Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Robert

On 6/14/2017 9:45 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:

I'd like to find anyone that makes a nice tape for cabinet makers?
Lots of decent short tapes (12' or less) but they ALL have the first
foot or so marked in 32's which is stupid.

That's a harsh value judgement, indeed. One might consider that
if one were to use every other mark on such measuring devices, one
could easily get precision to 1/16th of an inch.

Not near harsh enough. After using tapes for 60 years and never ever
once needing 1/32 markings I have zero need for having the marks gum up
the first foot or so of the tape. When I was young, my eyes had trouble
with those useless markings. Now that I'm old, they are really annoying.
I would need a magnifying glass to use every other mark as you suggest.

One thing for sure, I don't need you making harsh value judgements for me...
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:

I'd like to find anyone that makes a nice tape for cabinet
makers? Lots of decent short tapes (12' or less) but they ALL
have the first foot or so marked in 32's which is stupid.

That's a harsh value judgement, indeed. One might consider that
if one were to use every other mark on such measuring devices, one
could easily get precision to 1/16th of an inch.

Not near harsh enough. After using tapes for 60 years and never ever
once needing 1/32 markings I have zero need for having the marks gum
up the first foot or so of the tape. When I was young, my eyes had
trouble with those useless markings. Now that I'm old, they are
really annoying. I would need a magnifying glass to use every other

One thing for sure, I don't need you making harsh value judgements
for me...

My eyes are getting to the point where it is very annoying, as well.

But there are other reasons those marks are pretty pointless on a
standard tape measure.
1. If you're doing work requiring that kind of precision (real
precision, not "Hey, I got lucky!" precision), then you need to be using
a rule with a stop, not a tape.

2. You can put a tick mark perfectly in the center of two 16th lines on
a tape just as easily as you can on a 32nd line.

3. There's at least a 32" of slop in the hook of the average tape
measure anyway. The hooks get bent in and out or twisted. The slots
get sloppy and don't always catch at the same place. If you are
measuring a decent distance and aren't perfectly perpendicular to the
edge, you add distance, or you end up on the bent side of the hook.
etc, etc, etc.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Ping Robert & Bill (Nailshootter & SonomaProducts) Sonny Woodworking 10 August 17th 15 02:32 PM
Ping: Robert Macy Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 0 August 20th 14 07:02 PM
PING: Robert Dee steamer Metalworking 10 September 22nd 09 01:04 AM
Ping Robert (nailshooter) BillinDetroit Woodworking 20 July 24th 07 12:15 AM
PING Robert re spray gun Tom Nie Woodturning 2 September 21st 06 03:14 PM