DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   More Actual Woodworking (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/601019-more-actual-woodworking.html)

Leon[_7_] November 30th 17 11:27 PM

More Actual Woodworking

So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again. Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I have been sitting on a small chunk of walnut forever and decided to
resaw into veneers and book match for 3 of the box tops.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

For the other 8 boxes I am using a short chunk of that heavily figured
white oak that I bought last year. Again I resawed into veneers out of
a 22" long piece.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

And all of the sides/top and bottom pieces. Once the boxes are glued up
I will cut the top from the bottom.

With first coat of varnish on the inside sides. Yes I will be using
Domino's to align the corners. You can see the mortises.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

-MIKE- December 1st 17 12:12 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On 11/30/17 5:27 PM, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again.Â* Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I have been sitting on a small chunk of walnut forever and decided to
resaw into veneers and book match for 3 of the box tops.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

For the other 8 boxes I am using a short chunk of that heavily figured
white oak that I bought last year.Â* Again I resawed into veneers out of
a 22" long piece.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

And all of the sides/top and bottom pieces.Â* Once the boxes are glued up
I will cut the top from the bottom.

With first coat of varnish on the inside sides.Â* Yes I will be using
Domino's to align the corners.Â* You can see the mortises.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

You suck with your giant drill press..... and sander.... and other
sander. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

DerbyDad03 December 1st 17 12:48 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 6:28:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

They look nice.

What's in the cup?

Leon[_7_] December 1st 17 04:19 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On 11/30/2017 6:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/30/17 5:27 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

sander.Â*Â* :-p

I got the DP for Mothers Day several years ago. ;~) Other sander?

-MIKE- December 1st 17 04:21 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On 11/30/17 5:27 PM, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again.Â* Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I have been sitting on a small chunk of walnut forever and decided to
resaw into veneers and book match for 3 of the box tops.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

For the other 8 boxes I am using a short chunk of that heavily
figured white oak that I bought last year.Â* Again I resawed into
veneers out of a 22" long piece.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

And all of the sides/top and bottom pieces.Â* Once the boxes are glued
up I will cut the top from the bottom.

With first coat of varnish on the inside sides.Â* Yes I will be using
Domino's to align the corners.Â* You can see the mortises.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

You suck with your giant drill press..... and sander.... and other
sander.Â*Â* :-p

I got the DP for Mothers Day several years ago.Â* ;~)Â* Other sander?

The big blue monster to the left of the DP.
Planer?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

OFWW[_5_] December 1st 17 04:27 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 17:27:51 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again. Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I have been sitting on a small chunk of walnut forever and decided to
resaw into veneers and book match for 3 of the box tops.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

For the other 8 boxes I am using a short chunk of that heavily figured
white oak that I bought last year. Again I resawed into veneers out of
a 22" long piece.

With first coat of varnish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I remember that wood. Beautiful. It reminds me of some of the recent
Jupiter photo's but there each design was a different beautiful color.

I'd be wanting to try some proper fluorescent colors or iridescent to
match the colors with your designs like on Jupiter and call it a
Jupiter box. or 'sumpin'

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...0&ajaxh ist=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=7&ajaxhist=0

A whole bunch if interested.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...9F&FORM=IQFRBA

Some of the designs remind me of a Picasso

And all of the sides/top and bottom pieces. Once the boxes are glued up
I will cut the top from the bottom.

With first coat of varnish on the inside sides. Yes I will be using
Domino's to align the corners. You can see the mortises.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Be looking forward to the final product picts.

G Ross[_2_] December 1st 17 06:33 AM

More Actual Woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Beautiful wood and great work. What bandsaw do you use for the veneers?

--
G Ross

Leon[_7_] December 1st 17 02:41 PM

More Actual Woodworking

On 11/30/17 5:27 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

15" Planer, the Drum Sander on the right is 22"/44"

Leon[_7_] December 1st 17 02:43 PM

More Actual Woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Wow! The oak does look like Jupiter. I decided to go with straight
clear varnish and let the natural color do it's own thing.

Leon[_7_] December 1st 17 02:51 PM

More Actual Woodworking

On 12/1/2017 12:33 AM, G Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Beautiful wood and great work.Â* What bandsaw do you use for the veneers?

Thank you.

Laguna 16HD with a 1.25" Resaw King blade.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Sonny December 1st 17 03:06 PM

More Actual Woodworking

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:28:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again. Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I think we all need to be on Leon's Christmas list. Really like that figured wood, too.

Sonny

Leon[_7_] December 1st 17 04:07 PM

More Actual Woodworking

On 12/1/2017 9:06 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:28:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again. Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I think we all need to be on Leon's Christmas list. Really like that figured wood, too.

Sonny

Come visit! You might get one. ;~)

[email protected] December 2nd 17 04:05 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:07:21 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2017 9:06 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:28:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again. Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I think we all need to be on Leon's Christmas list. Really like that figured wood, too.

Sonny

Come visit! You might get one. ;~)

What's for dinner tomorrow?

-MIKE- December 2nd 17 04:42 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On 12/1/17 10:05 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:07:21 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2017 9:06 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:28:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again. Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I think we all need to be on Leon's Christmas list. Really like that figured wood, too.

Sonny

Come visit! You might get one. ;~)

What's for dinner tomorrow?

I'll bring the beer!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

DerbyDad03 December 2nd 17 04:52 AM

More Actual Woodworking

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Energ.../dp/B019AKA6YU

Leon[_7_] December 2nd 17 05:07 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On 12/1/17 10:05 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:07:21 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2017 9:06 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:28:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again. Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I think we all need to be on Leon's Christmas list. Really like that figured wood, too.

Sonny

Come visit! You might get one. ;~)

What's for dinner tomorrow?

I'll bring the beer!

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Energ.../dp/B019AKA6YU

Close. I drink the blue can, zero carbs. I can't drink sugary drinks.

Leon[_7_] December 2nd 17 05:08 AM

More Actual Woodworking

On 12/1/2017 10:42 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/1/17 10:05 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:07:21 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2017 9:06 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:28:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
So it is that time of year and I finally got the urge to work in the
shop again.Â* Again building boxes for Christmas gifts.

I think we all need to be on Leon's Christmas list.Â*Â* Really like
that figuredÂ* wood, too.

Sonny

Come visit!Â* You might get one.Â* ;~)

What's for dinner tomorrow?