Posted to rec.woodworking

Default alexa in the shop - Redux

On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:01:22 +0000, Spalted Walt

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 19:32:24 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Mon, 5 Feb 2018
10:04:20 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:21:00 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a
microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

Even worse, a camera and microphone that's controlled by Bezos, or
similar.

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

My son gave us a Google speaker for Christmas. It still sits in its
box. I have no idea what I would do with such a thing. Paperweight?

"A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a
private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon's Alexa --
the voice-controlled smart speaker -- and that the recorded audio was
sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the
family’s contact list..."

http://amp.kiro7.com/www.kiro7.com/news/local/woman-says-her-amazon-device-recorded-private-conversation-sent-it-out-to-random-contact/755507974

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/05/24/amazon-alexa-records-conversation/

Well at least people are starting to finally become aware. Albeit
years late.

Google has been mining info for years and archiving it. Anything you
do on it. "baby cam's hacked all the time. Even the ones with their
one private communications. You could drive down a street and pick up
on all the camera's, even easier with wifi and a potato chip antennae.

Then look at all the cloud hacks, and phone hacks. Banks, stores, all
store your data, and your habits, desires, and lifestyles are easily
determined by all the shared info.

And now, when you post your phone photo's the address is embedded
right there. Useful for thieves. you should strip the info before
posting anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I have occasionally had to give Cortana time-out after she
started talking back to the television.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Are you aware that speak commands in audible to people can be embedded
in song, music, videos, etc. And it has been shown to be able to
instigate an order? So it isn't wise to have your CC #'s stored online
with various vendors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Shown by whom? I'd like some more info on that, if only just to protect
myself. Can you provide a cite?

So it isn't wise to have your CC #'s stored online
with various vendors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Cortana's not that bright. It can't even turn on the Amazon music
player, let alone buy anything.

And part of my job is making bots do things. It's not nearly as
simple as TV shows make it out to be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

O.k Im gonna Break in here
This is all a Gas about Alexa
but I think I prefer Alexis "Joan Collins" of Dynasty.
That's one B. You'd want on your side and not against You.
Just a Thought.
rick B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

For starters

http://www.afr.com/technology/the-se...0180516-h1055a

https://boingboing.net/2017/09/07/fl...lightning.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...Ax6SMc?ffid=gz

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Of course not, but it is getting easier and easier as programs
improve.

I can remember back when, when we embedded text in pictures, then
added "features" to that hidden over several pictures, and then
extracted and ran, this was back many years ago, about the time the
whole terrorist thing took off in Iraq.

Some things are really easy and simple to those who have a bent
towards creativity. Even back in the good old DOS days when some said
things couldn't be done. LOL.

BTW, I have been out of that scene now for years, and now am way
behind the times. We all just fade away......
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

This is another one of those FUD deals. You are far more likely to
drop dead of a heart attack than be effectively targeted by a
cybercriminal working through a device that you possess.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Possibly, but I think of all the times when talking that my phone or
watch thought I was taking to it and instituted a conversation.
"Siri".

But then it got me to thinking if I was in a bad situation I could
say, Seriously? Call 911? or similar that would open up my phone or
watch so the cops could hear and track me down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

In principle you can. In practice I can't get "OK Google" to do
anything except get confused.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Actually it has been on the news. TV commands placing orders with
Alexa. Our Echo often responds to the Echo commercials.
But that said, if yo did not authorize the purchase, you are not
responsible for the purchase. It is best to not let any internet site
store your CC number. I use one time CC number when I make purchases on
line. CitiCards calls it virtual credit card.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Poor example, dropping dead of a heart attach is a very common way of
dying, and everyone dies. Maybe the same chance as winning the
publishers clearing house sweepstakes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

That's a great idea but Citi is on my "never do business with under
any circumstances" list.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

On Iphone I did but not with the number 911, for obvious reasons.

Even using the word "series" triggers Siri.

She can translate into French, and Spanish and maybe one or two other
languages for now, but she doesn't always recognize all my words
correctly. I love giving text messages by voice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

I like that idea, and I have been considering switching from WF to it
because of all the internal problems they are going through.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

I feel the same about Bank of America and their rigidity in favoring
themselves over the consumer.

Can you put a few of your reasons up to think about?
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Politics. Political correctness. However you want to put it. My
business doesn't go to people/groups working directly against my
interests, if I can possibly avoid it. I'm sure they don't care about
my money but if there are enough of me, they might decide that banking
is their business, not politics.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. Something to think about and consider. I'll have to look for
that. I have a tendency to react like you do in this regard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Possibly, but I think of all the times when talking that my phone or
watch thought I was taking to it and instituted a conversation.
"Siri".

But then it got me to thinking if I was in a bad situation I could
say, Seriously? Call 911? or similar that would open up my phone or
watch so the cops could hear and track me down.

In principle you can. In practice I can't get "OK Google" to do
anything except get confused.

This surprises me. Of all the voice devices I have, Google is by far the
best. Rarely does it get confused and I use it all the time. Alexa gets
confused often. Voice texting screws up more often than not. My
Comcast Voice remote is shaky at best, particularly when telling it to
Fast forward 4 minutes (past commercials). Rewind 20 seconds always
works though.

I think Comcast got in trouble from advertisers as that made it too easy
to skip commercials, and what used to work well, now suddenly only works
half the time.

"OK Google" however never ceases to amaze me how well it works. Often
you can watch it correct from what it thought you said to what you
really said. Somehow it recognizes the context of your statement and
gets it right 99% of the time.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com