Posted to rec.woodworking

Default workbench height

currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/17 10:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms
are straight down

that seems too low to me

Yeah, waaaaay too low.
A good starting point is your elbows. This is to allow a straight back
when using planes and such, and still get your weight into it. I find I
like benches at 36", minimum. You don't want to be working a long time
with a bent back.

Palms level is desk height, not work bench.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2017 9:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches but i am think of lowering it
one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your
arms are straight down that seems too low to me

Personally,
I like my bench top the same height as my table saw.
But there is no rule, make it whatever is comfortable for you.
If 35 inches seems too low to you, then it IS too low for you.
It's your bench, not someone else's. To paraphrase Rick Nelson,
you can't please everyone, so please yourself. Make it chin level,
or kneecap level, if that's what you want.

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."
-
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2017 11:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

That may work for an assembly table for a cabinet, but not for normal
work. Too lazy to run out t the shop right now to measure, but about
the height of the tablesaw would work, give or take depsing on your
height.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/15/2017 5:19 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 10/14/2017 9:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches but i am think of lowering it
one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your
arms are straight downÂ*Â*Â* that seems too low to me

Personally,
I like my bench top the same height as my table saw.
But there is no rule, make it whatever is comfortable for you.
If 35 inches seems too low to you, then it IS too low for you.
It's your bench, not someone else's.Â* To paraphrase Rick Nelson,
you can't please everyone, so please yourself.Â* Make it chin level,
or kneecap level, if that's what you want.

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."
Â*Â* -

Mine is the height of my table saw. It is on wheels so the saw and the
work bench can be arranged into the formation that provides the best
work flow for the job I am doing.

Being on wheels and the height of the table saw the bench can be an
extension of the table itself. When I rip on the saw, the bench is
placed on the out feed side of the saw and supports the pieces as they
come off of the saw.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 10:47:25 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

Because of back problems, I built my workbench about 37 1/2" high. That worked great for everything except planing. It took a trip to a Highland Hardware class to discover my bench was too high to plane effectively. My solution was to build a box, which slides under the bench when not in use, that gives me an effective workbench top of 34". Now, I can actually flatten boards on the work bench, rather than making them wedge shape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2017 11:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

I used the standard of "a fraction lower than the height of my table saw"
which means 34". Since I'm working in a very tiny shop it is sometimes
necessary for wood going across the saw to overlap the bench. I did the
same thing for my router table's and chop saw's height. Both of these are
roll-arounds but sometimes it is more convenient to leave them in place. In
a pinch, with the router table's fence removed it can be rolled over to
serve as an outfeed for the TS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 08:04:36 -0400
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Mine is the height of my table saw. It is on wheels so the saw and
the work bench can be arranged into the formation that provides the
best work flow for the job I am doing.

Being on wheels and the height of the table saw the bench can be an
extension of the table itself. When I rip on the saw, the bench is
placed on the out feed side of the saw and supports the pieces as
they come off of the saw.

this makes sense and i always try to make everything multi use in the
shop

finally got around to measuring the footprint of everything and putting
it into a cad file so i can rearrange the layout easily

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/15/2017 9:17 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 10/14/2017 11:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches
but i am think of lowering it
one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where
your arms are straight down that seems too low to me

I used the standard of "a fraction lower than the height of my table
saw" which means 34". Since I'm working in a very tiny shop it is
sometimes necessary for wood going across the saw to overlap the bench.
I did the same thing for my router table's and chop saw's height. Both
of these are roll-arounds but sometimes it is more convenient to leave
them in place. In a pinch, with the router table's fence removed it can
be rolled over to serve as an outfeed for the TS.

I killed two birds with one stone. I built an extension for
my table saw about two feed beyond my fence bar, and mounted
my router in it, so my table saw extension IS my router table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/15/2017 5:19 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 10/14/2017 9:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches but i am think of lowering it
one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your
arms are straight down*** that seems too low to me

Personally,
I like my bench top the same height as my table saw.
But there is no rule, make it whatever is comfortable for you.
If 35 inches seems too low to you, then it IS too low for you.
It's your bench, not someone else's.* To paraphrase Rick Nelson,
you can't please everyone, so please yourself.* Make it chin level,
or kneecap level, if that's what you want.

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."
** -

Mine is the height of my table saw. It is on wheels so the saw and the
work bench can be arranged into the formation that provides the best
work flow for the job I am doing.

