Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tommy Mac - rough exit from 'Rough Cut'?

"Believe it or not ..I will no longer be working on rough cut ..."
"I quit"
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.j.macdonald/
He appears bitter about it. He's was pretty terse with some folks who
asked why; something to the effect of, "I don't owe you an explanation."
He must have close to $100K in new Mini Max/SCM tools in the lower
level of that new shop. SCM was also listed as a sponsor at the end
of the show...Spalted Walt

So yesterday my Facebook popped up with a live stream of him working
on his current desk project. Nice maple writing desk. I asked a couple
questions, one or two the same as several others, and kinda got blown
off. When he responded, it was, "I don't friggin' know".

A different side to him when not in front of a real camera. His feed
had about 119 viewers at one point, which dropped after he said to
quit breaking his balls. One comment posted was about keeping his
greasy fingers (he was stuffing his face with Doritos) off the bare
wood desk. TMac shot back, "sometimes you need to grease your wood if
you know what I mean, right?" with a sly grin.

From that comment, and several others, including that he does
woodworking because people suck, had me wondering why he was even
bothering with a live feed. I appreciate his work and him share his
knowledge, but after comments, people were dropping off. After the
grease comment, he lost about a third of his viewers.

I'm no prude and my ears have heard plenty, but it made me wonder if
that is a reflection of his attitude with Rough Cut and leaving.

Anyways, just sharing what I saw and heard. Make of it what you will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

From that comment, and several others, including that he does
woodworking because people suck, had me wondering why he was even
bothering with a live feed. I appreciate his work and him share his
knowledge, but after comments, people were dropping off. After the
grease comment, he lost about a third of his viewers.

I'm no prude and my ears have heard plenty, but it made me wonder if
that is a reflection of his attitude with Rough Cut and leaving.

Anyways, just sharing what I saw and heard. Make of it what you will.

Maybe he is just a little ****ed about the "change in life direction"
that was forced on him. Cut him a little slack. Maybe it's partly a
"joisey" thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill was heard to mutter:
Maybe he is just a little ****ed about the "change in life direction"
that was forced on him. Cut him a little slack. Maybe it's partly a
"joisey" thing.

From posts here and FB, he's keeping his reason to himself, which is
his right. ****ed? I guess. He said he quit, so ****ed about what?

Slack? I don't care how he talks. Just saying he'll lose viewers. Even
guys doing YouTube avoid it so kids don't overhear or lose viewers.

"Joisey"? Elaborate. TMac is from Mass.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

So yesterday my Facebook popped up with a live stream of him working
on his current desk project. Nice maple writing desk. I asked a couple
questions, one or two the same as several others, and kinda got blown
off. When he responded, it was, "I don't friggin' know".

So I just watched the video you're commenting on:
'Desk 30: Fitting lid'
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.j.ma...6611712477096/

at 7:27 "How much weight can the hinges and door support?"
TMac responded with "I don't friggin' know".
An honest and totally appropriate answer given in the context of a
live Q&A.

A different side to him when not in front of a real camera. His feed
had about 119 viewers at one point, which dropped after he said to
quit breaking his balls. One comment posted was about keeping his
greasy fingers (he was stuffing his face with Doritos) off the bare
wood desk. TMac shot back, "sometimes you need to grease your wood if
you know what I mean, right?" with a sly grin.

Lighten up, Casper. After watching it, it was kinda funny.

From that comment, and several others, including that he does
woodworking because people suck, had me wondering why he was even
bothering with a live feed. I appreciate his work and him share his
knowledge, but after comments, people were dropping off. After the
grease comment, he lost about a third of his viewers.

What you failed to mention is that occured at the end of the braodcast.
Of course people were "dropping off".

TMac is a '****ah'! I never cared much for 'Rough Cut'. I like the
brash, keeping it real, in your face Tommy Mac much better.
Unforunatly for him, that 'realness' isn't conducive to a PBS TV career.

