Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Really slick tool.

I've been working on the power in my basement (adding a couple of
circuits and lights for the shop) and have been using a new wire
stripper. The thing is really slick for stripping NM cable and
working inside boxes. I've had some others that work OK, until
they're dropped or are used to try to bend wire. Once they get
whacked, they're never the same. These are strong enough that that
doesn't happen. Nice!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-NM-Wire-Strippers-48-22-3070/206865418
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 7:52:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been working on the power in my basement (adding a couple of
circuits and lights for the shop) and have been using a new wire
stripper. The thing is really slick for stripping NM cable and
working inside boxes. I've had some others that work OK, until
they're dropped or are used to try to bend wire. Once they get
whacked, they're never the same. These are strong enough that that
doesn't happen. Nice!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-NM-Wire-Strippers-48-22-3070/206865418

Nice! I love the "live circuit" warning on the pivot point. ;-)

I recently picked up a multi-size stripper at an estate sale store for $2. It looks like each notch
has been hand sharpened. Better than any new stripper I've ever bought.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I've been working on the power in my basement (adding a couple of
circuits and lights for the shop) and have been using a new wire
stripper. The thing is really slick for stripping NM cable and
working inside boxes. I've had some others that work OK, until
they're dropped or are used to try to bend wire. Once they get
whacked, they're never the same. These are strong enough that
that doesn't happen. Nice!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-NM-Wire-Strippers-48-22-3070/206865418

Nice! I love the "live circuit" warning on the pivot point. ;-)

I have an expensive set of pliers/wire cutters that I used to wire my
house, 25 years ago.
I still have them. But when I was cutting through a run of romex in the
attic that I "swore" I switched off power to... well, let's just say
that after a pop and a puff of smoke, I turned them into 12ga wire
strippers. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Well, that's one way to put a "notch" in them. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Hate it when that happens, -MIKE-. I imagine you may have altered your
skivvies as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I've been working on the power in my basement (adding a couple of
circuits and lights for the shop) and have been using a new wire
stripper.Â* The thing is really slick for stripping NM cable and
working inside boxes.Â* I've had some others that work OK, until
they're dropped or are used to try to bend wire.Â* Once they get
whacked, they're never the same.Â* These are strong enough that
that doesn't happen.Â* Nice!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-NM-Wire-Strippers-48-22-3070/206865418

Nice! I love the "live circuit" warning on the pivot point. ;-)

I have an expensive set of pliers/wire cutters that I used to wire my
house, 25 years ago.
I still have them.Â* But when I was cutting through a run of romex in the
attic that I "swore" I switched off power to... well, let's just say
that after a pop and a puff of smoke, I turned them into 12ga wire
strippers.Â*Â* :-)

Well, that's one way to put a "notch" in them. ;-)

Hate it when that happens, -MIKE-.Â* I imagine you may have altered your
skivvies as well.

Ha! It happened too fast for any reaction, really.
It wasn't until I tried to move the pliers that I realized what happened.
They were "spot welded" to the wire a little bit. When I wiggled them
off the wire, that's when I saw the perfectly round notch in the cutter.

Thanks God for circuit breakers!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

A bunch of years back a neighbor asked me to change the fixture outside the side door of his
house. Before I started working I asked him if he had turned off the power. Based on his "Yes"
I started working. I had to cut some old wires, strip stuff, etc. I finished swapping out the fixture
and told him to turn the power back on.

He opened the screen door, reached in and flipped the wall switch.

I guess his idea of turning off the power was a little different than mine. Luckily for me the
original fixture (in a very old house) had been wired correctly enough that the wall switch
actually killed the power to the fixture. I gently explained the difference between shutting off
the fixture and turning off the power. He was a little embarrassed and I learned a lesson as
well: Trust, but verify.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

That's all I do but I also measure test before I start work. ...a
different sort of "trust, but verify". ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

True, very true.
I will often swap light fixtures that don't have the power in the box,
only at the switch. But I only do that if I'm alone and there's nobody
around to mistakenly flip the light switch on.

