Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone have a price & quality opinion on this jointer....

Lot 3 - http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...tails&id=21435

I'm also watching Lot 6 for a friend.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 17-Oct-17 1:17 PM, Sonny wrote:
Lot 3 - http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...tails&id=21435

New Oliver/PM 16" straight cutterhead are in the $8-9K range.

The Extrema is also Asian; solidly built iron with pretty high marks for
durability and such...certainly if you've the space and power and can
get it moved (it'll weigh 1500 lb minimum), it'd easily be worth $5K as
far as actual value; of course, getting money back out would likely all
be in the chance't finding someone else if that were ever to be a
consideration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny writes:
Lot 3 - http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...tails&id=21435

I'm also watching Lot 6 for a friend.

At 3/4 ton, it's a beast.

http://www.extremausa.com/products/jointers.php

Posted to rec.woodworking

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price. I didn't bid on it, as the bidding exceeded my highest offering a few hours before the sale closed.

The bandsaw went for $950, which was more than what I expected it to fetch.

I know where a 24" Oliver jointer is (within a reasonable drive), for $3500. Today, I received a few more pics from the guys. Maybe (I suspect) they'll take less. I haven't made an offer, yet, and 24" is way too much more than I need(?) or want.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 18-Oct-17 4:16 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

Plus whatever it takes to get it home and setup...but that's still
"only" about 50% what new would be. If you're already set up with 3P
power and have reason, wouldn't be a terrible buy...not a real gloat but
not bad for what appears a machine in good condition...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 18-Oct-17 2:56 PM, Sonny wrote:

I know where a 24" Oliver jointer is (within a reasonable drive),
for $3500. Today, I received a few more pics from the guys. Maybe (I
suspect) they'll take less. I haven't made an offer, yet, and 24" is way
too much more than I need(?) or want.

There's no such thing as "too much" width for a jointer providing only
that there is room to set it...just as there's never a planer too wide;
that next panel or wild-edge plank will always be just a little too
wide...

It's the weight of those behemoths that can be the real kicker in how to
handle them for the average home shop...generally don't have a forklift
or whatever to move it.

I thought I had it all figured out for the PM 180 that's only 1600+/-
lb; I can get the little JD 955 utility tractor in the barn so offloaded
it with the big tractor on to the rear hay fork rigged up on the three
point. Turns out it didn't have enough lift to pick it up...ended up
having to rent low-rise pallet mover to get it to position needed as the
overhead clarance in the barn isn't enough to get anything had that had
enough heft inside...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 4:47:51 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

There's no such thing as "too much" width for a jointer providing only
that there is room to set it...

It's the weight of those behemoths that can be the real kicker in how to
handle them for the average home shop...

LOL. I have or can make the space for it. Don't think the tractor, here, is big enough to handle it.

A friend, JB Prudhomme (deceased) - Lafayette Steel Erectors Inc construction yard is within eye sight, though. They have the heavy hauling equipment.. When I bought my planer, I could get free shipping if I had a dock to unload onto, from the semi. Cyndi & Ronnie (daughter & son) provided the dock, plus the forklift to load onto my truck and unload, here, at home. *JB Jr. is CEO of the company, these days. If they'd charge a fee, I'm sure it would be nominal, but I would pay whatever to unload safely & securely, etc.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 4:16:41 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales tax on a used item?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales tax on a used item?

Sale is a sale. Business buying it may be exempt.
Perhaps the local tax laws are different from where you live.
CT tax law:
If a seller that is represented by the sales agent is engaged in
selling the property in the regular course of business, the seller is
liable for collection of sales tax from the buyer measured by the gross
receipts from the property sold. If the seller is making a "casual sale"
pursuant to Conn. Agencies Regs. §12-426-17, tax does not apply to the
sale of the property by the seller to the buyer. In either case,
however, the sales commission paid to the sales agent by the seller is
taxable.

Good new though, caskets are exempt from sales tax!

From: http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
"TAXES: Sales tax where applicable, applies to all sales unless the
Buyer, in the sole determination of Auctioneer, provides Auctioneer
with proper sales tax exemption documents."