I'm no prude and my ears have heard plenty, but it made me wonder if
that is a reflection of his attitude with Rough Cut and leaving.

Anyways, just sharing what I saw and heard. Make of it what you will.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

Bill was heard to mutter:
Maybe he is just a little ****ed about the "change in life direction"
that was forced on him. Cut him a little slack. Maybe it's partly a
"joisey" thing.

From posts here and FB, he's keeping his reason to himself, which is
his right. ****ed? I guess. He said he quit, so ****ed about what?

He's apparently under a 1 year gag order:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/thomas.j...=page_internal

"Tommy Mac (replying to) Denny... I left u hanging .. u said I
was unfair to you .. All i did was lose a job and be forced
to eat **** and be under a gag order for a year ... I don't
owe you . anything ....
Watch ..don't watch ..."
April 21 at 5:37am

Slack? I don't care how he talks. Just saying he'll lose viewers. Even
guys doing YouTube avoid it so kids don't overhear or lose viewers.

"Joisey"? Elaborate. TMac is from Mass.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/23/2017 11:41 AM, Casper wrote:
Bill was heard to mutter:
Maybe he is just a little ****ed about the "change in life direction"
that was forced on him. Cut him a little slack. Maybe it's partly a
"joisey" thing.

From posts here and FB, he's keeping his reason to himself, which is
his right. ****ed? I guess. He said he quit, so ****ed about what?

Slack? I don't care how he talks. Just saying he'll lose viewers. Even
guys doing YouTube avoid it so kids don't overhear or lose viewers.

"Joisey"? Elaborate. TMac is from Mass.

He may also be losing chances for the future too, if he is interested in
a new venture. Image in important.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
Bill was heard to mutter:
Maybe he is just a little ****ed about the "change in life direction"
that was forced on him. Cut him a little slack. Maybe it's partly a
"joisey" thing.

From posts here and FB, he's keeping his reason to himself, which is
his right. ****ed? I guess. He said he quit, so ****ed about what?

Slack? I don't care how he talks. Just saying he'll lose viewers. Even
guys doing YouTube avoid it so kids don't overhear or lose viewers.

"Joisey"? Elaborate. TMac is from Mass.

Casper,

I'm not a relative or his agent and I don't care which state he is from
I offered him a few words of advice when I met him at one of the
woodworking shows. To be kind in this context would be to mind your own
business. That's what I'm doing. You want to argue; please go find
someone else.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt was heard to mutter:
He's apparently under a 1 year gag order:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/thomas.j...=page_internal

"Tommy Mac (replying to) Denny... I left u hanging .. u said I
was unfair to you .. All i did was lose a job and be forced
to eat **** and be under a gag order for a year ... I don't
owe you . anything ....
Watch ..don't watch ..."
April 21 at 5:37am

I figured he was sentanced to silence by his lack of words.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:
He may also be losing chances for the future too, if he is interested in
a new venture. Image in important.

That was my simple and only point.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt was heard to mutter:

at 7:27 "How much weight can the hinges and door support?"
TMac responded with "I don't friggin' know".
An honest and totally appropriate answer given in the context of a
live Q&A.

Saying I don't know was not the point. It was the expletive.

Lighten up, Casper. After watching it, it was kinda funny.

Lighten up? Defensive much? I didn't say anything negative.

What you failed to mention is that occured at the end of the braodcast.
Of course people were "dropping off".

Not just at the end. But I was surprised he didn't have more FB
viewers given how popular his RC show seemed to be.

TMac is a '****ah'! I never cared much for 'Rough Cut'. I like the
brash, keeping it real, in your face Tommy Mac much better.

Good for you. It's a free world.

Unforunatly for him, that 'realness' isn't conducive to a PBS TV career.

Exactly my point. My only point.

Anyways, just sharing what I saw and heard. Make of it what you will.

