Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is it? (Amateur version Post #20)

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST20_TOOL77. This iron tool is 2 feet long. One end has an open socket, shaped like an arrow with the point cut off. The socket is over ½ inch wide at its narrowest. The other end is bent to form a 6-inch-wide handle at a right angle to the shaft. It ends in a point on one side. It was originally painted red.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1mg1rolif...7_ALL.jpg?dl=0

POST20_TOOL78. This metal tool is in the pliers family. It tightens with a ratchet action until the two jaws meet. In the closed position they form three openings: ¼ and 5/8 inch hexagonal ones and a circular one 3/16 inches wide on one side and 1/16 inches wide on the other. The far end of one of the jaws has a 1/16-inch rise/tooth that fits snugly into an indentation on the other jaw. Additional pressure releases the ratchet action and returns the jaws to their open position. One handle is missing its blue rubber grip. I have hidden the manufacturers name and model number.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m62imnrvx3...8_ALL.jpg?dl=0

POST20_TOOL79. This metal tool is in the hacksaw family. The blade can be tightened or loosened/replaced by turning the handle. The end of the blade near the handle is held in place by a pin through it that fits into an angled pair of grooves. It can only make a cut less than ½ inch deep. Why is it so narrow, and for whose use is it designed?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc9meiaqv0...9_ALL.jpg?dl=0

POST20_TOOL80. This wooden and metal tool is almost 6 inches long. The wooden handle is joined to a metal piece containing a freely-spinning spool of thick thread. The thread feeds thorough a hole and runs down the side of a removable needle and is threaded through its eye. The tip of the needle is bent at approximately 30° to the shaft. I have hidden the manufacturers name and motto.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cipd0umr7j...0_ALL.jpg?dl=0
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2018 5:08 PM, Larry Flynn wrote:
Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST20_TOOL77. This iron tool is 2 feet long. One end has an open socket, shaped like an arrow with the point cut off. The socket is over ½ inch wide at its narrowest. The other end is bent to form a 6-inch-wide handle at a right angle to the shaft. It ends in a point on one side. It was originally painted red.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1mg1rolif...7_ALL.jpg?dl=0

A main water line shutoff tool??

POST20_TOOL78. This metal tool is in the pliers family. It tightens with a ratchet action until the two jaws meet. In the closed position they form three openings: ¼ and 5/8 inch hexagonal ones and a circular one 3/16 inches wide on one side and 1/16 inches wide on the other. The far end of one of the jaws has a 1/16-inch rise/tooth that fits snugly into an indentation on the other jaw. Additional pressure releases the ratchet action and returns the jaws to their open position. One handle is missing its blue rubber grip. I have hidden the manufacturers name and model number.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m62imnrvx3...8_ALL.jpg?dl=0

A wire terminal crimper.

POST20_TOOL79. This metal tool is in the hacksaw family. The blade can be tightened or loosened/replaced by turning the handle. The end of the blade near the handle is held in place by a pin through it that fits into an angled pair of grooves. It can only make a cut less than ½ inch deep. Why is it so narrow, and for whose use is it designed?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc9meiaqv0...9_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Dunno.

POST20_TOOL80. This wooden and metal tool is almost 6 inches long. The wooden handle is joined to a metal piece containing a freely-spinning spool of thick thread. The thread feeds thorough a hole and runs down the side of a removable needle and is threaded through its eye. The tip of the needle is bent at approximately 30° to the shaft. I have hidden the manufacturers name and motto.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cipd0umr7j...0_ALL.jpg?dl=0

A leather sewing awl.
https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather...rds=sewing+awl

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 16:08:44 -0800 (PST)
Larry Flynn wrote:

POST20_TOOL77. This iron tool is 2 feet long. One end has an open
socket, shaped like an arrow with the point cut off. The socket is
over ½ inch wide at its narrowest. The other end is bent to form a
6-inch-wide handle at a right angle to the shaft. It ends in a point
on one side. It was originally painted red.

