Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

In my work, I rarely build more than a "one off" to replace a cabinet. Haven't done a kitchen full of cabinets in 20 years... don't miss it! I used to use a plastic jig with index lines to mark where I drilled for hidden hinges. Marked, then off to the drill press. My little gauge is long lost (see the Rockler version) and I have simply marked my doors one at a time since I will usually do no more than two to six doors on a replacement.

But one of my amigos is going to build a few cabinets for himself and wants to put concealed hinges on the doors. I am used to measuring and for multiple doors or hardware pieces I always make a marking jig. (That way, if I screw up everything is wrong!) He can't measure well, doesn't understand jigs, and has no drill press.

I found this, and remember it was quite a bit more $$ in an earlier iteration. Gets great reviews, and even comes with that pesky 35mm bit with carbide cutters! Seems like a helluva steal, but just interested to see if anyone has used one of these. They sell them everywhere, about this price:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Company-.../dp/B01JQ74FMQ

Seems he could just clamp with a couple of squeeze clamps and drill away after getting set up. Certainly inexpensive enough to buy for the few cabinets he is going to make. Would really like to try it out myself!

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Keep in mind this isn't a production tool and he isn't opening a shop. He might do about 6=8 doors on this first go around.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/18 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

*IF* it's a great bit, it might be worth the price to just try it out.
I bought a really nice cutting bit and use my small (portable) drill
press set up with stops.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/f...de-tipped-35mm
That's what I use, with a shop vac to suck up the chips, when I have o
drill a lot of these.
That jig seems like a good way to go about it when you only have a few
doors and don't already own a good bit.
I can't imagine that bit being sharp for very long, but again, if you're
only doing a few doors, ok.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

The only concern I might have is with the cam adjustmnts that position the
jig from the stile edge of the door. That distance, normally 1/8" on euro
hinges, is critical. Too far away from the edge and the door will rub the
face frame every time the door is opened or closed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/18 8:43 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I watched the promo video on that link.
I guess the pros for it are the depth stop and horizontal guide, the
guide holes for the hinge screws, and the fact that the 35mm bit is
quickly removable. BTW, it *is* the same style of bit I have, with the
carbide cutters that slice a the circumference of the hole before
hogging out the inside-- so I guess that's another pro.

The cons in my mind...
-The have an adjustable edge stop, why no integrated vertical
positioning stop?
-Two clamps!? I mean, I know there's no way to clamp the center of the
thing. My guess is, after about 3 holes, you're going to quit using one
or both clamps. Once the 35mm bit enters the surface of the door, it's
not going anywhere.

In any case, considering I high quality 35mm bit can be 30 bucks, alone,
I think it would be great for someone who's not real confident at
drilling for cup hinges. I'm not sure that would save you or I any time
or accuracy. I can use a marking guide and have door 6 hole locations
marked on the door by the time I lined that thing up to a mark. Then I
can have the first cup hole drilled, free hand (using the height of the
bit as a depth guide) before I'd have those two clamped attached. That
would get me through 3 or 4 doors, until I decided I wanted to set up a
drill press station.

If someone were buying this to replace hinges in their entire kitchen,
they'd be better off getting a drill press and setting up a station with
stops. You can get an able bench-top press for well under $100.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not following. Isn't that what the cam adjustments are for on the jig? Are you saying that they may not be sturdy enough to hold it well?

And Mike, good thoughts on the drill bit. They sell this contraption at Woodcraft so I can go over there sometime next week and make sure the carbide bit has two little ears on it that cut as well. I remember way back when when the cheaper sets did not have that.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/18 10:47 AM, wrote:
I'm not following. Isn't that what the cam adjustments are for on the
jig? Are you saying that they may not be sturdy enough to hold it
well?

And Mike, good thoughts on the drill bit. They sell this contraption
at Woodcraft so I can go over there sometime next week and make sure
the carbide bit has two little ears on it that cut as well. I
remember way back when when the cheaper sets did not have that.

Robert

It does have the "ears" on the edges.
https://www.kregtool.com/store/c61/h...hinge-jig-bit/
Considering they sell the replacement bit for 17 bucks, it makes me
wonder how long it would stay sharp.

