Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Just imagine... a BUILDING, made of WOOD!!

"wait... whaaat, Steve? Are you dense?"

Well yes I am, but seriously, this came over my LinkedIn feed today, and is pretty cool. Newly-developed, major commercial in Minneapolis. 7 stories, 238,000 Sq. Ft. Thought I'd share.

(..and lets just all agree to not talk about the fire insurance rates for this thing... ok?)

Regardless, still cool. If anyone's out there in/around the Twin Cities, I'd be interested in your take.

"The foundation, core, and ground floor are concrete, but the rest of the seven-story structure is timber, making it the largest timber building in North America. Columns and beams are glue-laminated European spruce, while the floor slabs€”which also serve as ceilings for the floors below€”are nail-laminated in a spruce-pine-fir mix. Much of the pine comes from trees that were downed by the mountain pine beetle."

https://www.aia-mn.org/t3-building/

http://www.t3northloop.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-4, Steve wrote:
[...]

I know what a foundation and a ground floor is, but what do you think they mean by "core"?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-4, Steve wrote:
"The foundation, core, and ground floor are concrete, but the rest of
the seven-story structure is timber, making it the largest timber
building in North America.

I know what a foundation and a ground floor is, but what do you think
they mean by "core"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_(architecture)

The "core" will have the staircases, elevators, and other services
(wiring and plumbing) for each floor. Another way to think of it is the
core is the common part of a building not rented to tennants.

Elijah
------
betting fire code required concrete stairwells
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2017 4:44 PM, Steve wrote:
[...]

This was to be a large wooden complex with core elevators and stairs.

http://abc11.com/news/monstrous-fire...leigh/1804792/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 May 2017 13:44:42 -0700 (PDT), Steve
wrote:

[...]

"Amenitized"? Really?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 6:37:09 PM UTC-4, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-4, Steve wrote:
"The foundation, core, and ground floor are concrete, but the rest of
the seven-story structure is timber, making it the largest timber
building in North America.

I know what a foundation and a ground floor is, but what do you think
they mean by "core"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_(architecture)

The "core" will have the staircases, elevators, and other services
(wiring and plumbing) for each floor. Another way to think of it is the
core is the common part of a building not rented to tennants.

Elijah
------
betting fire code required concrete stairwells

With a foundation, first floor slab and 7 story core made of concrete, is it proper to
call it a "timber building"? Does it really deserve to be called the largest timber building
in NA if such major parts of the building are concrete?

I'm sure it's a cool building, but...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2017 8:46 PM, knuttle wrote:

This was to be a large wooden complex with core elevators and stairs.

http://abc11.com/news/monstrous-fire...leigh/1804792/

May be OK when finished and sheetrocked but right now it is just like a
big stack of pallets. Easy to burn.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:08:29 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

With a foundation, first floor slab and 7 story core made of concrete, is it proper to
call it a "timber building"? Does it really deserve to be called the largest timber building
in NA if such major parts of the building are concrete?

I'm sure it's a cool building, but...

that's absolutely a fair question, let's have at it:

If I place concrete on site, whether foundation or slab, drop a sillplate on it and start framing vertically with SPF, we still call it a wood house, don't we?

A core is not a genuine structural element-- it HAS Structural elements, and the timber is certainly tied into it, but it's not treated as a structural element. The point of a core is to contain MEP systems, move people, etc, not to 'hold up the building.'

I'd say it's a timber building.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve writes:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 10:08:29 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

=20
With a foundation, first floor slab and 7 story core made of concrete, is=

it proper to=20
call it a "timber building"? Does it really deserve to be called the larg=

est timber building
in NA if such major parts of the building are concrete?
=20
I'm sure it's a cool building, but...

that's absolutely a fair question, let's have at it: =20

If I place concrete on site, whether foundation or slab, drop a sillplate=
on it and start framing vertically with SPF, we still call it a wood hous=
e, don't we?=20

A core is not a genuine structural element-- it HAS Structural elements, an=
d the timber is certainly tied into it, but it's not treated as a structura=
l element. The point of a core is to contain MEP systems, move people, etc,=
not to 'hold up the building.' =20

In most tall buildings, the core is specifically to "hold up the building".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 10:28:37 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Steve
[...]

