Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My Email To Home Depot Regarding The Husky Hand Tool Replacment Process

I just sent this email to Home Depot Customer Care. I share it with the
members of this fine group just in case you have a Husky hand tool that
needs to be replaced someday. As you will soon see, the process is
pretty straightforward. ;-)

Hi!

Having recently taken advantage of the €śGuaranteed Forever€ť warranty on a
Husky hand tool, I thought that I would do a favor for Home Depot customers..
I wrote a step-by-step guide for your customers to follow to make the tool
replacement experience as enjoyable as possible. Perhaps you would consider
posting this in the Help section of your website so that others can follow
the same process. Please let me know what you think.

1. Go to a Home Depot store with the broken tool. Learn that if Home Depot
no longer carries that exact model, you have to call 888-HD-HUSKY.

2. Call 888-HD-HUSKY. Learn that the replacement of Husky hand tools is the
responsibility of the Home Depot. If they no longer carry the same model,
they have to replace it with an equivalent model.

3. Call the Home Depot store. Learn that they dont carry an equivalent
model, so you have to call 888-HD-HUSKY.

4. Call 888-HD-HUSKY. Learn that if the store doesnt have an equivalent
model, the store has to determine the last price that the original model
sold for and give you store credit for that amount.

5. Call the Home Depot store. Learn that they have no way of determining the
last price that a 15 year old tool sold for. Also learn that the store
employee feels that after 15 years, the tool failed because of "wear and
tear" and that "wear and tear" is not covered.

6. Inform the store employee that the HD website states €śIf your Husky hand
tool ever fails, bring it back and we will replace it free.€ť Inform the store
employee that there is no €śwear and tear€ť exclusion to the Guaranteed Forever
warranty.

7. Learn that there is nothing further that the store can do. Learn that the
only option left is to call the Home Depot Customer Care department at the
Home Depot corporate offices. Obtain the number from the store employee.

8. Call the Home Depot Customer Care department. Learn that they have a
"Proprietary Products" department that handles situations like this. Hold
while they transfer you.

9. Get transferred to a very nice lady named Gladys. Spend some time on the
phone with Gladys while both of you search the HD website for an equivalent
replacement. Since Husky no longer supplies anything close to the tool that
you are trying to replace, choose a somewhat-equivalent tool from a different
manufacturer.

10. Open your email to find a Home Depot Gift Card from Gladys for the price
of the non-Husky but somewhat-equivalent replacement tool.

11. Thank Gladys for her customer focus and genuine desire to help in any
way that she could.

12. Order the non-Husky but somewhat-equivalent replacement tool on
homedepot.com using the gift card.

13. Accept the fact that the non-Husky but somewhat-equivalent replacement
tool is not €śGuaranteed Forever€ť like a Husky replacement would have been.

There you go...pretty simple, right? All it takes is 3 contacts with the local
store, 2 calls to 888-HD-HUSKY and 1 call to the Home Depot corporate office
to obtain a non-guaranteed, non-Husky, somewhat-equivalent replacement for
your Husky hand tool.

I look forward to seeing my write-up in the Help section of homedepot.com.
You dont even have to give me credit. I simply want to help my fellow
Home Depot customers.

Sincerely yours.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 20:12:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I just sent this email to Home Depot Customer Care. I share it with the
members of this fine group just in case you have a Husky hand tool that
needs to be replaced someday. As you will soon see, the process is
pretty straightforward. ;-)

Hi!

Having recently taken advantage of the “Guaranteed Forever” warranty on a
[...]

6. Inform the store employee that the HD website states “If your Husky hand
tool ever fails, bring it back and we will replace it free.” Inform the store
employee that there is no “wear and tear” exclusion to the Guaranteed Forever
[...]

tool is not “Guaranteed Forever” like a Husky replacement would have been.

There you go...pretty simple, right? All it takes is 3 contacts with the local
store, 2 calls to 888-HD-HUSKY and 1 call to the Home Depot corporate office
to obtain a non-guaranteed, non-Husky, somewhat-equivalent replacement for
your Husky hand tool.

I look forward to seeing my write-up in the Help section of homedepot.com.
You don’t even have to give me credit. I simply want to help my fellow
Home Depot customers.

Sincerely yours.

