Posted to rec.woodworking

Default your oldest power tool

mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2018 3:01 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

I'd guess that my Craftsman circular saw is about the vintage -- I've
relegated it to the dirty task of masonry cutting. I did have an even older
electric drill but it got dropped from a stepladder and bent the shaft and,
seeing no way to repair it, I junked it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2018 2:01 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Oldest still in active use would be B&D 1/2" drill in press that had
been around quite a while when I was a pup...I'd guess it dates from
mid-50s; certainly had been in the shop for a number of years by time I
finished HS in '63; I don't remember ever _not_ having it.

There are several others of roughly same vintage in hand drills, saws,
etc. The small B&D saw is one of "go to's". All that's been done to
any of 'em replace power cords and a couple of bearings that I know of.

As long as internals don't fail as in wearing out or breaking gears,
etc., what's to do?

Oh, I did replace the power switch on the saw a few years ago...a
close-enough match to fit was in the selection at the local Ace; of
course there are no actual parts available.

The latter bugs me immensely as I have at least three 3x24 belt sanders
(B&D 7440 iirc) that have the motor mounted _between_ the wheels so the
balance is better than anything on the market today. Unfortunately, the
drive gear matching the end of the rotor wears out and there are no
replacements available any longer (nor have been for 20+ yr now) and
haven't been able to find anything on open source that fits. Having one
machined was excessively expensive altho that raises the recent question
of what might be done with new 3D printer technology? Maybe I'll take
one in to the local community college machining class and see what they
can do...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:01:39 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Does "I could have had but decided against it" count?

When I cleaned out Grandpa's shop last year I could have kept his table saw, which easily dates back to the 40's.

This one looks brand new compared to Gramp's unit, but the style is the
same, right down to the bench top that it's mounted to.

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/vinta.../161949005170/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:01:36 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

I bought my Crapsman RAS in '76.

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

Not likely. If you're worried about it, use it with a GFCI.

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Likely, though you'd be surprised what you can find in an good
hardware store (and, of course, online).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 16:39:55 -0600, dpb wrote:

[...]

I've got a 1958 8 inch Skill Worm Drive saw - replaced the power cord
on it last summer.
I also have a Stanley J4A power door planer from about 1954 - in
perfect original operating condition.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 17:10:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:01:39 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Does "I could have had but decided against it" count?

When I cleaned out Grandpa's shop last year I could have kept his table saw, which easily dates back to the 40's.

This one looks brand new compared to Gramp's unit, but the style is the
same, right down to the bench top that it's mounted to.

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/vinta.../161949005170/

I sold my old 8 inch Beaver table saw about 5 years ago - it was
mid-fifties. My 4 inch jointer was the same age, roughly. Sold it too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Thu, 18 Jan 2018
12:01:36 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Some times, you get to bite the bullet, and replace with a newer
one.

I've a 3/8 variable speed craftsman drill. It still gets hauled
out for the occasional task, but mostly I'm using the cordless.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 10:39:27 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Electric Comet on Thu, 18 Jan 2018
12:01:36 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Some times, you get to bite the bullet, and replace with a newer
one.

I've a 3/8 variable speed craftsman drill. It still gets hauled
out for the occasional task, but mostly I'm using the cordless.

I've got a circa-1980 Skil Xtra Tool. 3/8" variable speed drill with 3 settings: Drill, Hammer
Drill and Hammer Only, also known as chisel mode.

It came with some long bits that you could (supposedly) use for scraping paint, cutting
grooves, etc. when in chisel mode.

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/skil-.../191723132907/

I used to work at a company that had point-based safety program. There was catalog
of stuff from which you could redeem your days-witout-an-incident points or points earned
for reporting an unsafe situation. That's where I got the Xtra Tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 19:40:13 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Thu, 18 Jan 2018
12:01:36 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Some times, you get to bite the bullet, and replace with a newer
one.

I've a 3/8 variable speed craftsman drill. It still gets hauled
out for the occasional task, but mostly I'm using the cordless.

