Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Snap-Check+ Setup Tool - Opinions Wanted

What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I use a digital caliper for setting up my dado set width, measuring
plywood thickness for groves, and for measuring resulting thickness
after running material through my planer or drum sander.

I find that test cutting yields the best results when setting up the
router bit depth and setting TS blade height. I actually will measure
the results vs. tying to set the machine to an exact specific setting
before cutting.

The TS blade height is the hard one to measure. Which tooth is the
highest and is it at its maximum height when you take the measurement?
Same with the router and router table. With circular cutting tools it
is difficult to determine where to measure exactly, especially when you
get into measuring thousand's of an inch.

The measuring tool looks to be a good price and probably pretty accurate
but do you know exactly where to place it and where in the rotation of a
blade the tooth should be? Will that tooth be the one that cuts the
deepest or will it be the tooth 5 spaces away? Again, I like to measure
the results on test scraps vs. trying to set the machine up to be cut
perfectly the first time. I think you will find if you try to set up
the machine with this tool that you will end up making adjustments after
checking the results.

Pretty much the same goes with setting a rip fence to be parallel to the
blade. This is theoretically the idea setting for "Perfect" wood. But
who has perfect wood. Once again, when I adjust my rip fence to the
blade, I look for results/smoothness of cut on the wood.

I'm absolutely not saying that you should not try to be as accurate as
you can with your measurements, you absolutely want to be accurate. I'm
just saying that results of a set up are are more important than
accuracy of the set up. Remember, wood is not perfect.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/18 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the
page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have an iGaging angle cube and it works great.
Of course, any smart phone will do that trick now.
It's a shame they don't have the digital display on their aluminum model.

You have to be careful quality control of the iGaging stuff.
When I got my cube, it wasn't flat on a couple sides-- it was bowed. I
took it apart and fixed it by bending the case back in. Not something I
should have to do out of the box, but it works perfectly.

All that to say you just have to make sure it's all up to snuff during
the return-for-refund time. With those cheap prices come greater
potential for quality control issues.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/18 8:54 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Totally agree with everything you said, especially the part about making
adjustments after the first cut.

You spend all the time with a gauge getting the thing "perfectly set"
but it's not, really, until the test cut. So why not skip the fine
measuring and go right to the test cutting?

Now, on TOH they were using a CMS with length stops that had a digital
readout and it was set DNO to the saw blade. I would love one of those
and that would be a real, actual, time saver.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 10:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the
page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have an iGaging angle cube and it works great.
Of course, any smart phone will do that trick now.
It's a shame they don't have the digital display on their aluminum model.

You have to be careful quality control of the iGaging stuff.
When I got my cube, it wasn't flat on a couple sides-- it was bowed.Â* I
took it apart and fixed it by bending the case back in.Â* Not something I
should have to do out of the box, but it works perfectly.

All that to say you just have to make sure it's all up to snuff during
the return-for-refund time.Â*Â* With those cheap prices come greater
potential for quality control issues.

The electronic tilt box/cube/what ever brand.
Be careful if your equipment is on mobile equipment. I found that if I
lean on my TS the reading on the box changes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 11:15:50 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the
page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have an iGaging angle cube and it works great.
Of course, any smart phone will do that trick now.
It's a shame they don't have the digital display on their aluminum model.

You have to be careful quality control of the iGaging stuff.
When I got my cube, it wasn't flat on a couple sides-- it was bowed. I
took it apart and fixed it by bending the case back in. Not something I
should have to do out of the box, but it works perfectly.

The plastic frame and the sliding dovetail were the 2 "features" that jumped right out
at me as potential problems. At $22 there almost *has* to be issues.

All that to say you just have to make sure it's all up to snuff during
the return-for-refund time. With those cheap prices come greater
potential for quality control issues.

When dealing with "return for refund" on low priced items, the shipping costs almost
make it not worth it. Give it away or toss it on a shelf.

Prime has it for $23. Cheaper than chipsfly after shipping. I might just spend $23 for a
new toy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/18 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yes, you find that out in a hurry.
Great tool and I use/trust it when I need a DNO angle on the blade.

