Posted to rec.woodworking

Default knife scales

knife handle pieces are called knife scales

anyone out there made knife handles

two schools of thought on it

one gets the scale very close to the final size of the handle part of
the knife blank then affix via epoxy
the contour is also done

the other just does a rough approximation with litte to no work on the
scales

for both cases one side is affixed and then hole are drilled as needed
then the second scale is affixed

seems to me the best approach is to get the scale as close as possible
to the final shape and size then affix to the knife blank

there does not seem to be any advantage to me for attaching the scales
in rough form

maybe there is some good reason but it is not clear

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 May 2017 06:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I've made a couple of the kits sold by Rockler. I chose not to use
epoxy. I planed the material to desired thickness than traced the

i will use epoxy and screws
the epoxy is good for waterproofing

knife outline on the wood. I also transferred the location of the
screw holes. Counter bored the screw holes and then trimmed the

what kind of screws does the kit have

shape to almost final. Assembled the skins on the knife and "final"
sanded the edges to my liking, careful to not scuff the steel. I
can't remember if I removed the skins to apply either Bush oil or
BLO. It only matters if you want oil on the bf the skin.

yes i think getting the shape close to final is the way to go

i did watch some videos and the knife making subculture likes to
use the thin and long variety of belt sander to remove material
very quickly and then buff metal as needed

BTW, the blade in these kits comes reasonably sharp (i.e., hard to
get the blood off the skin). :-)

wrapped my blank blade with two layers of masking tape as i saw in
the videos

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I've made a couple of the kits sold by Rockler. I chose not to use
epoxy. I planed the material to desired thickness than traced the

i will use epoxy and screws
the epoxy is good for waterproofing

Not sure why you need to waterproof, but OK.

knife outline on the wood. I also transferred the location of the
screw holes. Counter bored the screw holes and then trimmed the

what kind of screws does the kit have

The kit had tiny socket head (internal hex) cap screws. The kit also supplied a hex key for tightening. Oh yeah, now I remember. Don't pay attention to the drill sizes in the instructions. Just measure the screws and select the sizes yourself.

shape to almost final. Assembled the skins on the knife and "final"
sanded the edges to my liking, careful to not scuff the steel. I
can't remember if I removed the skins to apply either Bush oil or
BLO. It only matters if you want oil on the bf the skin.

yes i think getting the shape close to final is the way to go

i did watch some videos and the knife making subculture likes to
use the thin and long variety of belt sander to remove material
very quickly and then buff metal as needed

I never watched any videos. I think the belt sander your describing can be had at HF for $19.95 less 20%. Good reports on its performance.

BTW, the blade in these kits comes reasonably sharp (i.e., hard to
get the blood off the skin). :-)

wrapped my blank blade with two layers of masking tape as i saw in
the videos

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 May 2017 19:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

Not sure why you need to waterproof, but OK.

cross purpose knife and had longevity in mind

perhaps it lasts long enough to get handed down

The kit had tiny socket head (internal hex) cap screws. The kit also
supplied a hex key for tightening. Oh yeah, now I remember. Don't
pay attention to the drill sizes in the instructions. Just measure
the screws and select the sizes yourself.

funny you mention that i did end up doing that

found the right bits in my assortment

got some slot screw head type that are meant to be ground off flush
once secured

I never watched any videos. I think the belt sander your describing

well some of the videos are inspiring some are tiring some are funny
lots to learn from success and failure

some are honest and forward enough to show their mistakes and others
of course edit those out

can be had at HF for $19.95 less 20%. Good reports on its
performance.

will have to look at hf
in the videos i saw a couple that had 48 inch belts

seems to be a lot of pride in their belt sanders

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I never watched any videos. I think the belt sander your describing
can be had at HF for $19.95 less 20%. Good reports on its
performance.

finally got around to looking at hf
i see a 1 x 30 belt sander but not 20 bucks

which one do you mean