The expensive bit I have did noticeably dull about 2/3 into the project
for which I bought it. The "ears" didn't dull and still cut perfectly
clean edges, but the flat "hogging" cutting edges seemed to slow down
quite a bit.
At least they're flat and can be resharpened on the fly.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 2018, wrote
(in ):

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Company-KHI-HINGE-Concealed-Hinge/dp/B01JQ74FMQ

Seems he could just clamp with a couple of squeeze clamps and drill away
after getting set up. Certainly inexpensive enough to buy for the few
cabinets he is going to make. Would really like to try it out myself!

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Keep in mind this isn't a production tool
and he isn't opening a shop. He might do about 6=8 doors on this first go
around.

Robert

I have never used this jig, but when I did my usual Amazon assessment by
reading thr one-star reviews, then too-star, and so on, a few bg themes
emerged: The forstner drill bit is too dull to be used, from the start. The
design does not allow adequate shaving excavation. The plastic bearing that
aligns and locates the fostner bit soon melts (probably due to and/or
triggered by the dull fostner bit heating up).

At which point I baled out.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 3:24:15 PM UTC-6, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I have never used this jig, but when I did my usual Amazon assessment by
reading thr one-star reviews, then too-star, and so on.

Joe Gwinn

I am glad you pointed that out. When a product only has 3% one star reviews, and 3% 2 star reviews, I just glance a them.

After reading you post I went to them and read all the reviews. It seems that at least most want a hard use, professionally engineered, metal jig with hardened drill inserts and infinitely adjustable location controls made from metal to meet their standards. When WoodPeckers release their jigs to that standard (such as their doweling jig), they are in the $500 - $700 cost range, when available. For my buddy, I doubt he will do more than 6 doors on this project.

This is a $30 jig that includes the bit. Could there be improvements? Sure. Hit that price point? Doubtful. Will any jig make everyone happy? Nope. BTW, reading the 4 star reviews, on most reviews I wasn't sure why they gave it a 4 instead of a five as the reviewers seemed pleased. And one of the guys that gave it three stars said that the bit didn't hold up when using it in his router...!!

The salient points made by Leon and Mike are certainly the most pertinent. (Thanks, guys!)

I found that the cams have 1mm click stop movement. No reports of them not being adjustable enough to work well, except in one of the one star reviews where one cabinet maker declared that sometimes it all comes down to 1/2 millimeter for accuracy. From a plastic jig with a hand held drill? Yeah, right. If it comes down to 1/2 of one millimeter (0.019") to make your projects correct when using a hand held plastic jig, then you should be doing brain surgery, not making cabinets. So, I will check Leon's box.

So Mike, your observation seems to have some merit as a few folks thought the forstner bits weren't sharp. This could be something, it could be nothing. Forstner bits weren't meant to be used by hand, so it's hard to get a good take on this one. On one hand I would doubt that the home woodworker would know that drilling hard white oak with this contraption by hand would be a bad idea, but on the other Kreg doesn't provide any warning about drilling really hard woods, small knots, or anything else. It also doesn't warn against running your drill at high speed. I think I will meet with him to check out the bit before he uses it if he gets the jig at WoodCraft.

While I can't find anything I like better, my complaint would be different from both of those. It has a scales on it to enable you to measure every time for accuracy. For me, the key to a good jig is its repeatability. I don't like the fact that this jig requires a manual placement each time it is used to determine the offset from the top or bottom of the door. I think Kreg licensed this from someone that was making it as there are multiple producers of this jig. Many Chinese stores on Aliexpress have this jig and have had it for some time. The Chinese version looks almost exactly like the Kreg but it has stop pins on it to speed the indexing and placement and comes with the 1/16" drill bit. With two adjacent sides positively indexed, you should probably be able use just one clamp in operation, which isn't available on the Kreg.

If my buddy was a little more trusting of his skills, I would help him do what I did when these jigs were almost impossibly expensive and still didn't work. First, with a bunch pf doors to do, I used my bench drill press and a lucite marking jig from Woodcraft. Then, a 35mm bit and a stop collar. Done.

These days, if I had just a few to do I would make my jig out of 1x4, with indexes in where I wanted them, and using the 1x4 setup as a guide, drill down with a bit/stop collar setup. Yes, the jig would only be good for one size hinge from one manufacturer but would be quick to make and test. Sadly, he is still at the phase of his woodworking experience where he feels he needs exactly the right store bought tool for the job, so a two sided frame of 1x4 with a template centered in it would be too much for him to trust.