Since I brought up the phone app, I think I'll do a side-by-side
comparison and see if either is more accurate than the other.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/18 10:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I think Prime has free return shipping on most things.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 12:03:09 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

On some items it's automatic, on some you need to pick a reason. The reason determines free
returns or not.

Since my family "shares" my daughter's college-discounted Prime account (even though she's
graduated) we just pick "Did not authorize" and it sets the return shipping to free.

We don't abuse the return policy, so it's not been an issue so far.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 10:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2018 10:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/18 6:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of
the page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have an iGaging angle cube and it works great. Of course, any
smart phone will do that trick now. It's a shame they don't have
the digital display on their aluminum model.

You have to be careful quality control of the iGaging stuff. When I
got my cube, it wasn't flat on a couple sides-- it was bowed.Â* I took
it apart and fixed it by bending the case back in.Â* Not
something I should have to do out of the box, but it works
perfectly.

All that to say you just have to make sure it's all up to snuff
during the return-for-refund time.Â*Â* With those cheap prices come
greater potential for quality control issues.

The electronic tilt box/cube/what ever brand. Be careful if your
equipment is on mobile equipment.Â* I found that if I lean on my TS
the reading on the box changes.

Yes, you find that out in a hurry.
Great tool and I use/trust it when I need a DNO angle on the blade.

Since I brought up the phone app, I think I'll do a side-by-side
comparison and see if either is more accurate than the other.

I keep my phone in a Defender and in the past an Otterbox case. Neither
work well with a tilt setup because of inconsistencies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 10:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Get some batteries too. I find that some of these tools tend to get
turned on unknowingly, especially the tilt box, and the battery is dead
when you want to use it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 12:36:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

A few months ago I needed a battery for my digital calipers.

Right next to the local Woodcraft is a store that specializes in batteries and bulbs. I stopped
in, showed him the button battery and he offered me 2 options:

A blister pack of 2 for $X or a small LED flashlight that contained 3 batteries for the same $X.
"You get 3 for the price of 2."

Either he was not an owner or his profit margin on the flashlights is much higher than on the
blister packs. Either way, I saved money and ended up with 2 spares instead of 1.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

I bought a digital tape measure. I like it because it will convert to
metric. I am not a carpenter and seldom use a tape so it seemed that
every time I thought of it and tried to use it the battery was dead.
After a few battery changes I gave up and now it collects dust. I
already have a dust collector.

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/18 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I just did a side-by-side (literally) test between the cube and phone.
I set up a jig using a flat board and a bolt on one end that could be
turned to raise the height on that end, increasing the angle of the board.
I loaded several different level apps and sorted through until I found
the most accurate ones.
Bottom line is the phone seems incredibly sensitive and changed its
reading even before the cube. However, as accurate as it is, the
reading of both would vary from each other in the 100ths. So which was
correct? I don't know. :-)

However, the major difference, as you alluded to, is ease of use. I
can't fit the whole phone on a TS blade and I if I could, I'd have to
hold it against the blade.

The angle cube is very small and has magnets that hold it to the blade,
freeing your hands to adjust the saw. Ironically, the magnets on one
side of my cube allow it to slip, which the opposite side sticks solid.
Oh well.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/18 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Are these switched magnets?

I have a switched magnet cube at the base of a dial indicator rod. The cube can be used
upright or on its side. When on its base, the hold is super strong. When on its side, you can
slide it around.

I suspect that the magnets are only pointed toward the base. When on its side, I think you are
only getting the "residual" magnetic field, therefore it is much weaker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/18 10:39 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

No, and no.
All the magnets on all sides are their own deal and there for a reason.
You set the cube to 0 using the bottom magnets, then move it straight
over to the blade to get a 0 reading using the side magnets. No need to
rotate the cube. Great design.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

G Ross wrote in
:

I bought a digital tape measure. I like it because it will convert to
metric. I am not a carpenter and seldom use a tape so it seemed that
every time I thought of it and tried to use it the battery was dead.
After a few battery changes I gave up and now it collects dust. I
already have a dust collector.

I have a digital caliper like that. Useless thing drains the battery as it
sits there with the screen off. I guess it's trying to remember the
calibration or something, but it's really no trouble to rezero it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 1:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Or the batteries in the flashlight were crap brand. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

[...]

I solved the always dead battery in the calipers in a different way. There
are available, at a variety of price points, calipers that include a photo
cell for power as well as a back up battery. The one I have needs just a
couple of minutes under a lamp to enable making measurements. My watch
doesn't even have a battery - no more trying to figure out how to open the
case to change a battery.
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 5:10:57 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Could be, but unless someone wants to waste a few batteries doing a
regimented test, I don't really care. As you implied, these types of tools
tend to eat batteries, even if it's accidentally. Since it's kind of hard
to tell if the batteries are dying because of actual extended use or
just be left on or turning itself on, etc., I'd rather get 3 for the price
of 2.

I've sure got better things to do (like talk with you guys) than to monitor
the caliper battery life of one brand vs. another.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 04:55:36 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

What do you think of this setup tool? Scroll to the bottom of the page for a video.

http://www.chipsfly.com/product/35-572.html

I have little use for another tool with a digital display. I have too
many that always have dead batteries when I want to use them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John S" wrote in news
I solved the always dead battery in the
calipers in a different way. There are available, at a variety of
price points, calipers that include a photo cell for power as well as
a back up battery. The one I have needs just a couple of minutes
under a lamp to enable making measurements. My watch doesn't even
have a battery - no more trying to figure out how to open the case to
change a battery. John

Hey, that'd be great... Something like those solar powered (or room light
powered) calculators from the 90's. Just turn it on and use it. I can
press the zero button--it's not a problem!

I wonder if they're available somewhere?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

My caliper does well with batteries. My tilt box has a snug fitting vinyl
case that I think I end up turning the unit back on just getting it back in
the case. Another couple of electronic measures that I seldom use are dead
all the time. I use them to keep up with my dead batteries.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message ...

"John S" wrote in news
I solved the always dead battery in the
calipers in a different way. There are available, at a variety of
price points, calipers that include a photo cell for power as well as
a back up battery. The one I have needs just a couple of minutes
under a lamp to enable making measurements. My watch doesn't even
have a battery - no more trying to figure out how to open the case to
change a battery. John

Hey, that'd be great... Something like those solar powered (or room light
powered) calculators from the 90's. Just turn it on and use it. I can
press the zero button--it's not a problem!

I wonder if they're available somewhere?

Puckdropper

--Of course they are available - I do have one. Try an Amazon search
for solar digital calipers. Some are less than $25.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2018 11:46 AM, John S wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message ...

"John S" wrote in news
I solved the always dead battery in the
calipers in a different way. There are available, at a variety of
price points, calipers that include a photo cell for power as well as
a back up battery. The one I have needs just a couple of minutes
under a lamp to enable making measurements. My watch doesn't even
have a battery - no more trying to figure out how to open the case to
change a battery. John

Hey, that'd be great... Something like those solar powered (or room
light
powered) calculators from the 90's. Just turn it on and use it. I can
press the zero button--it's not a problem!

I have a credit card sized solar powered calculator called "Mighty Thin"
I bought at Radio Shack in the '70's and not only does it work perfect
with my just my shop lights, but it works off the non-replaceable
battery as well. I can cover the solar cell with my finger and the
damned thing still works. How does a battery last over 40 years?

I also had a multi-meter that had 2 AA batteries that lasted almost that
long. The batteries had no labels when I replaced them, that's how I
knew they were originals. Also recall a childrens book that played
"Iitsy Bitsy Spider" when you opened it. Thing was sitting on book
shelf for around 15 years and it still worked when opened. Go Figure

That's it though, all my other battery experiences have not been any
where near these 3 items.

My digital calibers (not solar) can't keep a battery between uses.
Everytime I use it I need a new battery. Solved that problem by removing
the battery after use, and keeping it in the case.
Same with my Wixy tilt thing-ee, batteries don't last between uses. Both
of these have auto off. I think they should call it auto battery eaters.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
[...]

Batteries in all of my Tv remotes and the like seem to last forever too.
And those things get used a lot compared to seldom used measuring devices.
My electronic caliper seems to be the only battery shop measuring device
that the battery lasts as long as you might expect.