The only internet auction I've ever bought from is eBay. The only
time I pay sales tax through eBay is if the seller is located in my
State. I have never paid a "Buyer's Fee" regardless.

If I were the highest bidder on either of the following auctions, I
would only pay my wining bid amount because I'm not a resident of
California...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Oliver-J...-/332416278526
or Maine...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Northfie...-/322824843349

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales tax on a used item?

Sale is a sale. Business buying it may be exempt.

Generally not, if it's used by the business (rather than resold).

From: http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
"TAXES: Sales tax where applicable, applies to all sales unless the
Buyer, in the sole determination of Auctioneer, provides Auctioneer
with proper sales tax exemption documents."

The only internet auction I've ever bought from is eBay. The only
time I pay sales tax through eBay is if the seller is located in my
State. I have never paid a "Buyer's Fee" regardless.

If I were the highest bidder on either of the following auctions, I
would only pay my wining bid amount because I'm not a resident of
California...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Oliver-J...-/332416278526
or Maine...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Northfie...-/322824843349

But you may be subject to the Use Tax. Ebay gets a cut of the selling
price and that is included in your bid offer. In most sttes if you are
not charged a tax on out of state purchases you are supposed to pay a
Use Tax to your home state. Just send it in!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales tax on a used item?

Sale is a sale. Business buying it may be exempt.

Generally not, if it's used by the business (rather than resold).

State law varies. If it is used in production of your product it may be
exempt. We never paid tax on machines, raw material, packing material.
We did pay for janitorial supplies and the like.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
Â*Â*Â* 555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+Â* 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items?Â* I have been to a few farm auctions,
and there is no sales tax.Â* The buyer's premium is possible.Â* But
sales tax on a used item?

From:
http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
"TAXES:Â* Sales tax where applicable, applies to all sales unless the
Buyer, in the sole determination of Auctioneer, provides Auctioneer
with proper sales tax exemption documents."

The only internet auction I've ever bought from is eBay. The only
time I pay sales tax through eBay is if the seller is located in my
State. I have never paid a "Buyer's Fee" regardless.

If I were the highest bidder on either of the following auctions, I
would only pay my wining bid amount because I'm not a resident of
California...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Oliver-J...-/332416278526
or Maine...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Northfie...-/322824843349

But you may be subject to the Use Tax.Â* Ebay gets a cut of the selling
price and that is included in your bid offer.Â* In most sttes if you are
not charged a tax on out of state purchases you are supposed to pay a
Use Tax to your home state.Â* Just send it in!

Precisely. But most do not pay a sales tax on these type transactions
because they are not a business. It is not financially feasible for the
state to track down and go after non business unregistered buyers.
It is the responsibility of the buyer to pay the sales tax and the
sellers responsibility to collect the sales tax and submit to the state
that they are doing business in. If the sale is outside the state the
buyer should submit the sales tax directly to the state. But few ever
do that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

From:
[...]

When the internet was newer, had a friend who bought cigs from
Kentucky, Illinois dept. of Revenue did get wise and he was handed a
large bill based upon previous purchases.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 18-Oct-17 7:50 PM, wrote:

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and
there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales
tax on a used item?

NE law--

"An auction is a sale of land, property, or services to the highest
bidder. An auctioneer is a person authorized to sell property and
services at auction for a commission or fee."

"Auctioneers are retailers and must obtain a Nebraska Sales Tax Permit.
Auctioneers are required to collect and remit the appropriate sales tax
on all sales, unless a specific exemption applies. The auctioneer must
retain documentation in his or her business records supporting all
non-taxed sales."

"Farm Auctions. Household goods, personal effects, tools, miscellaneous
items, and farm machinery and equipment sold at a farm sale conducted,
supervised, or aided by an auctioneer are taxable.
Agricultural machinery and equipment that is used directly in the
cultivating or harvesting of a crop, the raising or caring of animal
life, or the collecting or processing of an agricultural product on the
farm or ranch is exempt from tax with a completed Nebraska Resale or
Exempt Sale Certificate, Form 13, from the buyer. For additional
information regarding this exemption and types of qualifying machinery
and equipment please see the Agricultural Machinery and Equipment
Information Guide.