Being on wheels and the height of the table saw the bench can be an
extension of the table itself. When I rip on the saw, the bench is
placed on the out feed side of the saw and supports the pieces as they
come off of the saw.

I do the same, though the table stays behind the operator. I use the
table to break down panels but it helps when ripping, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2017 11:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

I use the palm technique too.
I do a lot of hand work. Planing, chiseling, hand sawing. When
Handsawing the hand should not be above the elbow for certain
cuts(dovetails especially).

For machine tool use, you can easily go higher, but not for hand tools.
For dovetailing I made a riser bench so I can chop dovetails I like it,
clamp it to the bench. I can sacrifice the top on that w/o feeling bad.

My bench is too heavy to lift, so I can't go up and down using risers
under the legs, but I don't regret my decision as I have another bench
2.5 inches higher if I need it. I prefer the lower most of the time.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 10:47:25 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

Because of back problems, I built my workbench about 37 1/2" high. That worked great for everything except planing. It took a trip to a Highland Hardware class to discover my bench was too high to plane effectively. My solution was to build a box, which slides under the bench when not in use, that gives me an effective workbench top of 34". Now, I can actually flatten boards on the work bench, rather than making them wedge shape.

I spent several minutes, at least, deciding how high I wanted the
workbench I was building to be. I decided on 40", exactly, AND, if I
ever wanted it shorter I could always trim the legs. I suppose you could
always extend the legs too, but that is not quite as simple.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 10:47:25 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
currently mine is at 35 inches

but i am think of lowering it

one guy recommended the height of horizontal palms where your arms are
straight down

that seems too low to me

My oak workbench with vises is 38 inches high. As the prior person said, cutting the legs shorter is always possible. Or standing on a platform, piece of plywood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:32:30 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

My oak workbench with vises is 38 inches high. As the prior person
said, cutting the legs shorter is always possible. Or standing on a
platform, piece of plywood.

small shop dictates multiple purpose so i matched the bench to the
table saw

so far so good

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 20:34:07 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

My bench is too heavy to lift, so I can't go up and down using risers
under the legs, but I don't regret my decision as I have another

i saw a bench that had hydraulic lifts which seemed to be over the top

bench 2.5 inches higher if I need it. I prefer the lower most of the
time.

with two benches you get the best of both worlds

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-10-20, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The reason i suggested 1 x 3 is you have a bit of flex on the slats that
save your back while working.

Also, check yer shoes!

When I was a machinist --working on a cement floor-- I bought some
high-dollar walking shoes to wear while working.

They were TOO soft! My foot was allowed to move in any direction, so
they did. I began wearing some new steel-toe low-top oxfords w/ very
thick soles. The difference was astonishing. The thick board-stiff
soles didn't allow my foot to move anywhere but fore'n aft. It's
precisely what my feet needed. (I'll also admit to being quite young)

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 8:05:56 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Mats made for standing help too, of course.

I need to find some of those rubber, spongy mats. Those would be nice to stand on at the bench. Even wearing comfortable sneakers, those mats would be wonderful to stand on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 8:05:56 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Mats made for standing help too, of course.

I need to find some of those rubber, spongy mats. Those would be nice to stand on at the bench. Even wearing comfortable sneakers, those mats would be wonderful to stand on.

https://www.harborfreight.com/anti-f...mat-62205.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-94635.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-a...mat-98858.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 9:46:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 8:05:56 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Mats made for standing help too, of course.

I need to find some of those rubber, spongy mats. Those would be nice to stand on at the bench. Even wearing comfortable sneakers, those mats would be wonderful to stand on.

The harbor freight mats are not only good for standing on but for kneeling on, for padding
the sides of your vehicle when hauling stuff, for padding between furniture when
moving/storing, etc.

I cut them on my band saw into small sizes and odd shapes whenever I need to protect/cushion
something. I even have a piece attached to the top of my cooler so that my dog can stand on
it and look of out the van window without sliding around. :-)

They ain't just for protecting your feet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 7:22:02 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-a...mat-98858.html

$6 a sq ft!!!

You might check prices on the preferred (?), specifically the, EVA foam mats.

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/in...soft-tile.html

Walmart has a variety of EVA foam mats, also.
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/connectable-floor-mats

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 7:22:02 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-a...mat-98858.html

$6 a sq ft!!!