My oldest is the Craftsman radial arm saw. I had a Milwaukee 3/8 inch
corded drill that I gave away to somebody who was doing some major
home renovations, and a Bosch jigsaw that died the death (It's
repairable but the part isn't in stock closer than England and I
couldn't figure out a process for ordering it).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:01:39 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Anybody know how old a Rockford R-6 bench grinder might be? I've got one that is in great
shape.

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/2075/item/126
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in news
*snip*

The latter bugs me immensely as I have at least three 3x24 belt
sanders (B&D 7440 iirc) that have the motor mounted _between_ the
wheels so the balance is better than anything on the market today.
Unfortunately, the drive gear matching the end of the rotor wears out
and there are no replacements available any longer (nor have been for
20+ yr now) and haven't been able to find anything on open source that
fits. Having one machined was excessively expensive altho that raises
the recent question of what might be done with new 3D printer
technology? Maybe I'll take one in to the local community college
machining class and see what they can do...

How big of gear are we talking? How many teeth and what's the OD?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 20:23:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:01:39 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Anybody know how old a Rockford R-6 bench grinder might be? I've got one that is in great
shape.

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/2075/item/126

I'd say late seventies - it's made in Taiwan. Generally post vietnam
war era would be a pretty safe bet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 12:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
dpb wrote in news
*snip*

The latter bugs me immensely as I have at least three 3x24 belt
sanders (B&D 7440 iirc) that have the motor mounted _between_ the
wheels so the balance is better than anything on the market today.
Unfortunately, the drive gear matching the end of the rotor wears out
and there are no replacements available any longer (nor have been for
20+ yr now) and haven't been able to find anything on open source that
fits. Having one machined was excessively expensive altho that raises
the recent question of what might be done with new 3D printer
technology? Maybe I'll take one in to the local community college
machining class and see what they can do...

How big of gear are we talking? How many teeth and what's the OD?

It's been too long to recall exactly otomh so I'll have to dig one out
to be precise, but roughly 2"OD, probably 60-tooth or so...that's
probably a little high; more like in 40-ish neighborhood probably.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/18/2018 2:01 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Oldest still in active use would be B&D 1/2" drill in press that had
been around quite a while when I was a pup...I'd guess it dates from
mid-50s; certainly had been in the shop for a number of years by time I
finished HS in '63; I don't remember ever _not_ having it.

There are several others of roughly same vintage in hand drills, saws,
etc.Â* The small B&D saw is one of "go to's".Â* All that's been done to
any of 'em replace power cords and a couple of bearings that I know of.

As long as internals don't fail as in wearing out or breaking gears,
etc., what's to do?

Oh, I did replace the power switch on the saw a few years ago...a
close-enough match to fit was in the selection at the local Ace; of
course there are no actual parts available.

The latter bugs me immensely as I have at least three 3x24 belt sanders
(B&D 7440 iirc) that have the motor mounted _between_ the wheels so the
balance is better than anything on the market today.Â* Unfortunately, the
drive gear matching the end of the rotor wears out and there are no
replacements available any longer (nor have been for 20+ yr now) and
haven't been able to find anything on open source that fits.Â* Having one
machined was excessively expensive altho that raises the recent question
of what might be done with new 3D printer technology?Â* Maybe I'll take
one in to the local community college machining class and see what they
can do...

--

My dad used to work for Western Electric back in the lat 40's and early
50's. I inherited his company soldering iron and it has to be at least

My oldest power tools that I still have is a B&D drill, I got for
Christmas, when I was 13.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:01:39 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

I don't have any really old tools, but do have a couple of 50 year old
electric appliances. Age alone does not make them unsafe, usually
mishandling of cords causing them to fray or crack where it bends.
Check the insulation. Of course, tools stored in a damp shed or garage
may be damaged from years of corrosion and bearings can dry up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 9:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:01:39 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

I don't have any really old tools, but do have a couple of 50 year old
electric appliances.Â* Age alone does not make them unsafe, usually
mishandling of cords causing them to fray or crack where it bends. Check
the insulation.

Tell that to the people in California. ;~) Where a water sprinkler now
causes cancer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Davis-Wells 20" bandsaw, I suppose it's the serial that's on the table - #2251. Looks like the 1947 model shown on OWWM site.

