Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Progress on the Gift Boxes

The weather has been cold and damp here so prefinishing the insides of
the boxes took some time.

Anyway I have now got all of the boxes glued up and need to cut the
boxes to form the separated tops and bottoms.

If you zoom in you can more clearly see the groves around the perimeter
of the boxes. This will become the rabbet on the bottoms of the boxes
and the cut will also reveal the inner rabbet on the box tops.

More pictures to follow as I move forward.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Leon, Iggy wrote:
Oh, you switched to clamshell from topmost lid...if I recall correctly. I
didn't pick that up in the last update, I just presumed the outside dado was
for a scrap inlay, rhinestones, LED's or an optional mounting...I'm kidding on
the latters, though a glittering and flashing hanging box or bunches of them
could become a new fad.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...es-812770-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/2017 12:14 PM, Iggy wrote:
replying to Leon, Iggy wrote:
Oh, you switched to clamshell from topmost lid...if I recall correctly.

No, I have made this style box on 3 occasions and it has always been the
same.

didn't pick that up in the last update, I just presumed the outside dado
was
for a scrap inlay, rhinestones, LED's or an optional mounting

Actually I may stay with the same technique BUT next time I may add a
couple of decorative contrasting strips as a very first step. I use a
1x8, actually measures 7.25", and I rip it in half to end up with 2, 3"
wide sides to make the sides of the box, little waste. But Ii I add a
couple of decorative strips I will effectively make the wood wider to
begin with and naturally a bit larger boxes.

....I'm
kidding on
the latters, though a glittering and flashing hanging box or bunches of
them
could become a new fad.

Maybe!
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Leon, Iggy wrote:
Oh, you switched to clamshell from topmost lid...if I recall correctly.

No, I have made this style box on 3 occasions and it has always been the
same.

didn't pick that up in the last update, I just presumed the outside
dado was
for a scrap inlay, rhinestones, LED's or an optional mounting

Actually I may stay with the same technique BUT next time I may add a
couple of decorative contrasting strips as a very first step.Â* I use a
1x8, actually measures 7.25", and I rip it in half to end up with 2, 3"
wide sides to make the sides of the box, little waste.

Should be 2, 3.5" wide pieces.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Leon, Iggy wrote:
Ah, very good and keep up the great work. I look forward to the bedazzled
leopard skin boxes.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...es-812770-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

As always, looking good!

I resolve every year to take some time and turn some ornaments on the lathe. I really did enjoy that and have turned more than a few. Somehow, it never works out. One day...

Until then I get a charge out of seeing your good work. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 8:29:38 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

If you and "you know who" can make it to Houston "you know who" might
get another. Bait tossed. Waiting on nibble. ;~)

BTW, what wood do yo use to turn the ornaments? Balsa, Bass wood, or......

Still awaiting word on the plans myself. Kathy had some personnel rearranging at her office and she is now leading another team (along with her own)for a short time until they hire a replacement. There is more damn drama in that business than you could ever describe.

No bait needed, though. I am pushing her just so we can all get together! Hopefully, we will have some answers pretty quick. Hate to go without her.....!!!

As far as suitable work goes, I do like most turners. Whatever looks interesting gets chucked up. I hit firewood piles for mesquite, huisache, spalted pecan, etc. Since you just need small pieces, sometimes it's a treasure trove. Knotty pieces, crotch wood (like the mesquite crotch lamps I showed you) are best turned green, so I keep an eye out when folks are tree trimming. Arizona Ash, Silver Maple, etc. are soft and turn like butter when they are green. When I was in full production mode I used to rough out ornaments a few months before Christmas, let them dry out in a paper grocery bag, and the finish turn them before
Christmas.

Since they are supposed to be colorful, I sometimes paint them, stain them, or add little pieces of contrasting wood to them. One year I made an ornament for a relative (from Ohio!) to give to his brother. I put a Lone Star made out of silver that I bought from a leather working site on it because he thought being in Texas was like being in the wild west. (Right, just because we don't eat casseroles 5 times a week..).

Those little leather conchos are easy to use and can be bought in just about any shape and size. I think Kathy has one I made her years ago that has a small gold angel I purchased at Tandy.

Personally, I like the ornaments to have featured natural defects like broken knots, spalting/staining, different color of sap wood, or anything else that is natural that catches the eye.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2017 11:18 AM, wrote:
On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 8:29:38 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

If you and "you know who" can make it to Houston "you know who" might
get another. Bait tossed. Waiting on nibble. ;~)

BTW, what wood do yo use to turn the ornaments? Balsa, Bass wood, or.....

Still awaiting word on the plans myself. Kathy had some personnel rearranging at her office and she is now leading another team (along with her own)for a short time until they hire a replacement. There is more damn drama in that business than you could ever describe.

No bait needed, though. I am pushing her just so we can all get together! Hopefully, we will have some answers pretty quick. Hate to go without her....!!!

No BOX! with out the Kathy! ;~) Whenever ;~), after Christmas and you
get to see my new toy. I took the bait.

