DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Eliminate 'splinters' (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/599987-eliminate-splinters.html)

notbob November 11th 17 05:38 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

What have I got myself into?

Long story short: Bear broke into my shed. Wrecked door. I replaced
door. Basic sheet of 3/4" plywood, bordered by 1x4's (?,
1-3/8"X3/4"). I did not paint them.

Now, couple yrs later, I'm getting a lotta 'splinters' from the 1X4's.
Should I paint?, sand?, replace wood?, all the above? I'm not real
experienced, but willing to learn.

nb

DerbyDad03 November 11th 17 07:45 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 12:38:15 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
What have I got myself into?

Long story short: Bear broke into my shed. Wrecked door. I replaced
door. Basic sheet of 3/4" plywood, bordered by 1x4's (?,
1-3/8"X3/4"). I did not paint them.

Now, couple yrs later, I'm getting a lotta 'splinters' from the 1X4's.
Should I paint?, sand?, replace wood?, all the above? I'm not real
experienced, but willing to learn.

nb

Learn to wear gloves.

Bill[_86_] November 11th 17 08:23 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

notbob wrote:
What have I got myself into?

Long story short: Bear broke into my shed. Wrecked door. I replaced
door. Basic sheet of 3/4" plywood, bordered by 1x4's (?,
1-3/8"X3/4"). I did not paint them.

Now, couple yrs later, I'm getting a lotta 'splinters' from the 1X4's.
Should I paint?, sand?, replace wood?, all the above? I'm not real
experienced, but willing to learn.

nb

Just curious, did you use pressure treated lumber? I'm wondering whether
the choice of wood that was used was suitable, but I have no experience
to offer.

Bill

Iggy November 11th 17 08:44 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

replying to notbob, Iggy wrote:
Yep, sand, prime and paint or replace and then prime and paint will do it. Or,
you can replace the 1x4's with PVC or Composite lumber, which doesn't require
any treatment.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...rs-812090-.htm

notbob November 11th 17 08:55 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On 2017-11-11, Bill wrote:

Just curious, did you use pressure treated lumber?

No.

I'm wondering whether the choice of wood that was used was suitable,
but I have no experience to offer.

Thanks fer the attempt.

I was wondering the same thing. I jes bought the cheapest 1X4's
(3-3/8"X3/4") I could afford and screwed them to the 3/4" plywood.
Not elegant, but effective.

The splinters are small, but deep. I got out 2/3rds of the first one,
jes let the reamaining 1/3 go. I'm starting to do the same with this
last splinter. Screw it, it's in deep and doesn't hurt, too bad. In
the future, I'll start wearing gloves when dealing with that
particular door. 8|

nb

notbob November 11th 17 09:00 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On 2017-11-11, Iggy m wrote:

replying to notbob, Iggy wrote:

Yep, sand, prime and paint or replace and then prime and paint will do it.

Tnank you. Kinda figured that might be the answer.

Fortunately, I'll be painting/re-painting the entire abode, next
Spring. Probably a lotta questions, forthcoming, till then. ;)

nb

Bill[_86_] November 12th 17 12:11 AM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On 2017-11-11, Iggy m wrote:

replying to notbob, Iggy wrote:
Yep, sand, prime and paint or replace and then prime and paint will do it.

Tnank you. Kinda figured that might be the answer.

Fortunately, I'll be painting/re-painting the entire abode, next
Spring. Probably a lotta questions, forthcoming, till then. ;)

nb

Replace the 1"x4" wood with treated wood now, and perhaps it will be
more ready to take the primer and paint in the spring. hth.

Bill

notbob November 12th 17 01:43 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On 2017-11-12, Bill wrote:

Replace the 1"x4" wood with treated wood now, and perhaps it will be
more ready to take the primer and paint in the spring. hth.

O.K. Thanks, Bill. I'll check prices ....and my finances. ;)

nb

Ed Pawlowski November 12th 17 02:57 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On 11/11/2017 3:44 PM, Iggy wrote:
replying to notbob, Iggy wrote:
Yep, sand, prime and paint or replace and then prime and paint will do
it. Or,
you can replace the 1x4's with PVC or Composite lumber, which doesn't
require
any treatment.

I thought you didn't like that stuff? You told me how bad it was for
window trim.

Electric Comet November 14th 17 09:20 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On 11 Nov 2017 17:38:09 GMT
notbob wrote:

Now, couple yrs later, I'm getting a lotta 'splinters' from the 1X4's.
Should I paint?, sand?, replace wood?, all the above? I'm not real
experienced, but willing to learn.

entice the bear back
let him or her get the splinters

replace the door
sand the door
prime the door
paint the door
optional maybe shoot the bear but depends on how good the door and
paint are because you may need the bear again later for door removal

of course if the bear eats you then no worries

thing to learn here since you have the thirst is that there are
always options

Roy November 18th 17 07:41 AM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:20:14 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On 11 Nov 2017 17:38:09 GMT
notbob wrote:

Now, couple yrs later, I'm getting a lotta 'splinters' from the 1X4's.
Should I paint?, sand?, replace wood?, all the above? I'm not real
experienced, but willing to learn.

entice the bear back
let him or her get the splinters

replace the door
sand the door
prime the door
paint the door
optional maybe shoot the bear but depends on how good the door and
paint are because you may need the bear again later for door removal

of course if the bear eats you then no worries

thing to learn here since you have the thirst is that there are
always options

Call my neighbor. They took a 500 pound black bear off the mountain behind our
houses last bear season.

notbob November 18th 17 05:13 PM

Eliminate 'splinters'

On 2017-11-18, Roy wrote:

entice the bear back
let him or her get the splinters

LOL....

It was the bear's 2nd offense. They caught him and put him down. 8|

nb