Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gluing Burned Wood

I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

The front edge of each shelf will be banded using solid wood. The
sides of the shelves will be held in shallow dados and glued to the
plywood sides.

I'm concerned that the burning might have affected the porosity of the
wood and, so, might affect gluing. I don't want to sand the edges of
the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob Penoyer" wrote in message
I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

The front edge of each shelf will be banded using solid wood. The
sides of the shelves will be held in shallow dados and glued to the
plywood sides.

I'm concerned that the burning might have affected the porosity of the
wood and, so, might affect gluing. I don't want to sand the edges of
the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?

Yes assuming the edges don't look like you took a blow torch to them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/2017 3:32 AM, Bob Penoyer wrote:
I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

The front edge of each shelf will be banded using solid wood. The
sides of the shelves will be held in shallow dados and glued to the
plywood sides.

I'm concerned that the burning might have affected the porosity of the
wood and, so, might affect gluing. I don't want to sand the edges of
the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?

Depends on how bad the burning is. Cabinet shelves do not require the
same accuracy as the trajectory of moon shot so I'd try to clean them up
a little. You won't see 1/64 or so.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/2017 2:32 AM, Bob Penoyer wrote:
I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

The front edge of each shelf will be banded using solid wood. The
sides of the shelves will be held in shallow dados and glued to the
plywood sides.

I'm concerned that the burning might have affected the porosity of the
wood and, so, might affect gluing. I don't want to sand the edges of
the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?

Unless the edge is charred 1/16" deep sanding will not remove too much
wood. Typically burnt wood is superficial and is only a few thousands
of an inch deep.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 07:55:11 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/6/2017 2:32 AM, Bob Penoyer wrote:
I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

The front edge of each shelf will be banded using solid wood. The
sides of the shelves will be held in shallow dados and glued to the
plywood sides.

I'm concerned that the burning might have affected the porosity of the
wood and, so, might affect gluing. I don't want to sand the edges of
the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?

Unless the edge is charred 1/16" deep sanding will not remove too much
wood. Typically burnt wood is superficial and is only a few thousands
of an inch deep.

If the table saw burned the wood badly enough to affect the
integrity of the joints - I think he has more serious issues to
consider ! :-)
.. John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/17 2:32 AM, Bob Penoyer wrote:
I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

The front edge of each shelf will be banded using solid wood. The
sides of the shelves will be held in shallow dados and glued to the
plywood sides.

I'm concerned that the burning might have affected the porosity of
the wood and, so, might affect gluing. I don't want to sand the edges
of the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?

1. I doubt it will be a problem at all.
2. Go ahead and sand some of it off if for no other reason than to open
up the grain a bit.
3. Burning it caused by a blade that is either dull or askew. If your
blade is nice and sharp, then askew is the culprit. Either the blade is
warped (not uncommon) or your table saw needs trued up. The blade
trunnions need adjusted so the blade is be perfectly parallel to the
miter slots. Google how to check and adjust blade alignment.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 12:32:13 AM UTC-7, Bob Penoyer wrote:
I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

...I don't want to sand the edges of
the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?

No. Sand the edges, to get the right surface for glue adhesion.
What causes 'burning' is a saw blade that's blunt or misaligned,
which rubs on the wood; this will collapse the wood fiber at the
cut, which impedes glue.

Coarse sandpaper, just enough to roughen the surface, is good for this.
I'd go for 80 grit and do it by hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/06/2017 11:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

... or your table saw needs trued up. The blade
trunnions need adjusted so the blade is be perfectly parallel to the
miter slots. ...

_Most_ saws will adjust the table to the trunnions, not vice versa...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/17 3:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/06/2017 11:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

... or your table saw needs trued up. The blade
trunnions need adjusted so the blade is be perfectly parallel to the
miter slots. ...

_Most_ saws will adjust the table to the trunnions, not vice versa...

--

Thank you, Semantics Nazi.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/06/2017 4:01 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/6/17 3:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/06/2017 11:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

... or your table saw needs trued up. The blade
trunnions need adjusted so the blade is be perfectly parallel to the
miter slots. ...

_Most_ saws will adjust the table to the trunnions, not vice versa...

--

Thank you, Semantics Nazi.

You're welcome...

In general the trunnions are the "immovable object". There are some
that _are_ vice versa, just not the most common so if OP were going to
do something figure it's the better bet...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/17 3:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/06/2017 11:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

... or your table saw needs trued up. The blade
trunnions need adjusted so the blade is be perfectly parallel to the
miter slots. ...

_Most_ saws will adjust the table to the trunnions, not vice versa...

--

Thank you, Semantics Nazi.

You're welcome...

In general the trunnions are the "immovable object". There are some
that _are_ vice versa, just not the most common so if OP were going to
do something figure it's the better bet...

--

Yeah, I wasn't really thanking you.
But thanks for nothing. Typical usenet bull****.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/6/17 3:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/06/2017 11:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

... or your table saw needs trued up. The blade
trunnions need adjusted so the blade is be perfectly parallel to the
miter slots. ...

_Most_ saws will adjust the table to the trunnions, not vice versa...

--

Thank you, Semantics Nazi.

You're welcome...

In general the trunnions are the "immovable object". There are some
that _are_ vice versa, just not the most common so if OP were going to
do something figure it's the better bet...

--

Kinda hard to say there which is most common for adjustment.

IIRC contractor saws mount the trunion to the table and you loosen the
trunion and move the top.

Cabinet saws tend to have the trunion mounted to the cabinet and the top
is mounted to the cabinet.

Just saying. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 00:32:07 -0700, Bob Penoyer
wrote:

I'm making a cabinet with shelves made of plywood. Some of the edges
of the shelves were burned while being cut on the table saw.

The front edge of each shelf will be banded using solid wood. The
sides of the shelves will be held in shallow dados and glued to the
plywood sides.

I'm concerned that the burning might have affected the porosity of the
wood and, so, might affect gluing. I don't want to sand the edges of
the shelves since they're the correct dimension now. Will, say,
Titebond II hold the pieces together securely?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I lightly sanded the problem edges
and completed the gluing.

I think the burning happened due to accumulated resin and debris on
the saw blade.