Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice Wanted On This Trim Project

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 9:58:19 AM UTC-4, Brewster wrote:
On 10/17/17 6:53 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 8:59:47 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:20:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

The article says "9 years", which is about what I've found. I have to
replace mine (the house is ten years old) and I had to replace it on
my last house (at five years). I'm not sure if I'm going to add to
the deck, and cover it, or just replace the decking. I'll probably
put it off 'til spring.

I've got untreated PT decking that has lasted just fine for 25+ years.

Without waterproofing, of some sort?

None. Maybe PT wood was better back then.

Or just maybe the local climate makes a difference in the longevity
of pressure treated softwoods.

The decks/walkways in question see an average of 35" of rain and 85" of snow
per year. Both areas get shoveled, so they are rarely snow covered for any
length of time. Neither area gets any sun to speak of.

And around here, we're lucky to get 15" total moisture annually (99% from
November through April). PT lasts a long time.

In these parts we get more rain in a year than most places get in a
single day. PT lumber typically dissolves from UV exposure.

-BR

Which may explain why my decks and walkways have lasted for so long.

They get so little sun, they don't even know how to spell UV.