OK, that's contrary to my understanding, so thanks--- How does it do so?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why? Seven stories is pretty tall. Maybe not skyscraper material, but fairly tall for a building. Since the early 1900s builders have been making these buildings using welded or riveted together steel beams. I'm pretty sure they have gotten this figured out and know how to make the best building.. Why intentionally choose to use a method that is less strong, more costly, more time consuming. If a house builder said he hand nailed ever stud, joist, rafter, sheathing, siding and never ever used a pneumatic nailer, would you say that is good? I wouldn't. I think glue covered nails shot in with air makes a stronger, better, faster house in general. Or a blacksmith (if there are any left) using his muscles and a hammer to forge, pound a piece of metal instead of a pneumatic or hydraulic hammer, press. I'd bet the modern pneumatic, hydraulic press/hammer is better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve writes:
[...]

I had recalled reading that somewhere, but after doing some research,
it appears that the exterior diagonalized tube is is the structural
system in most common use for tall buildings.

What I had earlier read was that some buildings have a concrete
structural core, and the floors are cantilevered from the core.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I had recalled reading that somewhere, but after doing some research,
it appears that the exterior diagonalized tube is is the structural
system in most common use for tall buildings.

What I had earlier read was that some buildings have a concrete
structural core, and the floors are cantilevered from the core.

Thumbs up! I appreciated your reply and I was quite curious myself. I had a little time last night, I did some research and found that Mid-rises may or may not have a core, and that in some instances, the cores ARE structural components, and others not, just like you noted.

All buildings are unique, that's for sure. Thanks for the follow up!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 1:33:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Dunno, Russell, it's a good question and you're probably right. But from a Commercial Real Estate point of view, Developers, Managers and Owners are always looking for a way to create a unique product-- something that sets them apart from everyone else.

From an Engineering point of view, it's good to be the one to figure out how to rival the ability you described, but with more traditional methods.

From an architectural point of view, it's all of the above, compounded exponentially. (Enter your favorite Contractor, Engineer & Architect joke here..)

At the end of the day, my own questions are those like this--

What is this building's marketing appeal?
Does the wood envelope matter to people, or is it "just" the location or "any new building whatsoever" that matters to the tenants?
Can I lease it for similar (or more) money and keep the same vacancy rate as the other buildings in the area?
Does the public like it? Are they willing to spend equal or more to have their office here?
What is the CapEx on a building like this? Can we use wood and still retain lower levels & cost of maintenance?
(etc.)
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/08/2017 1:24 PM, Steve wrote:

What is this building's marketing appeal?

€œTheres sort of a sea change in demand for office space that came
about because of these new technology-driven companies, with young
leadership and a new set of values,€ says Steve Cavanaugh, AIA,
principal with DLR Group, the architect of record for T3. €œOne of
those values clearly is sustainability. And another seems to be a
desire for authenticity."

It's all about the new millennials it seems..."feeling good" is more
important than "making sense".

That said, I'm all about conservation of old timber, but to cover it up
as they've done in most of this pretty-much defeats the purpose imo.
The exterior is all in weathering steel which would be pretty much
mandatory for maintenance but there's no wood to be seen.

The video is just drawings, no actual footage of finished building so
can't really tell just how much visual impact there is, but _most_ of
what it shows is just conventional finishings albeit there may be some
ceiling beams and columns exposed. But, there surely is nothing in the
presentation material that gives you a "wow! factor just looking.

Personally, I'd much rather see the reclaimed wood be used where it
really has a much larger effect than it appears to there aesthetically.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 May 2017 10:54:54 -0700 (PDT), Steve
wrote:

I had recalled reading that somewhere, but after doing some research,
it appears that the exterior diagonalized tube is is the structural
system in most common use for tall buildings.

What I had earlier read was that some buildings have a concrete
structural core, and the floors are cantilevered from the core.

Thumbs up! I appreciated your reply and I was quite curious myself. I had a little time last night, I did some research and found that Mid-rises may or may not have a core, and that in some instances, the cores ARE structural components, and others not, just like you noted.

Yes, often the core supports the building's static load and the
bracing at the edges keeps it all "rigid". There was one building
where I used to live where they put up piers (every 20'?) to support
the building, poured each floor jacked them into position one at a
time - top floor first (obviously). The floor slabs were hanging from
the piers and everything else was just partitions.

Tall buildings are designed to flex, some more than others. SF codes,
thus designs, are way different than NY codes.

