Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cad for shop layout

there is a program called librecad that made it easy for me to enter the
shop equipment footprints and to rearrange the layout

every time i try one of these programs the dreaded learning curve makes
me hesitant

but this program has a command line so it is super easy to create a block
for each piece of equipment and then use those blocks on the master
floor plan

rec
0,0
24,36

now you have a rectangle and can then add text with just a couple clicks
save it to library/shop directory and librecad will see it

i probably could have done things by using scaling rather than dimensions
but that will have to wait for next time

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 10:07:10 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

there is a program called librecad that made it easy for me to enter the
shop equipment footprints and to rearrange the layout

I use Sketchup for pretty much everything. I had to try to get across
some ideas for the mechanical package for a product I'm doing at work.
We didn't have an ME assigned to the project, yet, so I made the
drawings in Sketchup, just to get the idea across.

every time i try one of these programs the dreaded learning curve makes
me hesitant

Which is why I use Sketchup. I have better things to do than learn
yet another inconsistent software package.

but this program has a command line so it is super easy to create a block
for each piece of equipment and then use those blocks on the master
floor plan

rec
0,0
24,36

now you have a rectangle and can then add text with just a couple clicks
save it to library/shop directory and librecad will see it

i probably could have done things by using scaling rather than dimensions
but that will have to wait for next time

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 05:50:53 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

Grizzly has a workshop layout feature on their website. Includes
footprints of most if not all of their power tools...
http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

own exactly one grizzly tool

but that is a good offering from them

scale cutouts work well too

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in newsunj63$1c4$2
@dont-email.me:

wrote:

Grizzly has a workshop layout feature on their website. Includes
footprints of most if not all of their power tools...
http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

own exactly one grizzly tool

but that is a good offering from them

scale cutouts work well too

A Grizzly table saw is not likely to be too different than a Ridgid in
size. A Jet Bandsaw is likely to be almost exactly the same size as a
Delta or a Grizzly.

The tool is useful even if you don't own their tools.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Grizzly has a workshop layout feature on their website. Includes
footprints of most if not all of their power tools...
http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner

own exactly one grizzly tool

but that is a good offering from them

scale cutouts work well too

A Grizzly table saw is not likely to be too different than a Ridgid in
size.

As a blanket statement, that's not true.

Ridgid has a very limited selection of table saws, while Grizzly has numerous models, some requiring some interesting floor space.

http://www.grizzly.com/tablesaws?page=1

A Jet Bandsaw is likely to be almost exactly the same size as a
Delta or a Grizzly.

The tool is useful even if you don't own their tools.

I agree with both of those statements. ;-)

CAD/CAD packages for lathe and mill jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 2 December 13th 13 11:05 PM
design cad, turbo cad John Moorhead Woodworking 13 May 29th 05 02:08 AM
Shop Layout CAD on Grizzly site K. B. Woodworking 0 February 20th 05 05:43 PM
Shop layout jtaylor Metalworking 14 August 16th 04 02:49 AM
smart layout for very small shop? mongke Metalworking 7 January 16th 04 03:30 PM