Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which first, the mortise or tenon?

I normally make the mortise on the mortising machine and then use the table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first last week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

Also, I broke the pin on the mortising machine that keeps the handle in position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/27/2017 3:13 PM, Michael wrote:
I normally make the mortise on the mortising machine and then use the table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first last week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

Also, I broke the pin on the mortising machine that keeps the handle in position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks.

Mortice or tenon first? Whatever works for you. I've done it both
ways, with equally good (or bad) results.

Without a make, model or picture, I'd guess the broken part is a roll
pin (Google it). Measure carefully to get the hole diameter and length.
Any decent hardware store should have a pin that will work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/27/2017 2:13 PM, Michael wrote:
I normally make the mortise on the mortising machine and then use the table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first last week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

Also, I broke the pin on the mortising machine that keeps the handle in position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks.

Mortises are first cut and tenons are cut to fit the mortise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:34:34 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/27/2017 2:13 PM, Michael wrote:
I normally make the mortise on the mortising machine and then use the table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first last week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

Also, I broke the pin on the mortising machine that keeps the handle in position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks.

Mortises are first cut and tenons are cut to fit the mortise.

Leon, I thought you'd say "cut mortises, then insert dominoes." ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/27/2017 2:13 PM, Michael wrote:
I normally make the mortise on the mortising machine and then use the table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first last week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

Also, I broke the pin on the mortising machine that keeps the handle in position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks.

Mortises are first cut and tenons are cut to fit the mortise.

Leon, I thought you'd say "cut mortises, then insert dominoes." ;-)

You beat me to it! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 3:01:25 PM UTC-6, Larry Kraus wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and contacted Woodcraft about the Wood River mortiser. They immediately said they'd send a replacement free of charge. Good customer service.