Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I need a wide handled, angled scorp.....

Anyone know where a wide handled scorp might be? The handles on my 6" scorp are about 10" wide. I need a handle span of at least 13".... 15"-18" is even better. Also, I need the blade to be angled at least 15° offset from the handles' plane.

Has anyone ever made a custom scorp? If so, any recommendations or advice? I had thought to maybe use a (auto) leaf spring, but not sure if the metal is appropriate.... if the ends could be heated, to form the handle mounts, and the heating not take away from the metal quality. I have an old froe that might work well, but not sure I want to get rid of the froe.

Been checking Ebay for a 1.5" or 2" wide curved gouge.... and the blade length be curved, also. Anyone ever see something as this hanging around?

TIA

On other notes:
-My AT&T internet had been down for 3 weeks.... ATT was replaced with Cox, today.
For lack of internet play....
-Got the 2 other "garage" doors built, lately. On this set of doors, I hand planed the raised panels aspect, as opposed to the typical machine cutting. Thought it would take lots of work and time, but it was fairly easy and only took about 2-3 hours to do both sides of all 4 panels. One door pic. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/ Need to put a finish on them.
-Been working on the cypress chairs, also.... need the scorp and gouge for some of the further work.
-With the recent storms in neighboring states, seemed a good time to do some house inspections and maintenance, so I've done a little of that, lately, also. Have some touch priming & painting to do, still.
-Removed a large yucca tree and removed a goldfish/koi pond.... making space for the telescope positioning, etc.
-Winter garden tilling is next on the agenda.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

I have an old folding handle draw knife (blade length 8"). The
handles attach with wing nuts. A good blacksmith should be able to
form it to a curve and restore the temper of the blade. The handles
could be made like you want and attach them easily. If you think this
is feasible, it is yours.

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

Anyone know where a wide handled scorp might be?

Sonny, send an email to Patrick Leach ). He's a prolific
independent dealer in antique tools, and a straight shooter, and my guess is
that he'll have what you're looking for. Give him the best description you
can of what you're after.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Tom & GR. This weekend is our Festivals Acadian and discovered a few blacksmiths will be showing their wares. I'll run by their booths and see what they have to offer.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:19:58 -0700, "tdacon"
wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message

Anyone know where a wide handled scorp might be?

Sonny, send an email to Patrick Leach ). He's a prolific
independent dealer in antique tools, and a straight shooter, and my guess is
that he'll have what you're looking for. Give him the best description you
can of what you're after.

Tom

Sonny,

Two places I have bought quite a few tools from over the years, and have been
very happy with the results. The first is Joshua Clark's sales site. You can
leave a message telling him what you are looking for at his site. He used to
follow the group a lot a few years back. http://www.hyperkitten.com/

If you are a member of the Oldtools mailing list, you can post a wanted message
there. Mondays are the day reserved for posting For Sale lists. Check the FAQ.
https://oldtools.swingleydev.com/mai...tinfo/oldtools

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 12:17:01 AM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
Tom wrote
Sonny, send an email to Patrick Leach ).

Thursday, I sent a note to Patrick. Haven't gotten a reply, yet.

Roy:
The first is Joshua Clark's sales site.

Joshua didn't have one, but was to keep a lookout for one. I'll let him know I'm having one made.

Met with a Jerry Baker (blacksmith) today. $100 to make one, minus the wooden handles. Should be done by end of this coming week or early the following week. Jerry likes old tools, said he'll make one for himself, as well.

Rather than use a leaf spring, he said a coil spring is better.... it's better to work from round stock for this application. He appreciated my giving him the two leaf springs I had, also.

Sonny

Wood handled chisels wayne Woodworking 7 June 3rd 08 12:14 AM
Source for Door Rose Handled Bolts? No Name UK diy 1 May 26th 08 09:31 PM
Hardie Cement Pre-Painted House Siding: How Are Nail Heads Handled ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 August 7th 06 12:48 AM
Vendor Needed for Wood Handled Razor Kits Rick Dasher Woodworking 1 May 5th 06 03:18 PM
how to sharpen Inshave or Scorp ziko Woodworking 5 December 13th 05 03:04 PM