'56 Craftsman lathe; '64 (I think) Rockwell drill press - model 62-413 or 52-413, hard to read the label; '60s (I think) Rockwell router 150 M; 60s? Rockwell circular saw (Cat # 70)

*My shaving horse was made from the limbs of a 200 yr old walnut tree. Does that count?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in news
On 1/19/2018 12:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

How big of gear are we talking? How many teeth and what's the OD?

It's been too long to recall exactly otomh so I'll have to dig one out
to be precise, but roughly 2"OD, probably 60-tooth or so...that's
probably a little high; more like in 40-ish neighborhood probably.

That sounds doable for both 3D printing and flat milling. Most gears are
hobbed from rod, but you can also just cut the gear from flat stock using
a mill.

3D Printing:
Shapeways can probably do that, all you need is the file. (I have not
tried this, but it looks like you'll be well within the capabilities of
their machine.) Here's the trick: That OD is not the OD the gear goes
by. You need to figure out the pitch circle diameter. I usually do that
by plugging in the number of teeth (count, count, count and count again)
and OD where it says pitch circle diameter, then selecting a standard
diametrical pitch or mod and recalculating the pitch circle diameter.

Depending on the tool you use, you can then print at full scale and place
your gear on top of the print out. Any errors will show up.

Milling:
My handy drawing program says for a 60T 2" gear, the maximum endmill is
..050", I run .031" EMs in my mill all the time. It depends on how thick
that gear is as to whether that tiny EM can cut it from flat stock,
though. More than about 1/4" and it'll just be too big. (I might be
able to carefully flip the gear over and get 1/2", but it's hard to get
that exactly exact.

I'd be willing to give it a try, it'll be nice to see a usable gear come
out of the machine. I often work on models with .3 mod gears and the
teeth are just too fine to cut with an end mill. (If you just look at
those tiny mills wrong, they break.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 2:01:39 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

A Craftsman Drill Press I picked up at a garage sale for $45 cleaned it up and it works great Dates to 1938 - 1940
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message news
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

I have a 1905 Crescent 36" bandsaw... Electrical? It has a new Baldor 1
phase 5 hp motor--I sold off the 3 phase 5 hp that had new bearings
installed, cleaning and testing. The consumable things like bearings,
blades, and tires are readily available and all the cast iron is fine.

Beyond that I have a Porter Cable circular saw, drywall driver, and drill
that date from about '85 and a bunch of other PC tools that range from about
18-22 years old. With replacement parts available I fix them as needed... a
cord here, a base plate there. The random orbit sander has needed the most
work -- base plates/dust collection.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet"Â* wrote in message news
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

I have a 1905 Crescent 36" bandsaw... Electrical? It has a new Baldor 1
phase 5 hp motor--I sold off the 3 phase 5 hp that had new bearings
installed, cleaning and testing. The consumable things like bearings,
blades, and tires are readily available and all the cast iron is fine.

Beyond that I have a Porter Cable circular saw, drywall driver, and
drill that date from about '85 and a bunch of other PC tools that range
from about 18-22 years old. With replacement parts available I fix them
as needed... a cord here, a base plate there. The random orbit sander
has needed the most work -- base plates/dust collection.

I have a rock. It's gotta be at least 100 million years old.
If I hold it above a walnut and let go, gravity powers it to
crack the shell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unisaw 1948 vintage
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:25:04 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Speaking of Christmas, I have a Christmas cactus that my mother bought
the year I was born. Dad's drill is long gone. Never liked it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:33:01 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/19/2018 9:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 3:01:39 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

I don't have any really old tools, but do have a couple of 50 year old
electric appliances.* Age alone does not make them unsafe, usually
mishandling of cords causing them to fray or crack where it bends. Check
the insulation.

Tell that to the people in California. ;~) Where a water sprinkler now
causes cancer.

Probably does, if you eat it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 11:10:09 AM UTC-6, Puckdropper wrote:

I'd be willing to give it a try, it'll be nice to see a usable gear come
out of the machine. I often work on models with .3 mod gears and the
teeth are just too fine to cut with an end mill. (If you just look at
those tiny mills wrong, they break.)

