Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A: How to glue polyethylene or polypropylene

On Saturday, May 6, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Stuart Friedberg wrote:
Here's a prospective answer (not question) for the FAQ.

I am crossposting this because the question comes up with some
regularity in several different groups. Indeed, I have been one
to ask the question in the past (and get a useful answer), so I'm
trying to repay the net somewhat. I have no financial interest in
the products mentioned.

Q: How can you glue polyethylene or polyproplyene?

A: PE and PP are hard to glue because they have "low surface energy".
Very crudely, they have little interest in sticking to anything
else, including adhesives. One technique that works is to apply
a chemical "surface activator" then use cyanoacrylate adhesives
("superglues"). Until recently, surface activators were not
marketed for retail, although anyone could buy small quantities
from a Permatex distributor like a bearing or power transmission
industrial supply house, or from similar sources.

Recently, the Locktite brand has started retail marketing of a
product called "Plastix" that is a kit of surface activator and
compatible cyanoacrylate adhesive. The literature for Plastix
indicates it is suitable "even for" PE and PP.

Double sided self adhesive tape works fine with thin film PE as well as scotch tape, which means that whatever adhesive deposited to the tape substrate should work,,, what remains is to figure out what is it.