Thanks for the input!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

So Mike, your observation seems to have some merit as a few folks
thought the forstner bits weren't sharp. This could be something, it
could be nothing. Forstner bits weren't meant to be used by hand,
so it's hard to get a good take on this one. On one hand I would
doubt that the home woodworker would know that drilling hard white
oak with this contraption by hand would be a bad idea, but on the
other Kreg doesn't provide any warning about drilling really hard
woods, small knots, or anything else. It also doesn't warn against
running your drill at high speed. I think I will meet with him to
check out the bit before he uses it if he gets the jig at WoodCraft.

I suspected that the bit might not be the best, but surly the thing can
cut 12 holes.
I just made a test cut in some rock maple with the bit I got from
Woodcraft.
The holes edges, cut by the pointed wings, were pristine. When it got
to the flat cutting edges for hogging, it slowed down a lot and stalled.
Of course, I may be going too fast. But also, all the edges on this
bit can be hand sharpened.

If my buddy was a little more trusting of his skills, I would help
him do what I did when these jigs were almost impossibly expensive
and still didn't work. First, with a bunch pf doors to do, I used
my bench drill press and a lucite marking jig from Woodcraft. Then,
a 35mm bit and a stop collar. Done.

These days, if I had just a few to do I would make my jig out of
1x4, with indexes in where I wanted them, and using the 1x4 setup as
a guide, drill down with a bit/stop collar setup. Yes, the jig would
only be good for one size hinge from one manufacturer but would be
quick to make and test. Sadly, he is still at the phase of his
woodworking experience where he feels he needs exactly the right
store bought tool for the job, so a two sided frame of 1x4 with a
template centered in it would be too much for him to trust.

If I had a woodworking school or taught it, after learning proper tool
use, I would spend the next sessions in teaching how to build 10 or 12
essential jigs. And I wouldn't show them any up front-- they'd have to
make their first attempts with their minds and intuition.

No building anything until they learned to build simple jigs.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

I have a couple of cabinet doors that need hinges, so I ordered the
Kreg jig, it arrived yesterday. I'll give it a try this
afternoon and report back. First impressions were that it
was definitely worth the price - the forstner bit looks well
made with nickers and full carbide cutters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/18 9:21 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

Looking forward to the report.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:21:15 AM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I have a couple of cabinet doors that need hinges, so I ordered the
Kreg jig, it arrived yesterday. I'll give it a try this
afternoon and report back. First impressions were that it
was definitely worth the price - the forstner bit looks well
made with nickers and full carbide cutters.

Like MIKE, I am too! Will be good to hear from a voice you can trust.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 10:21:15 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

Awaiting the report!

If possible, please include your opinion on longevity. I eventually will need
to install 40-ish hinges in doors made from 1 x poplar.

As Leon has mentioned, Kreg jigs typically look like a great idea, but don't
always live up to their (own) hype.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

Do you have a drill press?
It goes pretty fast with a press and vac hose attached.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

Yes, a bench-top DP, for which I made a 18" deep x 24" wide table for.

I'm sure it will work with a couple of stops attached, but I'm still
interested in the jig - as apparently are you. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

It would be nice to have in a toolbox in the van for just such an
occasion.
IF it's all it's cracked up to be.
I don't like jigs that make the job slower than I could do it without
the jig. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

Just attach a fence to the DP and mark where the center of the hole will
be on the fence. Then align the mark on the door to the mark on the
fence and that is plenty good enough. No stops needed. I have cut
several hundred hinge holes this way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

Last full kitchen hinge replacement job I did, I used similar set-up,
but I didn't mark the doors at all. Instead of marking the fence where
the hinge goes, you mark the fence for the top/bottom of the doors.
They all get spaced the same, so that means you don't have to even mark
the doors.

Next time, I may put flip-stops on the fence to make it even more full
proof.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/15/18 9:21 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I have a couple of cabinet doors that need hinges, so I ordered the
Kreg jig, it arrived yesterday. I'll give it a try this
afternoon and report back. First impressions were that it
was definitely worth the price - the forstner bit looks well
made with nickers and full carbide cutters.