Puckdropper

How cool would that be? Hope he takes you up on it!

Love to hear how it turns out if you go forward.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Wow! We'da killed the Christmas cactus long before now. LOL. I wife
gets one about every 4~5 years and it will last about 3 years. IIRC all
you have to do is water it. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Yep, it's 65 years old. My wife and I have been carting it with us
every time we've moved over the last 40ish years. It's about 4'
across now. They don't like extreme heat or cold so it gets moved in
the car with us (fun). It gets fertilized twice or three times a year
and then watered every couple of weeks and when it looks like it needs
it (more in the Winter).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Good one Leon -
My dad also worked for Western Electric and Bell Labs. He started in
the 20's in a vacuum tube plant in Chicago. I have his Iron some hand
tools and tool pouch. He retired long after 50 years and Bell Labs held
retirement up while he completed his 250,000 page manual. Research
Design and Director of Western. He retired out of one of his babies -
Concrete North Dakota. Big Radar. It is still working. Sisters to
this, solid state for the most part are in Hawaii and Alaska .....
They were designed to protect us from the North Korean missiles.

Electrical hum. I discarded my 1949 two wire metal case Drill motor
two years ago.

My surface grinders 50's and my Metal lathe 1952 are likely the best.
Metal lathe is a Sheldon L-44 Dad and I bought in the basement of a very
large Hardware store, Sacramento. We brought the War G case home with
us and box after box of tools and cutters. The box was new. And it sits
next to the Lathe. War grade means the beautiful Oak cabinet was
covered with Silk and then Painted Black. The box opens to oak faces.
[ I still have (last I looked) the bill of sale for the lathe ]
Martin

On 1/19/2018 9:25 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

fits.Â* Having one machined was excessively expensive altho that raises
the recent question of what might be done with new 3D printer
technology?Â* Maybe I'll take one in to the local community college
machining class and see what they can do...

--

My dad used to work for Western Electric back in the lat 40's and early
50's.Â* I inherited his company soldering iron and it has to be at least
63 years old, he no longer worked for Western Electric when I was born.

My oldest power tools that I still have is aÂ* B&D drill, I got for
Christmas, when I was 13.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2018 11:10 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I'd be willing to give it a try, it'll be nice to see a usable gear come
out of the machine. I often work on models with .3 mod gears and the
teeth are just too fine to cut with an end mill. (If you just look at
those tiny mills wrong, they break.)

Puckdropper

Thanks...I intended to go get the pieces-parts out of the drawer
yesterday while was nice out but got side-tracked on "must-do's" and
didn't get that far. I'll try to follow up although as I begin to
recollect, it seems that now I'm recalling it is actually the worm
gearing cut on the end of the rotor shaft or the matching gear to it
that drives the larger that is the set of matching teeth that give out.

The tiny diameter (3/8"???) worm drives the primary drive gear; it's a
two-gears-in-one arrangement where the inside matches the worm and the
outer drives the rest of the gear chain so it's not just a single flat gear.

As said, I need to go get pieces and make pitchures...I don't believe I
ever found a parts drawing online to point at.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 10:25:23 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Your mention of the soldering iron reminded me that I still have Grandpa's
HYDElectric HE 200 Paint Remover/Putty Softener. It runs on 115V AC/DC.

https://i.imgur.com/EIID8DV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1TBLWfr.jpg?1

I don't know how old it is. The only reference I can find is for a newer
looking models circa 1966. I think this one is much older.

https://tinyurl.com/HYDElectricHE200

My neighbor stripped his cedar shake house down to bare cedar with a
combination of hand scraping, power sanding and my (actually Grandpa's)
HYDElectric Paint Remover. Stunk up the neighborhood for weeks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in news
[...]

No rush, and now that I think of it they might have used helical gears.
I can cut a spur gear without much trouble, but helical is another story.
I'm not going to be able to cut a helical gear with my current set up.

I wonder if I could cut a form into a piece of O1, then use that like a
milling cutter with a rotary table to make the helical gear?