When the auctioneer makes sales of qualified agricultural machinery and
equipment, he/she is acting like a farm implement dealer and must charge
the sales tax on machinery and equipment at farm auctions unless the
buyer completes a Form 13."

I know no other state in the area surrounding us and including KS that
doesn't have essentially identical law. KS is a little "more simpler"
for farm use declaration in that the purchaser can have an exempt
certificate on file rather than having to have specific certificate in
hand. But, in theory, anything other than the specifically-exempted
production equipment is taxable if the auction is conducted by auctioneer.

Individual one-on-one sales are _not_ covered and are exempt.

States will make every effort to tax any and all financial activity
wherever and however it takes place that they have any hope whatever of
collecting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2017 12:39 PM, Leon wrote:

But you may be subject to the Use Tax.Â* Ebay gets a cut of the selling
price and that is included in your bid offer.Â* In most sttes if you
are not charged a tax on out of state purchases you are supposed to
pay a Use Tax to your home state.Â* Just send it in!

Precisely.Â* But most do not pay a sales tax on these type transactions
because they are not a business.Â* It is not financially feasible for the
state to track down and go after non business unregistered buyers.
It is the responsibility of the buyer to pay the sales tax and the
sellers responsibility to collect the sales tax and submit to the state
that they are doing business in.Â* If the sale is outside the state the
buyer should submit the sales tax directly to the state.Â* But few ever
do that.

Our state income tax form has a line where you can fill in the tax owed
for out of state and mail order purchases. The people of CT are very
honest and I'm sure everyone fills it out properly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2017 3:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/19/2017 12:39 PM, Leon wrote:

But you may be subject to the Use Tax.Â* Ebay gets a cut of the
selling price and that is included in your bid offer.Â* In most sttes
if you are not charged a tax on out of state purchases you are
supposed to pay a Use Tax to your home state.Â* Just send it in!

Precisely.Â* But most do not pay a sales tax on these type transactions
because they are not a business.Â* It is not financially feasible for
the state to track down and go after non business unregistered buyers.
It is the responsibility of the buyer to pay the sales tax and the
sellers responsibility to collect the sales tax and submit to the
state that they are doing business in.Â* If the sale is outside the
state the buyer should submit the sales tax directly to the state.
But few ever do that.

Our state income tax form has a line where you can fill in the tax owed
for out of state and mail order purchases.Â* The people of CT are very
honest and I'm sure everyone fills it out properly.

Uh huh.... What is State Income Tax? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 18-Oct-17 5:55 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I've got loading/unloading facilities and forks on front of big tractor
for that part; the barn is just so low on the first floor can't get
anything but the little utility tractor in there...I don't have a shed
that wasn't built in the '20s or before so they're all sized for
horse/wagon and/or trucks/tractors of the era. I've thought for years
should just bite the bullet and build a modern barn/shed but too cheap
to actually do so it seems...

From: http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
[...]

The states I've lived in have a place on the income tax form to report
sales and use tax that was unpaid.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/19/2017 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

owed for out of state and mail order purchases.Â* The people of CT are
very honest and I'm sure everyone fills it out properly.

Uh huh....Â* What is State Income Tax?Â* ;~)

Money we spend to reduce our Federal Income Tax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

The jointer went for $3700, probably a reasonable price.

$3,700
555 (15% Buyer's Premium)
+ 370 (10% Baton Rouge Sales Tax)
------
$4,625 OUCH!

http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/au....asp?auc=21435
https://www.taxrates.com/state-rates...s/baton-rouge/

Sales tax on auction items? I have been to a few farm auctions, and there is no sales tax. The buyer's premium is possible. But sales tax on a used item?

Man, if there was no sales tax on "used items" I'd be a rich man. I haven't bought a new car
in 30 years but I sure have paid a lot of sales tax on used ones.