BTW, the days of switched-wire-only to the switch box are numbered.
New electrical codes require common and neutral to all boxes. There are
so many new switching devices which require a complete power circuit
that new code is requiring all rough electrical to have the neutral run
to every box, even if it's just in a closed loop. That way, it's there
for future modifications and upgrades.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 10:11:45 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

Thanks God for circuit breakers!

Got fuses here, as long as no penny is involved works just as good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

You also have to be careful of the neutrals. The "electrician" who
wired my house didn't pigtail the neutrals so when I separate the
neutrals, the downstream neutral can be energized through another lamp
(or whatever) on the circuit. DAHIKT

BTW, the days of switched-wire-only to the switch box are numbered.
New electrical codes require common and neutral to all boxes. There are
so many new switching devices which require a complete power circuit
that new code is requiring all rough electrical to have the neutral run
to every box, even if it's just in a closed loop. That way, it's there
for future modifications and upgrades.

It's about time. I hope they're going to eliminate the weird 3-way
connections, too (force the neutral to go with the travelers).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Edison circuits can cause that too. I have *one* in my house, never figured
out why. Probably saved less than 15 feet of wire and created decades worth
of a PITA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/2/18 10:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
He opened the screen door, reached in and flipped the wall switch.

I guess his idea of turning off the power was a little different than
mine.

I've swapped two light fixtures in December with power just shut off at
the switch. I try to treat the wires as live all the time.

I will often swap light fixtures that don't have the power in the box,
only at the switch. But I only do that if I'm alone and there's nobody
around to mistakenly flip the light switch on.

Just the opposite for me. I want people around, but I tell everyone what
I'm doing.

BTW, the days of switched-wire-only to the switch box are numbered.
New electrical codes require common and neutral to all boxes. There are
so many new switching devices which require a complete power circuit
that new code is requiring all rough electrical to have the neutral run
to every box, even if it's just in a closed loop.

Man, I'd be so happy with a ground to every box. I still have tube and
post in places, with zero slack making changing switches or outlets a
real excercise. I don't know what the code was when the building was
last sold (~35 years ago) but I question how well it was inspected even
then. When the wiring went in, it was run alongside the gas lines for
gas lighting. Instead of a box, I end up hanging lights off the pipe
coming out of the ceiling. (One grace is that those pipes have all been
disconnected from the gas supply.)

Elijah
------
would have to move the asbestos insulation to get at some of the wiring
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 6:52:56 PM UTC-6, wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-NM-Wire-Strippers-48-22-3070/206865418

Me being an amateur electrician, I strip my wires very differently. I have one of those metal steel rippers to cut the outer casing back 6-12 inches. Then use my diagonal cutters to cut off the casing. Then I get out my Klein wire stripper and strip the jackets on the actual wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-7...027868&sr=1-32

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-D...agonal+cutters

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-1...wire+strippers

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 17:08:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 6:52:56 PM UTC-6, wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-NM-Wire-Strippers-48-22-3070/206865418

Me being an amateur electrician, I strip my wires very differently. I have one of those metal steel rippers to cut the outer casing back 6-12 inches. Then use my diagonal cutters to cut off the casing. Then I get out my Klein wire stripper and strip the jackets on the actual wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-7...027868&sr=1-32

I've never used one. Wouldn't know how.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-D...agonal+cutters

I have a pair similar to that (also Klein) with a 12Ga stripper hole
in the blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-1...wire+strippers

That's what I was talking about in my original post. Get those jaws
whacked out (it's *easy*) and they're useless. The Milwaukee stripper
has heavy beams on the edges so is unlikely to get bent. The tips act
as really nice long-nose, as well. They also make a stripper (like
the Klein above) that looks like the one I posted but exchanges the
14/12Ga NM stripper with a more standard stripper layout.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ers/48-22-3079

Slick Simple Method of Checking For "Fair Curve" charlieb Woodturning 4 July 13th 07 08:49 PM
Slick marketing by Vaillant but it leaves me wondering. Ed Sirett UK diy 68 November 18th 06 09:45 PM
Need 50 slick-looking sheets of letterhead [OT] Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 32 May 2nd 06 07:52 PM
slick concrete stevie Home Repair 5 March 1st 05 06:58 PM
Slick tool for "chip in the eye" syndrome Jon Anderson Metalworking 26 September 3rd 03 07:35 AM