Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Bandsaw

Sold my 15 year old Grizzly (made in Taiwan) 14 incher with a riser block.
Got a Laguna 14-12 (also made in Taiwan). It is a heavy sucker. I
like the dust collection. None on the floor after playing with it two
hours. Like the lever tension release. Re-wired it for 230v, which
is very easy.
Just like every bandsaw I have owned, it has a drift, but this one
has a fence adjustment to compensate. I did have to drill out the
adjustment holes to get it perfectly aligned with the drift.
No opinion on the ceramic guides yet. I had to get a pet monkey
to adjust the lower guides--couldn't get my fingers around the knob.
Next time I will try tilting the table to the max to get to them.
I like the large cast iron table. I've seen "table saws" with no
larger.
Dislike the 'ratchet handles' on the tilt locks. I seldom use
them anyway.
No riser block needed, it will raise as high as the Griz did with
a riser.
Runs quiet with no vibration. With the cast iron wheels, it takes
a long time to wind down when turned off. Almost touched the blade
before it stopped, it spins so quietly and long. I have to get used
to that. (the long wind down--not the touching the blade).
--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 11:13:31 -0500
G Ross wrote:

Dislike the 'ratchet handles' on the tilt locks. I seldom use
them anyway.
No riser block needed, it will raise as high as the Griz did with
a riser.
Runs quiet with no vibration. With the cast iron wheels, it
takes a long time to wind down when turned off. Almost touched the
blade before it stopped, it spins so quietly and long. I have to get
used to that. (the long wind down--not the touching the blade).

always good to read about hands on experiences and quiet is most
always good

have not had my delta long but have never tilted the table and not sure
i ever will as it seems to be too close to being dangerous and not a
huge need to make that kind of cut anyway

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 10:56:43 AM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:

have not had my delta long but have never tilted the table and not sure
i ever will as it seems to be too close to being dangerous ....

When the table is titled for straight cuts, clamp a support/guide on the down side. Lots less anxiety.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2017 11:13 AM, G Ross wrote:
With the cast iron wheels, it takes a long time to wind down when turned off.

No brake? I have a Laguna LT16 and it has a foot brake (which I never use).
I think that mine was made in Italy but I did buy it a _long_ time ago.
Really wish mine had the ceramic guides since ball bearing guides are a
real PITA in my experience.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 3:58:26 PM UTC-5, John McGaw wrote:
On 12/30/2017 11:13 AM, G Ross wrote:
With the cast iron wheels, it takes a long time to wind down when turned off.

No brake? I have a Laguna LT16 and it has a foot brake (which I never use).
I think that mine was made in Italy but I did buy it a _long_ time ago.
Really wish mine had the ceramic guides since ball bearing guides are a
real PITA in my experience.

Maybe you need the best of both worlds.

We used to use sealed ceramic bearings back in my Soap Box Derby racing
days.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....RL._SX342_.jpg

The Derby cars had foot brakes too. ;-) When the driver pushed down on
the brake pedal, a rubber pad on a plunger made contact with the road.
When the sparks flew, it was well past time to replace the brake pad,
as this guy is doing.

http://www.semissourian.com/photos/2.../2337602-A.jpg