The HD gift card to handle a problem seems to be the standard
response. I purchased some storm windows several years ago. The
screen in one window didr not fit properly because it was not square -
off about 1/2 inch on one side.
Took the screen to local HD to find that they can't get a screen but
they can order a new storm window and exchange it for the existing
storm window (now installed, frame cut to fit the window and caulked
between storm window and mounting surfaces when installed - not
something I want to remove).
Wrote a paper letter to HD Corporate about the impossible situation
they pout their employees in. Got a gift card that covered the price
of the replacement storm window.
That didn't resolve the problem of not being able to get a screen
without purchasing another window (stupid process choice).
We never opened that winddow so the screen was primarily so it would
match the other windows on the house.
Used the gift card toward an air compressor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

top post

The Gift Card "refund" works for the retailers in several
ways - they make about 30 % profit on the original sale ;
plus about 30 % when the gift card is redeemed ;
plus the gift card might get lost - bonus !
Also - many people are like me - they will spend a gift card
more readily - to get rid of it - without the comparison shopping.
John T.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
Yeah, that sounds about right. Though, I was hopeful they or Lowes' Kobalt
might take over for Craftsman. However, you did the best things you could do.
You held them to it and then exposed their fraud, instead of quitting and
cowering.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...cm-811413-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 11:12:10 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I just sent this email to Home Depot Customer Care. I share it with the
members of this fine group just in case you have a Husky hand tool that
needs to be replaced someday. As you will soon see, the process is
pretty straightforward. ;-)

LMAO-- Nice work. For what it's worth, I recently went through a reasonably similar process on a Kobalt Item At Lowes. However, upon surrender of the item at my local store, they just handed me the store credit. They're No longer selling this, probably because they had so many returns!

On the other hand, I have brought a Maul that was clearly lovingly abused back to Sears, and they pointed to the shelf. "Yup. Go get another" was the only comment from the staff. On one hand, it may be why Sears is trending down; too bad good service will jeopardize your business!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:27:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Many years ago (30?) I bought a rolling wooden kitchen cart from JCPenny. I
forget what was wrong with it, but when I called them they said they would
ship out a new one and I could return the old one to the store so I didn't
have to ship it back. (It's a heavy enclosed unit, not just open shelving.)

Anyway, while the picture on the box looked the same, the top was much
better looking on the replacement unit than the original. More of a true
butcher block. SWMBO and I laid out all the pieces (doors, cutting board,
top, etc.) and used the best looking parts from both carts to build a better
looking cart than was in either box. This was the microwave stand in our
first apartment. We still have it in the kitchen of our house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 5:04:51 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 19-Oct-17 3:27 PM, wrote:
... story elided solely for brevity..
... In the end Harbor Freight did the right thing.

...snip...

We've got same problem -- it's 200 mi to the nearest so returning
something is generally more expensive than just buying another and
tossing the first...

Would you like to borrow one of mine?

4 miles, 14 miles, 28 miles, 77 miles, 80 miles, 88 miles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 6:44:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:

And sometimes the best solution for the store is to send you a new
one - and forget about you returning the first one - which solves (for
you) the "no parts available for services" problem - - and saves them
having to dispose of the bad one.

With my shelf cart, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, except it was missing all the nuts and bolts to assemble it. And it had a small dent in one shelf. Probably got that in shipping from China or maybe in the China factory when it was made. Dent was nicely painted over. No paint chipping or cracks. Dent was painted in the original cart painting. These carts come with a small bag of nuts and bolts. They just left this bag out when putting the package together in China. I can't imagine Harbor just throwing the thing away if they got it returned. I would guess they would tape it back in its box and put a sign on it saying "Missing assembly nuts and bolts." Then put it in one of their monthly parking lot sales. A potential customer would see it for 50% off and say "BARGAIN!!!!" And think I have 89 coffee cans of spare nuts and bolts at home collected by my grandpa's grandpa's grandpa and my pa and me over the last 200 years. I can put this cart together without any help! "I'm going to steal this!" Yeah!!! And Harbor makes money since they paid only 10% of retail to the original manufacturer in China. They still net 40% after cutting the price in half.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 9:15:22 AM UTC-4, Steve wrote:
[...]

