better. If the material is as I suspect there id no fear for harmful vapors or ingredients to leech out and contaminate your oven or your home. I hope this helps