As far as suitable work goes, I do like most turners. Whatever looks interesting gets chucked up. I hit firewood piles for mesquite, huisache, spalted pecan, etc. Since you just need small pieces, sometimes it's a treasure trove. Knotty pieces, crotch wood (like the mesquite crotch lamps I showed you) are best turned green, so I keep an eye out when folks are tree trimming. Arizona Ash, Silver Maple, etc. are soft and turn like butter when they are green. When I was in full production mode I used to rough out ornaments a few months before Christmas, let them dry out in a paper grocery bag, and the finish turn them before
Christmas.

I was wondering if a lite weight wood would be needed, I guess they are
small enough that it probably foes not matter.

Since they are supposed to be colorful, I sometimes paint them, stain them, or add little pieces of contrasting wood to them. One year I made an ornament for a relative (from Ohio!) to give to his brother. I put a Lone Star made out of silver that I bought from a leather working site on it because he thought being in Texas was like being in the wild west. (Right, just because we don't eat casseroles 5 times a week..).

I was using the lone star concho's for wine bottle stoppers. They were
handsome. I did learn a valuable lesson way too late on wine bottle
stoppers. Don get the chrome, it reacts with the wine. And don't turn
a long/tall stopper. It will not fit in the refrigerator. ;~(

Those little leather conchos are easy to use and can be bought in just about any shape and size. I think Kathy has one I made her years ago that has a small gold angel I purchased at Tandy.

Are you talking about the metal conchos or are there actually leather ones?

Personally, I like the ornaments to have featured natural defects like broken knots, spalting/staining, different color of sap wood, or anything else that is natural that catches the eye.

Robert

That way they don't look like they are from Ikea. ;!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 1:17:19 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 12/11/2017 11:18 AM, wrote:
On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 8:29:38 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

If you and "you know who" can make it to Houston "you know who" might
get another. Bait tossed. Waiting on nibble. ;~)

BTW, what wood do yo use to turn the ornaments? Balsa, Bass wood, or......

Still awaiting word on the plans myself. Kathy had some personnel rearranging at her office and she is now leading another team (along with her own)for a short time until they hire a replacement. There is more damn drama in that business than you could ever describe.

No bait needed, though. I am pushing her just so we can all get together! Hopefully, we will have some answers pretty quick. Hate to go without her....!!!

No BOX! with out the Kathy! ;~) Whenever ;~), after Christmas and you
get to see my new toy. I took the bait.

Getting closer to a proposed date. She is applying the pressure to get off.. They aren't happy as they want all the loan closings they can get by the end of the year. I put my money on Kathy...

Uhhh.... a new toy? Leon, what did you do? LOL

As far as suitable work goes, I do like most turners. Whatever looks interesting gets chucked up. I hit firewood piles for mesquite, huisache, spalted pecan, etc. Since you just need small pieces, sometimes it's a treasure trove. Knotty pieces, crotch wood (like the mesquite crotch lamps I showed you) are best turned green, so I keep an eye out when folks are tree trimming. Arizona Ash, Silver Maple, etc. are soft and turn like butter when they are green. When I was in full production mode I used to rough out ornaments a few months before Christmas, let them dry out in a paper grocery bag, and the finish turn them before
Christmas.

I was wondering if a lite weight wood would be needed, I guess they are
small enough that it probably foes not matter.

The wood doesn't matter that much. The more you turn, the more you will experiment. I have made hollow ornaments, small orbs with long drops on them, and a just a few more traditional shapes. The ones I enjoyed most was turning a Christmas tree light bulbs (including the base) from spalted pecan. I sold a couple, and one lady had me change out the hook so she could wear it on a Christmas necklace.

Since they are supposed to be colorful, I sometimes paint them, stain them, or add little pieces of contrasting wood to them. One year I made an ornament for a relative (from Ohio!) to give to his brother. I put a Lone Star made out of silver that I bought from a leather working site on it because he thought being in Texas was like being in the wild west. (Right, just because we don't eat casseroles 5 times a week..).

I was using the lone star concho's for wine bottle stoppers. They were
handsome. I did learn a valuable lesson way too late on wine bottle
stoppers. Don get the chrome, it reacts with the wine. And don't turn
a long/tall stopper. It will not fit in the refrigerator. ;~(

Turned a few stoppers. Weren't popular as gifts as all my amigos and amigas that drink guzzle the bottles pretty quickly. I personally would have thought the chrome would have been a good choice for a wine stoppper...

Those little leather conchos are easy to use and can be bought in just about any shape and size. I think Kathy has one I made her years ago that has a small gold angel I purchased at Tandy.

Are you talking about the metal conchos or are there actually leather ones?

I was talking about the metal conchos used to decorate leather work. They do make leather conchos though, for those that don't want to take all the time needed to carve what they want.

Personally, I like the ornaments to have featured natural defects like broken knots, spalting/staining, different color of sap wood, or anything else that is natural that catches the eye.

Robert

That way they don't look like they are from Ikea. ;!)

No kidding. That's a great description for my first ornaments as I wanted to use only clear, straight wood. At least it wasn't beech.

Robert