I picked a Rigid wet-dry vac a few weeks ago. I didn't notice it in the HD store because I was
rushing, but when I got home I noticed the box had been retaped. I try to avoid buying retape
boxes, but I missed it this time.

When I opened the box my worst fears were realized. The vac wasn't just repacked, it was
well used. There must have been 2" of drywall debris in the canister, the filter was coated with
dust and there were pieces missing.

I took it right back, showed it to the clerk and asked her what she could do to make me a
happy customer. "Go grab another vac. How's 15% off sound?" That worked for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 19-Oct-17 4:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Would you like to borrow one of mine?

4 miles, 14 miles, 28 miles, 77 miles, 80 miles, 88 miles.

Actually, I forget...there is an almost brand-new one now in Garden
about 65 mi or so instead of Wichita/Amarillo. In fact, I'm thinking
given how windy out it is today I may just make a trek up there instead
of fighting the wind outside -- I need a trailer jack for the fuel
trailer that nobody in town has for 3X what can get adequate for the
purpose one plus a few other things have caught eye in the lastest
e-mail flyer...which raises question on how the "special coupons"
work--do you have to print copies of those or are there flyers at the
stores for those?

Wouldn't want to drive all the way up there and then they refuse the
deals but hate to waste the paper/toner...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 10:27:40 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I opened the box my worst fears were realized. The vac wasn't just repacked, it was
well used. There must have been 2" of drywall debris in the canister, the filter was coated with
dust and there were pieces missing.

I took it right back, showed it to the clerk and asked her what she could do to make me a
happy customer. "Go grab another vac. How's 15% off sound?" That worked for me.

I go to 3 different Lowe's, any Home Depot that is in the vicinity of my work, and a couple of lumberyards.

Amazing how different each store can be. Each has their own personality. With contacts in management at a few Home Depot stores off and on over the years, and the managers tell me that the monetary demographics have a lot to do wit the store's overall relationship with customers.

These are generalities based on my personal conversations with managers and employees, so please, no lectures on being PC.

In the well to do neighborhoods, the employees are used to being treated pretty badly, much like servants. Demanding women that can't believe that they saw something on TV that a store clerk didn't, weekend warriors in cargo shorts, hiking boots, a well washed ball cap and a plaid shirt... that almost make them a pro. And if they saw something on TOH, or some other show, they just might be a pro. I have was in an HD recently and watched a middle aged man (VERY well dressed in a Ralph Lauren weekend collection kind of way) berate a store clerk because his time was valuable, and the poor clerk didn't have professional grade advice at his fingertips for him. Waiting my turn for my favorite account rep at the pro desk a couple of years ago (for about 20 minutes I might add)I was finally up. I was going over my list of materials and a older, well coiffed and bejeweled woman came up to me, put her hand around my shoulder and said "I'm sorry honey, but I am in a real hurry and I need to talk to this man for a few minutes" and then started asking about drapery installation.

That unleashed a pretty good string of profanity that even surprised me. The manager at that store is changed out about every 18 months as the complaints by the clients pile up and they move them. I have known a few, and they assure me that everyone wants to speak to manager and they have the time to follow up with every complaint to corporate, including their favorite "the person I talked to was very rude" complaint.

My contacts at the least monetarily and mid range income stores tell me it is mixed experiences dealing with customers. But people are very demanding these days, as well as completely dishonest. I have developed a lot more sympathy for the HD employees since I got to know some of the managers. The shop vac you got was probably put in the wrong bin, meant to be returned to HD for refund. OR, if the customer service was filled by a new guy, the taped box may have been claimed to be "unopened" and it wasn't caught. Lots of variables, but I was cheered to hear that 1) you didn't come back here and let everyone know you were a huge prick that laid some (fill in stereotype here) low, and 2) they did you a solid favor by discounting the purchase. Not much I understand, but sometimes the thought counts a lot.

For a lot of different reasons, the whole HD/Lowes model of service has changed. Personally, I don't know how they get anyone to work there. The first weekend DIY snot showing off for his kids that mouthed off to me would certainly cost me my job.

Certainly there are exceptions, but I have found that much like all my professional relationships I get treated by my vendors as well as I treat them. A good example would be that I bought an electrical fixture at Lowe's that was picked by my client. It was the last one in the store, last one in the city. Drove 30 minutes one way to get it. My electrician tried to install it, but couldn't as there were parts missing. VERY close inspection revealed it might have been a repackage. Lowe's discontinued the fixture so no help there.