Looking forward to the report.

tl;dnr The jig worked as advertised.

After removing from the blisterpack, and RTFM, I removed
the handy click-on protective cap from the bit, wiped
the thin coat of light oil and inspected the carbide cutters.

There are two full radius carbide cutters with two diamond
shaped carbide nickers leading each cutter by 90 degrees.

http://www.lurndal.org/images/forstner_bit.jpg

After removing the drill collar from the base, I installed the
bit and snugged the stop collar up to the ledge milled into the
shank at the correct point to produce the
correct depth-of-cut. The supplied allen wrench stores conveniently in a
snap-in space on the bottom of the base of the jig.

I clamped the stock in the tailvise, then clamped the jig to
the stock/bench, chucked the bit into the drill, installed
the guide into the base (a quarter turn locks it in place)
and drilled the hole effortlessly. The bit cut clean and
fast.

http://www.lurndal.org/images/done_drilling.jpg

Two holes on the jig guide a 1/16" bit to pre-drill for the
hinge screws.

http://www.lurndal.org/images/final_hole.jpg

The offset from the edge of the stile was exactly as specified
per the manual with the offset adjustment cams set to 5. The
cams are solid and will not shift in use.

Worth the price, at least with one hole drilled so far, I see
no reason that this wouldn't suffice for someone who builds a few
cabinets anually, and may even be more convenient than a drill press
in some cases.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 6:25:43 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Next time, I may put flip-stops on the fence to make it even more full
proof.

That's how the Blum hinge boring machines work - they have flip stops. But for odd sized doors or one-off cabinets I would install the plates first. I found that the ones we used sort of came to a point at the center. I'd then push the edge of the door against them in the opening with appropriate shim under the bottom. This left little indents that I'd then mark with a saddle square around to the back, which I'd then line up with the center line on the boring machine. Very quick, very accurate. I'm sure not all cup hinges have this - we used the Blum brand.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

For that many doors, you might want to look at the Rockler jig. I
bought one but haven't used it (sorry, no report).

http://www.rockler.com/jig-it-deluxe-concealed-hinge-drilling-system
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

Want to sell it to me for the cost of shipping? ;-)

Seriously, do you have a project that you bought it for?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

That works too if only putting a lower and upper hinge. For taller doors
that require 3 or more hinges marking the center of the hinge location
works for me.

Next time, I may put flip-stops on the fence to make it even more full
proof.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

You and your tall doors!
Ok, so you have to mark the center hinge on those you big baby. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

So, I visited a kinda new woodworker last night and he is doing some pretty
serious work, for a novice.
He already has a respectable collection of Festool and a collection of
larger equipment that is more entry level. Anyway he has the Kreg hinge
jig we are talking about!
He likes it, but that is all he has ever used to drill hinge holes. Yes he
has a DP but has not used it yet for anything.
His only dislike about the jig is that it gets clogged up with waste and
has to be cleaned out with each hole.
I would guess that it will be great when you are in a bind but not the
preferred method for several doors especially when you have a DP in the
shop. IMHO if you ever have the need to drill a hole for a hinge with no
access to a DP you can't miss for such a smash investment. And if you
have or get a DP you could use the bit from the jig to drill your holes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/18 12:34 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/16/2018 10:56 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/16/18 8:38 AM, Leon wrote:
Every time we get further into this discussion I remember more aspects
of that last, big replacement job I did.Â* Time is money for us and time
adds up very quickly.

I think the biggest time savers for me on that jog was having the vac
hose, locked in position the entire time, every time.Â* After more than
50 holes drilled, I had less debris on the floor than if I had drilled
one one without a vac.

Yeah! LOLÂ* I need to figure out a way to drill those holes with out my
wife holding the DC hose at the drill site.

Wait, surely Festool has it's own recessed hinge boring jig with dust
extraction and systainer!!
Why don't you own it? :-p

The other aspect that saved time/money was the fact that I didn't have
to measure or mark anything.Â* As fast as I could set the door on the
table, I was ready to drill.Â* The actual drilling was the slowest part
of the entire process.