Peel and stick rubber tread for no-slip safety conscious work
environment folk.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media...mage_12398.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Mats made for standing help too, of course.

I need to find some of those rubber, spongy mats. Those would be
nice to stand on at the bench. Even wearing comfortable sneakers,
those mats would be wonderful to stand on.

The harbor freight mats are not only good for standing on but for
kneeling on, for padding the sides of your vehicle when hauling
stuff, for padding between furniture when moving/storing, etc.

I cut them on my band saw into small sizes and odd shapes whenever I
need to protect/cushion something. I even have a piece attached to
the top of my cooler so that my dog can stand on it and look of out
the van window without sliding around. :-)

They ain't just for protecting your feet.

Yep! I use them for lying on underneath vehicle when doing repairs.
I use them for custom drum and electronics cases.
On work tables when sanding large objects to protect them and keep them
from sliding around while sanding.

They are kind of like rubber gloves or dust masks. Every time they're
on sale at a ridiculous price, I pick up another pack of them to rotate
into the collection. The old ones end up getting dirt and oil embedded
into them.

Speaking of ridiculous prices, HF has a coupon for their moving blankets
for 70% off which makes them 3 bucks each. Besides their obvious
purpose, they are great for throwing over the table saw or other large
surfaces when you need to mask from sanding/sawdust or paint.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

+1

I forgot to mention the use as large sanding pads, which is on topic for the
wRec. I could extend my list of uses, but between the 2 of us I think we've
got the point across. :-)

Speaking of ridiculous prices, HF has a coupon for their moving blankets
for 70% off which makes them 3 bucks each. Besides their obvious
purpose, they are great for throwing over the table saw or other large
surfaces when you need to mask from sanding/sawdust or paint.

Another one of my favorites! I have a bunch of them.

A few years ago I cut one of the large blues into 3 pieces: A large piece
cut to fit the back of my Odyssey when the rear seat is folded into the
floor (which it just about always is) and 2 smaller, narrow strips. One
strip is used in front of the middle row seats to protect the carpets from
the dog and anything I might put on the floor back there, like muddy boots.
The other piece is used to cover the exposed carpet and seat connections
when I take the middle row out to haul stuff. I know a lady who works at
a fabric store that has a serger. She charged me $10 to hem all exposed
edges.

I just put one of the smaller black moving blankets in the way back of
SWMBO's new-to-her grey CR-V with the back interior. It's fits fine without
cutting. She runs a green house at a day-hap, so she's always hauling plants
back and forth. The blanket will keep the carpets nice and clean.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 09:05:51 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

standing on concrete. Mats made for standing help too, of course.

i used some retired bath mats made from some kind of soft plastic
that also had suction cups and over that i used a plastic carpet
runner with the grippy points on the bottom

it worked fine but in a recent cleaning i noticed that the bath mat
had started to react with the concrete

the mat left a stain on the concrete and the entire mat changed color

it got darker

the carpet runner did not change at all

i tossed the bath mat

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I use large pieces of cardboard, like from a refrigerator when working under
the vehicles. I find that I can slide around on cardboard easier than on
the mats. It also slides around on the ground very easily, even when loaded
up with tools. Cardboard also absorbs oil and other liquids a little better
than the rubber mats.

If you use 2-3 layers, it provides quite a lot of cushion for knees, hips
and elbows. I have a pretty decent stack up in the storage loft of my garage.

You can have a few sheets if you want them. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Funny you mention that. It's hard to come by single pieces of cardboard
that size, however I do a lot of storm door installations.

The boxes they come in are a perfect "man -size." They are usually
slick on one side so easy to slide around on.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure the box from the storm door I installed a few years ago is in my
stack some place. Collecting larges piece of cardboard can get to be an
obsession. ;-)

I have 2 pieces that are a perfect fit to stand up sideways in the back
of my Odyssey and bend across the back of the middle row seats. They
protect the sides of the cargo area as well as the backs of the seats. They
*do not* get used under the vehicle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Two storm door boxes, folded open, standing up, make a perfect small
paint booth.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I started to throw out my cardboard stash then decided not to. Large
cardboard boxes have so many uses. One recent was to may a bed "ie
truck bed" in the back of my van so I could carry some messy items. I
also keep some under my lawn tractor, when I spill oil while adding it
to the tractor.

As to the Mats. I use large squares of scrap carpet. You can usually
find them in new houses after install, or at the carpet store. Most of
the time they give them away.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre