Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Vest Instead of Belt?

I've had my leather tool belt for almost 3 decades. It was a gift from
a friend/mentor when I helped him build an addition on his house. I've
never thought about using anything else, probably because you just get
used to the stuff you use over time and adapt without thinking about it.
I'm certain there's some sentimental reasons in there, too.

However, the older I get, the older my back gets. I already have back
issues so wearing a belt compounds them. Because of this, I added
suspenders to the belt, years ago, and they really do help. But I find
myself skipping the belt and putting tools in pockets of my workpants.
That's awkward and a bit dangerous.

One day, I clipped my tape on the suspender strap and then the light
bulb went off over my head. I have a shop apron already, but I don't
see it being very useful in the field for various reasons. That's what
got me thinking about a tool vest.

A vest would take all the weight of the hips, would allow for better
movement, and I like the idea of being able to hang it up on a hanger
with everything in/on it.

Since I know how to Google and already have, I've already seen many
options out there.
What I'm asking you guys is.....
Do any of you use a tool vest and how do you like it?
Any specific brands/models that rock your world?
Any that really suck?
Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Oh, and Happy New Year!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
I've had my leather tool belt for almost 3 decades.Â* It was a gift from
a friend/mentor when I helped him build an addition on his house.Â* I've
never thought about using anything else, probably because you just get
used to the stuff you use over time and adapt without thinking about it.
Â*I'm certain there's some sentimental reasons in there, too.

However, the older I get, the older my back gets.Â* I already have back
issues so wearing a belt compounds them.Â* Because of this, I added
suspenders to the belt, years ago, and they really do help.Â* But I find
myself skipping the belt and putting tools in pockets of my workpants.
That's awkward and a bit dangerous.

One day, I clipped my tape on the suspender strap and then the light
bulb went off over my head.Â* I have a shop apron already, but I don't
see it being very useful in the field for various reasons.Â* That's what
got me thinking about a tool vest.

A vest would take all the weight of the hips, would allow for better
movement, and I like the idea of being able to hang it up on a hanger
with everything in/on it.

Since I know how to Google and already have, I've already seen many
options out there.
What I'm asking you guys is.....
Do any of you use a tool vest and how do you like it?
Any specific brands/models that rock your world?
Any that really suck?
Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Oh, and Happy New Year!

DEEEpending on how many tools you carry..... I use the canvas aprons
that hang on your sholders. In particular, the ones that Lee Valley sells.

Alternatively maybe something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hum0Z7Q8Qaw
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
I've had my leather tool belt for almost 3 decades.Â* It was a gift
from a friend/mentor when I helped him build an addition on his
house.Â* I've never thought about using anything else, probably because
you just get used to the stuff you use over time and adapt without
thinking about it. Â*Â*I'm certain there's some sentimental reasons in
[...]

DEEEpending on how many tools you carry.....Â* I use the canvas aprons
that hang on your sholders.Â* In particular, the ones that Lee Valley sells.

Alternatively maybe something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hum0Z7Q8Qaw

Oh hilarious! That guy looks like an overworked pack mule with all
that on! :-)
I know he's just demonstrating how all those pouches can all fit on one
vest.
But man, if he actually wears that thing like that all the time, his
chiropractor is going to make fortune off him.

ANYway.... I looked at their site and they are definitely a contender.
All those different optional pouches seems modular and attachable
wherever you like.
It would nice to be able to customize the vest for each different job.
The shoulder fittings are very similar to the chest protectors I already
wear for umpiring.
Price isn't horrible either.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 12:50:10 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Looks like it should have "FBI" in big white letters across the back.
;-)

I know he's just demonstrating how all those pouches can all fit on one
vest.
But man, if he actually wears that thing like that all the time, his
chiropractor is going to make fortune off him.

ANYway.... I looked at their site and they are definitely a contender.
All those different optional pouches seems modular and attachable
wherever you like.
It would nice to be able to customize the vest for each different job.
The shoulder fittings are very similar to the chest protectors I already
wear for umpiring.
Price isn't horrible either.

I have Blaklader tool vest like the one below. I find it to be
pretty hot and restrictive so rarely use it.

https://www.fullsource.com/blaklader-311018609900/?size=2&gac=1514297450905&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJPb3I a42AIVjrrACh0WmQEEEAQYASABEgLt9fD_BwE
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I looked at those and rejected them for that very reason.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I find this style to be much less restrictive.

http://daddytypes.com/archive/workman-utilikilt.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

But what do you wear under it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

It's also not as hot as a vest...or is it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

No, in fact it might be downright chilly! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I'd like to imagine some cute young pretty ladies would find me "hot" if I were to wear it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/1/18 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/1/2018 12:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of a joke.
"If I had a dollar for every woman who found me repulsive, they
wouldn't."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 2:09:20 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jan 2018 21:39:33 -0500, wrote:

I find this style to be much less restrictive.

http://daddytypes.com/archive/workman-utilikilt.jpg

But what do you wear under it?

Jock with a cup what else would you wear!

https://i.imgur.com/InbLiwe.jpg

Do they make those with a cup pocket? Asking for a friend...

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 4:09:18 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 2:09:20 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jan 2018 21:39:33 -0500, wrote:

I find this style to be much less restrictive.

http://daddytypes.com/archive/workman-utilikilt.jpg

But what do you wear under it?

Jock with a cup what else would you wear!

https://i.imgur.com/InbLiwe.jpg

Do they make those with a cup pocket? Asking for a friend...

The upgraded version has a beer cup pocket.

OT No hi-viz vest? ARW UK diy 5 March 31st 16 06:40 PM
Cotton hi-vis vest - where to buy? [email protected] UK diy 2 May 27th 14 08:26 AM
Moncler Women's down vest [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 24th 08 03:47 AM
OT Body armour - stab proof vest ARWadworth UK diy 90 July 25th 08 12:01 AM
Brown & Sharpe 746 vest pocket speed indicator Wild Bill Metalworking 1 September 17th 04 11:49 PM