Yeah, and as you mentioned, stops on the fence speed up production but
then I found that I double handled each door because the stops only
worked for one end of the door before relocating.Â* I pretty much went
straight to using a fixed marking gauge for the top and bottoms of the
door and a center line mark on the fence, as I mentioned before.
Flip stops for two hinge doors would seem to be the answer, again as you
mentioned.

The next slowest part of the project was putting those little screws in.
Â*Â*Last ceiling fan I installed, the blade attaching screws were connected
to the bracket so all you had to do was hold the blade in place and
drive the screws.Â* If they could figure a way to do that with these cup
hinges that would be awesome.

You are in luck!Â* You still have to drill the holes, and probably more
precisely but take a look here.

Well actually you would have to seriously step up your game to justify
the cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ376u3bWNo

Only $20,000!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/18 8:38 AM, Leon wrote:
Every time we get further into this discussion I remember more aspects
of that last, big replacement job I did.* Time is money for us and time
adds up very quickly.

I think the biggest time savers for me on that jog was having the vac
hose, locked in position the entire time, every time.* After more than
50 holes drilled, I had less debris on the floor than if I had drilled
one one without a vac.

Yeah! LOL* I need to figure out a way to drill those holes with out my
wife holding the DC hose at the drill site.

Wait, surely Festool has it's own recessed hinge boring jig with dust
extraction and systainer!!
Why don't you own it? :-p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9j3N48bxQw

The other aspect that saved time/money was the fact that I didn't have
to measure or mark anything.* As fast as I could set the door on the
table, I was ready to drill.* The actual drilling was the slowest part
of the entire process.

Yeah, and as you mentioned, stops on the fence speed up production but
then I found that I double handled each door because the stops only
worked for one end of the door before relocating.* I pretty much went
straight to using a fixed marking gauge for the top and bottoms of the
door and a center line mark on the fence, as I mentioned before.
Flip stops for two hinge doors would seem to be the answer, again as you
mentioned.

The next slowest part of the project was putting those little screws in.
**Last ceiling fan I installed, the blade attaching screws were connected
to the bracket so all you had to do was hold the blade in place and
drive the screws.* If they could figure a way to do that with these cup
hinges that would be awesome.

You are in luck!* You still have to drill the holes, and probably more
precisely but take a look here.

Well actually you would have to seriously step up your game to justify
the cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ376u3bWNo

Only $20,000!

Cheap at half the price!
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/12/18 7:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

I bought it to build some cabinets for my shop but I haven't had
enough time to even think about it. I have a lot more work to do
before I could use the cabinets, even. ...and no time for that,
either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Scott and Leon for a look at the actual jig and opinions. I am passing on your comments and pics, Scott to my boy.

I got a big charge out of reading the comments.

I understand that he would be better off buying a drill press, a dust collector, and either buying a jig system or taking the time (and learning the skills/accuracy) to make an adjustable table jig himself. He doesn't have the money to purchase a dust collection system (and nowhere to put it). Yes, if he spent a little under a $1000, he would be in much better shape.

He doesn't have a drill press. He doesn't have the skills to make a jig. He won't invest in a dust collection system with a chip separator (needed in this instance) and a cowl of some sort to collect the chips. It is really big stuff for him to be putting these hinges on in the first place! No doubt this will take many more hours than it should, but he will enjoy every single minute being a craftsman and the bragging rights will increase as measured by the time spent.

He has a drill, a broom and dust pan, since he has to move the jig with every hole anyway I don't think debris removal in his garage will be a problem.. He has a couple of small squeeze clamps and can read the rule on the jig well enough (the Kreg instructions, according to some reviews are outstanding) to make this work on his little 6-8 door project.

Thanks for the good responses!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:59:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:

....snip...

He doesn't have the money to purchase a dust collection system (and
nowhere to put it).

....snip...

Actually he might.

https://i.imgur.com/d8qYrLF.jpg

The wet-dry vac cost about $50, the plywood for the cabinet cost about $30.
The foam was free. (It's an old egg crate mattress pad that I had lying
around.) The blue hose is a section from a 30' pool hose that I bought on
CL for $25. Toss in a couple of adapters and I've got way less than $150
into the system.