All buildings are unique, that's for sure. Thanks for the follow up!

That's why we have architects and civil engineers. ;-)

Remember, any old fool can build a building or bridge that'll stand
up. It takes an engineer to design one that barely stands. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 May 2017 13:44:21 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 05/08/2017 1:24 PM, Steve wrote:

What is this building's marketing appeal?

“There’s sort of a sea change in demand for office space that came
about because of these new technology-driven companies, with young
leadership and a new set of values,” says Steve Cavanaugh, AIA,
principal with DLR Group, the architect of record for T3. “One of
those values clearly is sustainability. And another seems to be a
desire for authenticity."

It's all about the new millennials it seems..."feeling good" is more
important than "making sense".

That's always been the case. If it weren't we'd still live in caves
and there is certainly nothing wrong with feeling good. Function
isn't everything. Form counts too.

That said, I'm all about conservation of old timber, but to cover it up
as they've done in most of this pretty-much defeats the purpose imo.
The exterior is all in weathering steel which would be pretty much
mandatory for maintenance but there's no wood to be seen.

The video is just drawings, no actual footage of finished building so
can't really tell just how much visual impact there is, but _most_ of
what it shows is just conventional finishings albeit there may be some
ceiling beams and columns exposed. But, there surely is nothing in the
presentation material that gives you a "wow! factor just looking.

Personally, I'd much rather see the reclaimed wood be used where it
really has a much larger effect than it appears to there aesthetically.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

[...]

There's a slideshow at
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...ak-peek-hines-
finishes-wooden-t3-office.html#g1

I don't know where you're getting "reclaimed wood" though, there's no
suggestion I can find that anything about it is "reclaimed".

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/09/2017 5:29 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I don't know where you're getting "reclaimed wood" though, there's no
suggestion I can find that anything about it is "reclaimed".

OK, not best choice of wording, maybe; the article says much was from
pine beetle-killed stands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, wrote:
Tall buildings are designed to flex, some more than others. SF codes,
thus designs, are way different than NY codes.

Remember, any old fool can build a building or bridge that'll stand
up. It takes an engineer to design one that barely stands. ;-)

Yeah, there's that. Then there's the fool that creates a design that can
stand, but won't stay put. Today's news:

Joe Montana sues San Francisco sinking high-rise developer
http://www.ktvu.com/news/253442519-story

General background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millen...(San_Francisco)

Elijah
------
the Millennium company has big buildings all over the world

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 May 2017 19:50:31 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

In rec.woodworking, wrote:
Tall buildings are designed to flex, some more than others. SF codes,
thus designs, are way different than NY codes.

Remember, any old fool can build a building or bridge that'll stand
up. It takes an engineer to design one that barely stands. ;-)

Yeah, there's that. Then there's the fool that creates a design that can
stand, but won't stay put. Today's news:

Joe Montana sues San Francisco sinking high-rise developer
http://www.ktvu.com/news/253442519-story

General background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millen...(San_Francisco)

Elijah
------
the Millennium company has big buildings all over the world

Yeah, I've read some about that over the last couple of years. Seems
there was more than some engineering f-ups in that one. A good bit of
fraud, it seems, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote in
:

Well yes I am, but seriously, this came over my LinkedIn feed today,
and is pretty cool. Newly-developed, major commercial in Minneapolis.
7 stories, 238,000 Sq. Ft. Thought I'd share.

"The foundation, core, and ground floor are concrete, but the rest of
the seven-story structure is timber, making it the largest timber
building in North America."

Good marketting PR speak, but factually untrue. The largest
timber building in NA would be one of the blimp hangers the
Navy built in WW2, of which half a dozen still exist. They
are about 10 times as large as this new building.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

Well yes I am, but seriously, this came over my LinkedIn feed today,
and is pretty cool. Newly-developed, major commercial in Minneapolis.
7 stories, 238,000 Sq. Ft. Thought I'd share.

"The foundation, core, and ground floor are concrete, but the rest of
the seven-story structure is timber, making it the largest timber
building in North America."

Good marketting PR speak, but factually untrue. The largest
timber building in NA would be one of the blimp hangers the
Navy built in WW2, of which half a dozen still exist. They
are about 10 times as large as this new building.