I called PROGRESSIVE lighting (maker) explained my situation without too much stress on my end and the lady on the other end was more and more relaxed.. She wasn't exactly sure which package of screws and decorative nuts I needed, so she sent me all that came with the light. So I didn't have to wait, she sent them two-day air.

I think a lot of folks would be better served to calm down and remember that in so many cases, situations are out of the person's hands that you are confronting with your problems. My experience at HD has been pretty good over the last 20 years, but I confess my only warranty needs have been serviced by Ridgid. I have never tried Husky (or Kobalt) as they have too many models of too many products for them to keep up. At this juncture, I feel that if I got my $$ of use out of the tool and it breaks, I just toss it. I won't argue over a $12 pair of channel locks that I have had for a couple of years. (BTW, they rely on people like me to not pursue the warranty!)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-10-20 2:22 PM, wrote:

[...]

Yep, I always treat the employees of any store with respect, usually I
will see them go out of their way to help me. Had a Lowe's employee
walk with me halfway across the store once, just to make sure I got what
I wanted. It was a new store, and I wasn't familiar with the layout yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 9:31:03 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Wouldn't want to drive all the way up there and then they refuse the
deals but hate to waste the paper/toner...

Whoa... I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of the chair. My cost to print from my laser printer is ONE frickin' cent! The cost of my paper is 8/10th of cent!

Really??? You are worried about 2 CENTS?

I can be tighter than a top on a banjo, but buddy, you shame me.

HF is very Google friendly. You really should take the PRINTED offer (I know, I know... this could get you to a nickel if you don't watch it) with you as there are dozens of flyers, some are regional. But any stores I have been to honor any current/valid coupon you can produce. One of many current offers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

LOL... 2 cents...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:22:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

PC, no, but perhaps you're just seeing what you expect to see.

[...]

Interestingly, one of the stores here has a downs woman working the
front door. She's usually selling HVAC service contracts, or some
such but she's always nice. I'm rather impressed that HD hired her.

Certainly there are exceptions, but I have found that much like all my professional relationships I get treated by my vendors as well as I treat them. A good example would be that I bought an electrical fixture at Lowe's that was picked by my client. It was the last one in the store, last one in the city. Drove 30 minutes one way to get it. My electrician tried to install it, but couldn't as there were parts missing. VERY close inspection revealed it might have been a repackage. Lowe's discontinued the fixture so no help there.

I'm not a "tradesman", rather the guy showing up in clean clothes (I'd
never go into any store if I was filthy. I may be strange, but even
in the middle of a project, if I have to run to HD, I'll shower first.

I called PROGRESSIVE lighting (maker) explained my situation without too much stress on my end and the lady on the other end was more and more relaxed. She wasn't exactly sure which package of screws and decorative nuts I needed, so she sent me all that came with the light. So I didn't have to wait, she sent them two-day air.

I've dealt with companies like that too. I tend to give them more
business, later.

I think a lot of folks would be better served to calm down and remember that in so many cases, situations are out of the person's hands that you are confronting with your problems. My experience at HD has been pretty good over the last 20 years, but I confess my only warranty needs have been serviced by Ridgid. I have never tried Husky (or Kobalt) as they have too many models of too many products for them to keep up. At this juncture, I feel that if I got my $$ of use out of the tool and it breaks, I just toss it. I won't argue over a $12 pair of channel locks that I have had for a couple of years. (BTW, they rely on people like me to not pursue the warranty!)

+1

....and that goes for the poor slob behind the counter at the airport,
too. He can't pull another flight out of his ass, either. Might just
as well be nice to him. He can make your life miserable or actually
help. I've gotten many to upgrade me to first class, just by being
nice in an otherwise stressful situation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 10:31:03 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 19-Oct-17 4:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Would you like to borrow one of mine?

4 miles, 14 miles, 28 miles, 77 miles, 80 miles, 88 miles.