Yet again... make of it what YOU will.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper,
I'm not a relative or his agent and I don't care which state he is from
I offered him a few words of advice when I met him at one of the
woodworking shows. To be kind in this context would be to mind your own
business. That's what I'm doing. You want to argue; please go find
someone else.
Bill

To the comment 'which state he is from' [sic], who brought that up?
"Maybe it's partly a "joisey" thing. [sic] Bill"
I asked what you meant by that to which you did not respond.

I offered him a few words of advice when I met him...

I hope you enjoyed your meeting.

To be kind in this context would be to mind your own business.

You do the same? *See above on advice.

You want to argue; please go find someone else.

Who the hell is argguing? Um, you.

I didn't start this topic.

I don't give a rat's ass what TJM says or does.

Sometimes folks here get too jacked up over simple conversations.

To others here, I apologize if you are offended by my responses which
some folks obviously took out of context.

Walt ... was not my intention to rain on your conversation.

Bill ... whatever. Sorry but I'm all out of rat's asses.

JOKE: Topics not for conversation...
1. Politics
2. Religion
3. Money
4. See 1 & 2
5. TJMac (*New)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

I didn't start this topic.

I don't give a rat's ass what TJM says or does.

Sometimes folks here get too jacked up over simple conversations.

Project much?

To others here, I apologize if you are offended by my responses which
some folks obviously took out of context.

Walt ... was not my intention to rain on your conversation.

Lighten up, Casper ... it's only usenet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sometimes folks here get too jacked up over simple conversations.
Project much?

Nah.

Walt ... was not my intention to rain on your conversation.

Lighten up, Casper ... it's only usenet.

Yup.

Been a bad week. MiL got robbed while sitting in her car. Purse,
phone, money, meds, all gone. During that Gma taken to hospital.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 21:30:40 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Sometimes folks here get too jacked up over simple conversations.

Project much?

Nah.

Walt ... was not my intention to rain on your conversation.

Lighten up, Casper ... it's only usenet.

Yup.

Been a bad week. MiL got robbed while sitting in her car. Purse,
phone, money, meds, all gone. During that Gma taken to hospital.

What, you upset that they didn't take her too?
Posted to rec.woodworking

I found Tommy one afternoon on PBS and was hooked from that episode on. I loved hearing about his family, his life, how he came across like he was the guy next door just shooting the breeze. Very natural. I thought his projects were interesting, useful and just possibly doable. I didnt take shop class in school but my grandpa was a carpenter. Tommy made it make sense. Im sad things turned sour. Im not surprised at PBS. They are not nice people. The PBS reporter is always race baiting the president. Goes with the liberal media. I hope someone steps forward and gives Tommy another chance. The new guy just isnt my cup of tea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:56:40 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 7/12/2020 11:56 PM, wrote:
I found Tommy one afternoon on PBS and was hooked from that episode on. I loved hearing about his family, his life, how he came across like he was the guy next door just shooting the breeze. Very natural. I thought his projects were interesting, useful and just possibly doable. I didnt take shop class in school but my grandpa was a carpenter. Tommy made it make sense. Im sad things turned sour. Im not surprised at PBS. They are not nice people. The PBS reporter is always race baiting the president. Goes with the liberal media. I hope someone steps forward and gives Tommy another chance. The new guy just isnt my cup of tea.

New guy?? What new guy? Is Rough cut still on?
FWIW I did not care for Tommy, that's just me. On the flip side, I
liked Bob Vila. Hated the one after Bob and really like Kevin.

I have a Samsung Smart TV. It comes with some sort of "free TV" app. Actually
called "TV". A couple dozen channels of DIY, cooking, home design, etc.

1209 is the "This Old House" channel. 24 hours of TOH and ATOH. Mostly
old stuff, but all after Kevin took over. "Modern" up until just after Roger
got sick. So you have episodes with a healthy Roger, a slowing Roger with
Jenn, and sometimes just Jenn.

Unfortunately there's no DVR feature, Pause, FF, etc. In addition, they
apparently only bought a few series (maybe a dozen?) of this TOH so I think
I've seen them all already. The same goes for ATOH.

