Old August 5th 17, 09:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:20:09 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/5/17 2:12 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/5/2017 2:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/5/17 1:21 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/4/2017 10:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to
keep your shop floor clean? Just wondering if it works...

The best answer is "The company thought of that and made a product
for cleaning shops and it was a total bust so it was dropped."

https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-110-Di...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Shops are not meant to be _totally_ clean. If your shop is immaculate
then you aren't using it right.

I get what you're saying, John, and agree with the premise.
However, any time I do finishing, I sure wish my shop was "immaculate"
because it would save me a whole lot of time knocking the fuzz off
between coats.

There are air cleaners for the airborne stuff and I see a place for
something that would capture all that stuff on the floor before it gets
airborne.

Something along these lines works beautifully in removing fine dust from
floors. I always find that, if you don't have a dedicated finishing
area, cleaning up as best you can, waiting a couple of hours, and then
proceeding carefully so as not to raise any remaining dust works best.
This also means turning off any 'dust filters', fans, heaters, or air
conditioners since each of these will sabotage your efforts to get dust
out of the air. That can make things pretty uncomfortable for a while
depending on season and your shop.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never imagined
something like that for dust.

They used that stuff at the high school back in the sixties/seventies
all the time. - it was a "dust magnet" compound.

Old August 5th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never imagined
something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.
Old August 6th 17, 03:18 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/17 4:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old August 6th 17, 03:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Works on any floor type, Mike. Most that I've seen has a red dye in it
so you can see it on the floor. As others have said, a little goes a
long way. Not only does the oily consistency (not enough to smear) pick
up the dust, it prevents it from becoming airborne. Others have
attested to its vintage. I first recall seeing my father using it in
our basement ca 1953 and he was hardly an innovator. ;-)

Old August 6th 17, 03:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Yes it does. The old hardware srore in Elmira Ontario had hardwood
floors and sweepong compound was used all the time.It was also used on
hardwood floors as well as terrazo ot school.

iRobot Scooba / Roomba komobu Home Repair 16 June 28th 07 09:11 PM
Roomba vs. Trilobite aniram Home Ownership 23 February 24th 05 02:49 AM
Roomba asd Home Ownership 6 December 31st 04 08:33 PM
OT Roomba robotic floor sweepers Capitol UK diy 4 August 4th 04 07:04 PM
Roomba Vacuum cleaner question SteveB Home Repair 19 February 27th 04 07:41 PM