Obviously I can't promise anything, especially if they're helical gears.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2018 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:24:27 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

By any chance do you have a picture to share? I's love to see that plant.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2018 11:39 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Good one Leon -
My dad also worked for Western Electric and Bell Labs.Â* He started in
the 20's in a vacuum tube plant in Chicago.Â*Â* I have his Iron some hand
tools and tool pouch.

Actually I may have a pair of Western Electric side cutter and long nose
pliers. AKA diagonal and needle nose.

Â* He retired long after 50 years and Bell Labs held
retirement up while he completed his 250,000 page manual.

Jeez that is a lot of writing.

Research
Design and Director of Western.Â* He retired out of one of his babies -
Concrete North Dakota.Â* Big Radar. It is still working.Â* Sisters to
this, solid state for the most part are in Hawaii and Alaska .....
They were designed to protect us from the North Korean missiles.

Electrical hum.Â* I discarded my 1949 two wire metal case Drill motor
two years ago.

My surface grinders 50's and my Metal lathe 1952 are likely the best.
Metal lathe is a Sheldon L-44 Dad and I bought in the basement of a very
large Hardware store, Sacramento.Â* We brought the War G case home with
us and box after box of tools and cutters.Â* The box was new. And it sits
next to the Lathe.Â*Â* War grade means the beautiful Oak cabinet was
covered with Silk and then Painted Black.Â* The box opens to oak faces.

On 1/19/2018 9:25 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2018 4:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/18/2018 2:01 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
mine is a skil saw from the 70s i think

seems to run fine

am curious because i wonder if they can become unsafe to use in the
electrical sense and what to do besides replacemnt

guessing that replacement parts might be hard to come by

Oldest still in active use would be B&D 1/2" drill in press that had
been around quite a while when I was a pup...I'd guess it dates from
mid-50s; certainly had been in the shop for a number of years by time
I finished HS in '63; I don't remember ever _not_ having it.

There are several others of roughly same vintage in hand drills,
saws, etc.Â* The small B&D saw is one of "go to's".Â* All that's been
done to any of 'em replace power cords and a couple of bearings that
I know of.

As long as internals don't fail as in wearing out or breaking gears,
etc., what's to do?

Oh, I did replace the power switch on the saw a few years ago...a
close-enough match to fit was in the selection at the local Ace; of
course there are no actual parts available.

The latter bugs me immensely as I have at least three 3x24 belt
sanders (B&D 7440 iirc) that have the motor mounted _between_ the
wheels so the balance is better than anything on the market today.
Unfortunately, the drive gear matching the end of the rotor wears out
and there are no replacements available any longer (nor have been for
20+ yr now) and haven't been able to find anything on open source
that fits.Â* Having one machined was excessively expensive altho that
raises the recent question of what might be done with new 3D printer
technology?Â* Maybe I'll take one in to the local community college
machining class and see what they can do...

--

My dad used to work for Western Electric back in the lat 40's and
early 50's.Â* I inherited his company soldering iron and it has to be
at least 63 years old, he no longer worked for Western Electric when I
was born.

My oldest power tools that I still have is aÂ* B&D drill, I got for
Christmas, when I was 13.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 1:34:30 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/20/2018 11:39 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Good one Leon -
My dad also worked for Western Electric and Bell Labs.Â* He started in
the 20's in a vacuum tube plant in Chicago.Â*Â* I have his Iron some hand
tools and tool pouch.

Actually I may have a pair of Western Electric side cutter and long nose
pliers. AKA diagonal and needle nose.

How long of a cord do they have? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2018 12:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 1:34:30 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/20/2018 11:39 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Good one Leon -
My dad also worked for Western Electric and Bell Labs.Â* He started in
the 20's in a vacuum tube plant in Chicago.Â*Â* I have his Iron some hand
tools and tool pouch.

Actually I may have a pair of Western Electric side cutter and long nose
pliers. AKA diagonal and needle nose.

How long of a cord do they have? ;-)

I know you are kidding... But the Western Electric soldering iron
probably has a cord that is 20' long IIRC. I recall it being very long.