a former lawn jockey that was attacked by a social justice warrior

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1mg1rolif...7_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Water shut off tool?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m62imnrvx3...8_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Crimper for RG 58 and RG 6 Cables

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc9meiaqv0...9_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Plumbers hack saw

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cipd0umr7j...0_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Leather sewing awl
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Flynn writes:

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As
usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size
and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST20_TOOL77. This iron tool is 2 feet long. One end has an open
socket, shaped like an arrow with the point cut off. The socket is
over ½ inch wide at its narrowest. The other end is bent to form a
6-inch-wide handle at a right angle to the shaft. It ends in a point
on one side. It was originally painted red.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1mg1rolif...7_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Fire hydrant wrench.

POST20_TOOL78. This metal tool is in the pliers family. It tightens
with a ratchet action until the two jaws meet. In the closed position
they form three openings: ¼ and 5/8 inch hexagonal ones and a circular
one 3/16 inches wide on one side and 1/16 inches wide on the
other. The far end of one of the jaws has a 1/16-inch rise/tooth that
fits snugly into an indentation on the other jaw. Additional pressure
releases the ratchet action and returns the jaws to their open
position. One handle is missing its blue rubber grip. I have hidden
the manufacturers name and model number.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m62imnrvx3...8_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Crimper for some kind of electrical connector.

POST20_TOOL79. This metal tool is in the hacksaw family. The blade can
be tightened or loosened/replaced by turning the handle. The end of
the blade near the handle is held in place by a pin through it that
fits into an angled pair of grooves. It can only make a cut less than
½ inch deep. Why is it so narrow, and for whose use is it designed?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc9meiaqv0...9_ALL.jpg?dl=0

POST20_TOOL80. This wooden and metal tool is almost 6 inches long. The
wooden handle is joined to a metal piece containing a freely-spinning
spool of thick thread. The thread feeds thorough a hole and runs down
the side of a removable needle and is threaded through its eye. The
tip of the needle is bent at approximately 30° to the shaft. I have
hidden the manufacturers name and motto.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cipd0umr7j...0_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Speedy stitcher, for sewing canvas or similar work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

POST20_TOOL78. This metal tool is in the pliers family. It tightens with a ratchet action until the two jaws meet. In the closed position they form three openings: ¼ and 5/8 inch hexagonal ones and a circular one 3/16 inches wide on one side and 1/16 inches wide on the other. The far end of one of the jaws has a 1/16-inch rise/tooth that fits snugly into an indentation on the other jaw. Additional pressure releases the ratchet action and returns the jaws to their open position. One handle is missing its blue rubber grip. I have hidden the manufacturers name and model number.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m62imnrvx3...8_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Coax crimpers
Posted to rec.woodworking

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cipd0umr7j...0_ALL.jpg?dl=0

Leather sewing awl

Here's a slightly different version - with the spool in the
hollow handle
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,50700

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 4:08:49 PM UTC-8, Larry Flynn wrote:
Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread.

POST20_TOOL77

A hydrant wrench, that mates to the pentagon-head drive spuds seen
on a fire hydrant, OR mates to a rectangular-shape (some kind
of cutoff valve, possibly for sprinkler systems).

POST20_TOOL80.

A leatherwork awl, but the curved end makes it suitable for one-sided stitching
such as assembling a baseball.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 7:08:49 PM UTC-5, Larry Flynn wrote:
[...]

Answers have been provided for three and suggestion for a fourth.

TOOL 77 Water Main Valve Key curb box key with ice pick.

TOOL 78 Ideal Ratcheting Crimpmaster (missing one rubber handle cover)
with Ideal 30-581 Crimpmaster Combo Die Set, RG58 RG59/62 BNC/TNC

TOOL 79 Narrow Hacksaw
Suggested design for use by Jewelers, Gunsmiths or Plumbers; Similar to the STARRETT NO. 150 NARROW FRAME HACKSAW.

TOOL 80 C.A. Meyers Hand stitching leather working tool. Sewing Awl. Bent needles are used for one-side/exterior sewing. Motto "Awl for All".