The white box on the right side of the miter saw is the remote that turns
on the wet-dry vac. It's velcro'd on so I can take it with me. (Read on)

When I'm not using the miter saw, I swap the shop vac hose to the white
PVC adapter on the pool hose. That 1 1/4 hose hanging over the plywood
connects to the pool hose on the other side of the shop. I use it at the
workbench for my pocket hole jig, ROS, disk sander, etc. as well as
general clean-up. (That's why the remote travels with me.)

I have another length of wet-dry vac hose that I attach to the main one for
use with my band saw, router table fence, combo sander, etc. (That's why the
remote travels with me.)

I set this up about 6 months ago and it still makes me smile. I have a really
small shop and keeping it clean keeps it from getting even smaller. It may
not look like much, but compared *nothing* or compared to dragging the
wet-dry vac around and hooking it up to whatever tool I was using at the
time, it's an unbelievably huge improvement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:02:35 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I set this up about 6 months ago and it still makes me smile. I have a really
small shop and keeping it clean keeps it from getting even smaller. It may
not look like much, but compared *nothing* or compared to dragging the
wet-dry vac around and hooking it up to whatever tool I was using at the
time, it's an unbelievably huge improvement.

He doesn't have enough equipment to warrant even that. His gear is a mix of inherited stuff, garage sale stuff, broken stuff, a few of my tools I have given him that I think are on their last leg (compressor, leaking air hose, saw with a bad guard and bearings), or anything he can borrow from me after a quick phone call to find out if he can.

He is a different kind of cat. He finished college late in life(54). He found that nearly all of his credits earned in his 20s to get him through his junior year didn't transfer, so he had the equivalent of 3 (6.5 years actual) years of schooling at night along with the books/tuition while working.. So he has college debt. His divorce (before starting back to school) left him penniless, and in debt. He remarried, has had some heart problems, and some way at 59 decided it was time for him to have a kid. So he is paying for college, medical bills, his son (now 5) and for schooling to get his wife certified for some nursing credentials. He drives old beaters that break down constantly. Yet strangely, overall, he is happy. Go figure.

He borrows what he needs from me and has a key to the storage/shop. No big deal for me as the stuff he borrows for minor home repairs I usually have multiples of for use in my business like a drill, sawzall, oscillating tool, sander, brad gun, etc. He isn't checked out on larger tools even though he knows (kind of) how to use some of them. He used to help me from time to time if I needed the labor and he had the time, but his bad pump put an end to that. He can't work for any longer than about 6 hours on his feet anymore.

BUT... Looking at your setup started my wheels rolling about a setup like that to take to the next kitchen I do. I could make a plywood chest that would carry the shop vac and its extensions, but it could double as a miter saw stand after I got it to the job.

Since I take a lot of stuff in boxes and containers out to my jobs anyway, I always have a hand truck for the bigger jobs. A chest to hold my little 10 gallon van would be the perfect size, and even in plywood I could "truck" it right inside a house or garage and drop the saw on top of it.

Hmmmmm.....

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 2:17:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:02:35 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I set this up about 6 months ago and it still makes me smile. I have a really
small shop and keeping it clean keeps it from getting even smaller. It may
not look like much, but compared *nothing* or compared to dragging the
wet-dry vac around and hooking it up to whatever tool I was using at the
time, it's an unbelievably huge improvement.

He doesn't have enough equipment to warrant even that. His gear is a mix of inherited stuff,
garage sale stuff, broken stuff, a few of my tools I have given him that I think are on their last
leg (compressor, leaking air hose, saw with a bad guard and bearings), or anything he can
borrow from me after a quick phone call to find out if he can.

If he's working wood, he's making saw dust. A vac in a cabinet (vented in the rear) and a couple
of extension hoses will improve his efficiency and increase his desire to do more. At least that's
how it's working for me.

Build it with him at the same time you are building yours.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

I don't agree - brooms were sufficient for centuries before shop-vacs became
were even invented....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2018 8:47 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

And one day with years of experience and investing, my fellow wood
workers, you might have a shop vac AND a broom, like me! LOL
I can do with out a vac/DC, although I would not want to do so again,
but I could probably not do with out a boom.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 9:47:52 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

Bloodletting was sufficient for quite some time also.

When I get home tonight I'll stick my broom into the hole in the back of my router table
fence and see if I am just as efficient as with my vac.