Actually, I forget...there is an almost brand-new one now in Garden
about 65 mi or so instead of Wichita/Amarillo. In fact, I'm thinking
given how windy out it is today I may just make a trek up there instead
of fighting the wind outside -- I need a trailer jack for the fuel
trailer that nobody in town has for 3X what can get adequate for the
purpose one plus a few other things have caught eye in the lastest
e-mail flyer...which raises question on how the "special coupons"
work--do you have to print copies of those or are there flyers at the
stores for those?

Wouldn't want to drive all the way up there and then they refuse the
deals but hate to waste the paper/toner...

--

In my experience, they do not have the coupons in the stores. They have the sales flyers,
but no coupons. However, if you have a smartphone and can pull up the flyer with the coupons,

If you feel safer printing them, do it in greyscale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 2:44:30 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2017-10-20 2:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

The walking across the store thing doesn't surprise me. Many folks have done that for
me.

I bought a Delta fence for my table saw from HD. Had to order it and had it shipped to the store.
I went to pick it up after work wearing a white shirt and tie (big meeting that day) The box was
big since the rails are 52" and it was pretty dirty. The clerk grabbed it from the online order rack
and processed the pickup. I was about to go get a cart when he said "No problem, I got it."
He tucked it under his arm (sort of. He was a big guy, but not a giant) and said "Where are you
parked?" He the proceeded to carry it to my van and load it in for me. I offered him him a tip
but he said "No thanks, my pleasure."

Nice guy. Real nice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 11:42:21 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The walking across the store thing doesn't surprise me. Many folks have done that for
me.

I bought a Delta fence for my table saw from HD. Had to order it and had it shipped to the store.
I went to pick it up after work wearing a white shirt and tie (big meeting that day) The box was
big since the rails are 52" and it was pretty dirty. The clerk grabbed it from the online order rack
and processed the pickup. I was about to go get a cart when he said "No problem, I got it."
He tucked it under his arm (sort of. He was a big guy, but not a giant) and said "Where are you
parked?" He the proceeded to carry it to my van and load it in for me. I offered him him a tip
but he said "No thanks, my pleasure."

Nice guy. Real nice.

A lot of really decent folks are still out there working, toiling away, but still showing some enthusiasm and integrity. Sometimes all they need is a chance.

I know with my clients, if I get a client that is demanding and rude, he gets no extra concern or consideration. If I have a client that is easy going and laid back, I almost always give that guy a little extra of a bit of free repairs.

Not all that long ago there was a push on the DIY home shows that told the prospective remodelors/flippers that they needed to stand on their contractors hard to get what they wanted, and not to take "no" for an answer. Bad game to play with me. My jobs always come in on time, and I haven't added to the price because I missed the bid in 20+ years.

So if they want to play hard ball, I am all over it. If they are late meeting me on site, I charge them. If they change a paint color, even on something small, I charge them. If they add to the contract, I charge them even if it is something minor. If they leave a gate locked and we cannot get in to work, I charge them. In other words, anything comes up that isn't in my contract, I charge them.

OTOH, if things are going well, we have access to the work area as needed, the client isn't asking for free work and we can work as needed to make up rain days, etc., I gladly do just about anything within reason to make that client happy. If I don't make as much money as planned on a job but has gone well, I am fine for a couple of reasons. First, my own piece of mind, and second, happy clients are referring clients.

I like a smooth running show, and as I said before, sometimes when things aren't going right, all I need to do is step back, take a beat, then open my mouth. I certainly appreciate that kind of consideration from the people I associate with during my business day. And once something has been said, it can't be unsaid. I work hard to keep everyone associated with my company in a place to keep their temperature down.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

tool that needs to be replaced someday. As you will soon see, the
process is pretty straightforward. ;-)

what is straightforward is malfeasance

there are lawyers out there that could start a case just based on
this documented proof

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

tool that needs to be replaced someday. As you will soon see, the
process is pretty straightforward. ;-)

what is straightforward is malfeasance

there are lawyers out there that could start a case just based on
this documented proof

A case of what? A case of wasted time over a silly hand tool? Be my guest.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

tool that needs to be replaced someday. As you will soon see, the
process is pretty straightforward. ;-)

what is straightforward is malfeasance

there are lawyers out there that could start a case just based on
this documented proof

A case of what? A case of wasted time over a silly hand tool? Be my guest.

A pretty good case against, well, case and punctuation, would be my
guess.