The hanger for the USS Macon (1933 Moffett Field) has a steel structure, which
is currently quite obvious when one drives by, since the outer
skin has been removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangar..._California%29

The Goodyear Airdock (1929) is also steel structure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Airdock

Lakehurst #1 (1921) is also steel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakehurst_Hangar_No._1

Can you name a specific airship hanger built from wood?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

My family and I had the pleasure of taking off from and landing in the field next to the
Goodyear Airlock. Guess what we were flying in?

The Goodyear Blimp!

It was one of the coolest things I've ever done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 May 2017 15:39:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

We lived in the Akron area for a year. Goodyear Blimps flew around
the area all the time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangar...8Mountain_View,
_California%
29

The Goodyear Airdock (1929) is also steel structure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Airdock

Lakehurst #1 (1921) is also steel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakehurst_Hangar_No._1

Can you name a specific airship hanger built from wood?

For openers, look up Lakehurst 5 and 6.

Moffett Field 2 & 3 and Tillamook NAS would be two others
that come immediately to mind.

Basically when the Navy was experimenting with Zepplins
in the 20's and 30's (including USS Macon) the hangers
were built of steel. When they developed the blimp
program for submarine spotting in WW2, the additional
hangers were built of wood, due to wartime demand for
steel for other uses.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

Didja every get a free ride? :-)

One cool part is to feel them power up to land. Obviously, they have to force them to go down.

(As a kid I used to see them over NYC all the time. Never imagined that I'd ever get to go up
in one)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

Houston used to have a Goodyear Blimp hanger for many years, it was not
unusual to see the blimp floating around the city.

And that reminds me of the blimp back in the early 70's in Corpus
Christi. I was in high school and played golf. I was on a newly opened
course that happened to be built on the "old airport" grounds. So no
sizeable trees yet. The blimp was being tethered there for some
promotion. Anyway while we were playing the blimp was coming in to be
tethered and I recall the front rope/line/what ever you call it, almost
dragging across the green.
It looked like the mother ship was going to squash us. It made a
certain part of you body pucker. ;~0

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Houston used to have a Goodyear Blimp hanger for many years, it was
not unusual to see the blimp floating around the city.

The Pompano blimp base isn't far from me, and they
used to come over my house all the time - in the
winter they'd do training flights over the Everglades
just to the west. They haven't done that so much
in recent years, for some reason.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal
wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

Your worlds are colliding, now, DerbyDad. The Soap Box Derby in Akron
is held just across the field from the Goodyear Blimp hangar. You can
go on google maps and see how close they are.

The hangar was a popular field trip destination for school kids in the
Akron area. I still remember visiting it when I was very young. At the
time, it was the largest self-supported structure in the world. It was
so big and high inside that it would actually rain inside the hangar.
The rain was really condensation on the roof that would drip down, but
that's kinda what rain is.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

Not even a paid one. :-(

One cool part is to feel them power up to land. Obviously, they have to force them to go down.

(As a kid I used to see them over NYC all the time. Never imagined that I'd ever get to go up
in one)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal
wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

The Goodyear blimp hangar isn't in Akron. It's in Mogadore, OH, about
20-30 miles East of Akron. It's at the Wingfoot country club. ;-)
The old blimp hangar is now owned by Lockheed Martin (where I worked
when I was in Akron). they were doing some work on RADAR blimps for
the DD and Homeland there but I can't remember if they were actually
using the old blimp hangar.

The hangar was a popular field trip destination for school kids in the
Akron area. I still remember visiting it when I was very young. At the
time, it was the largest self-supported structure in the world. It was
so big and high inside that it would actually rain inside the hangar.
The rain was really condensation on the roof that would drip down, but
that's kinda what rain is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal
wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

The old one is the the f'n one I'm talking about.
Geez. You just love to argue about meaningless bull****.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal
wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

Geez, sensitive much? Just the facts ma'am.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/17 9:58 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 19:21:09 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott
Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

No it's not the facts, it's just you arguing for the sake of arguing.
You do it all the time. You get some joy in arguing pedantic, semantic
bull****.
There are many times when you're helpful but most of the time you're
nitpicking irrelevant crap like you did with my post.

That was the hangar I was talking about but you felt the need to be a
know-it-all and butt in for some reason with irrelevant information that
didn't change a thing I wrote.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 22:04:33 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/19/17 9:58 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 19:21:09 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott
Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah, a sensitive old git. Stop taking everything so seriously!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal
wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

Actually, it wasn't a collision, it was a direct connection.

Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, Goodyear was a corporate sponsor of the Soap Box
Derby. The blimp always made an appearance at the World Championships at Derby Downs
in Akron. One of the perks of winning the World Championship in one of the 3 divisions was
a ride in the blimp. The race is always held on a Saturday in July and the blimp ride is usually
taken the next day while the champion, their family and of course, the blimp, is in town.

In 2003 my son won the World Championship in the Masters (top) division and we were planning
on taking our ride the next day. Early on Sunday morning we got a phone call that it was too
windy for the blimp to fly. We were told to expect a letter from Goodyear which basically
amounted to a lifetime pass worth 1 free blimp ride for my son and (maybe) some guests.
In essence, the letter said that at anytime that my son and the blimp were in the same area,
and there was room and there was time and etc. etc., my son would be able to take his free ride.
It was essentially a lifetime hit or miss, maybe it'll happen someday kind of thing.

Fast forward to 2004. My daughter wins the local race in our city, which qualifies her for the
World Championship race in Akron. We go to Akron where she is unfortunately eliminated
early in the day. That's when I notice a Goodyear table in the vendor section near the track.
I round up the family and with the letter from Goodyear in my hand, I go over to speak to
them. An hour later we are all in a van heading out onto the field near the old blimp hanger
watching the blimp land to pick up us!

Now, keep in mind that the blimp ride is usually given on the Sunday after the race, when
the crowds have gone home and the only activity at Derby Downs is a bunch of families
*during* the World Championships when the place is packed with hundreds or racers,
thousands of family members, etc. In addition, since this was a spur of the moment thing,
it ended up being a private flight with my entire family of 6 being able to go. Sweet!

I can just about guarantee that we are the only Champion's family that got to watch the
World Championship race from the blimp. It was an unforgettable opportunity. Truly a
once in a lifetime experience for most families.

The hangar was a popular field trip destination for school kids in the
Akron area. I still remember visiting it when I was very young. At the
time, it was the largest self-supported structure in the world. It was
so big and high inside that it would actually rain inside the hangar.
The rain was really condensation on the roof that would drip down, but
that's kinda what rain is.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott
Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

at Derby Downs is a bunch of families loading their kid's cars into
trailers for the trip home. In our case, we're getting our ride
*during* the World Championships when the place is packed with
hundreds or racers, thousands of family members, etc. In addition,
since this was a spur of the moment thing, it ended up being a
private flight with my entire family of 6 being able to go. Sweet!

I can just about guarantee that we are the only Champion's family
that got to watch the World Championship race from the blimp. It was
an unforgettable opportunity. Truly a once in a lifetime experience
for most families.

Wow, what a great story! I bet you'll never forget that view of the
races.
I'm sure the hill looks quite a bit different from up there than on the
ground.

Goodyear, Firestone and other tire companies were pretty much Akron's
bread and butter for many decades. My Dad worked at Goodyear and anyone
who lived near or in Akron had at least someone in the family working in
a tire plant.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott
Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

[...]

The funniest part of the ride involved SWMBO. She is seriously afraid of heights and
therefore of flying. She has to be medicated before she can get on a plane. It took a while
to convince her to go on the blimp ride with us, but eventually her motherly instincts took over
and she knew that she needed to be part of this great family experience.

The gondola of the blimp we were in was set up almost like a mini-van, with 2 rows of single
seats and a bench seat in the back. The pilot sat in the front seat, just like a US mini-van driver
would. SWMBO was sitting in the middle row, passenger side. At one point, as this huge
beast was slowly floating through the air, the pilot casually turned around, hooked an arm
over the back of his seat and started chatting with us. SWMBO got visibly (and audibly)
upset. "What are you doing?" she nervously asked the pilot. "Why aren't you looking where
we are going? Shouldn't you be flying this thing?"

We all cracked up. The pilot pointed out of the front window at the wide open sky in front
of us, shrugged his shoulders and asked SWMBO "What do you think I'm going to hit?"
It was classic.

He got serious after that and explained that wherever the blimp is flying, it has the right of way
over all other aircraft. There isn't too much evasive action a blimp can take, so it's up to all
other pilots in the area to take action if needed.