They also haven't sold too many commercials, so sometimes you get the same
commercial 2-3 times in row - during one commercial break. Other times they
show the same 2 or 3 Apprentice Diaries or time-lapse building project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2020 11:56 PM, wrote:
[...]

Me too. I'll have to look into that. I too actually use a Roku along
with Tablo. I get about 65 local channels many of which are the subsets
like 2, 2.1, 2.3, 2.4 etc. Our PBS channel 8.1 IIRC gets TOH, American
Woodshop, WoodSmith, TOH TradeSchool. Untill I went back to over the
air with the TABLO I was only getting current TOH, AND Ask TOH.

1209 is the "This Old House" channel. 24 hours of TOH and ATOH. Mostly
old stuff, but all after Kevin took over. "Modern" up until just after Roger
got sick. So you have episodes with a healthy Roger, a slowing Roger with
Jenn, and sometimes just Jenn.

Looks like Rodger is showing up more recently.

Unfortunately there's no DVR feature, Pause, FF, etc. In addition, they
apparently only bought a few series (maybe a dozen?) of this TOH so I think
I've seen them all already. The same goes for ATOH.

Tablo does have DVR and the ability to record 4 channels at once. The
DVR records to a separate 2 TB WD HD.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 9:32:28 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

....Snip...

1209 is the "This Old House" channel. 24 hours of TOH and ATOH. Mostly
old stuff, but all after Kevin took over. "Modern" up until just after Roger
got sick. So you have episodes with a healthy Roger, a slowing Roger with
Jenn, and sometimes just Jenn.

Looks like Rodger is showing up more recently.

Not sure what you've been seeing, but I haven't been watching any live TOH or
ATOH recently.

The latest I heard was that on June 7, 2020, the TOH crew announced Roger's
Retirement on the Jimmy Fallon show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhlr...youtu.be&t=175

Are you saying that he's back, barely a month later?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2020 10:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 9:32:28 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

...Snip...

1209 is the "This Old House" channel. 24 hours of TOH and ATOH. Mostly
old stuff, but all after Kevin took over. "Modern" up until just after Roger
got sick. So you have episodes with a healthy Roger, a slowing Roger with
Jenn, and sometimes just Jenn.

Looks like Rodger is showing up more recently.

Not sure what you've been seeing, but I haven't been watching any live TOH or
ATOH recently.

On TOH I have seen him more just before the new stuff a couple of months
stopped. It just seemed that he had not been on for several months.

The latest I heard was that on June 7, 2020, the TOH crew announced Roger's
Retirement on the Jimmy Fallon show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhlr...youtu.be&t=175

Wow that guy is rich! :~) So have you heard what his illness is? I
would have to guess back issues as he seemed to not be as flexible as in
the past.

Are you saying that he's back, barely a month later?

NO! I was talking about this past Spring.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 12:32:34 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 7/14/2020 10:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 9:32:28 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

...Snip...

1209 is the "This Old House" channel. 24 hours of TOH and ATOH. Mostly
old stuff, but all after Kevin took over. "Modern" up until just after Roger
got sick. So you have episodes with a healthy Roger, a slowing Roger with
Jenn, and sometimes just Jenn.

Looks like Rodger is showing up more recently.

Not sure what you've been seeing, but I haven't been watching any live TOH or
ATOH recently.

On TOH I have seen him more just before the new stuff a couple of months
stopped. It just seemed that he had not been on for several months.

The latest I heard was that on June 7, 2020, the TOH crew announced Roger's
Retirement on the Jimmy Fallon show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhlr...youtu.be&t=175

Wow that guy is rich! :~)

I learned a few years ago that money isn't all that important. I was always
always envious of one of the other guys that raced Soap Box Derby with us.
(my kids/his kids, obviously) We hung out a lot. He had a big house, lots
of land, cars, a bus he converted to a motor home, motorcycles, etc. He was
a crane operator for many years, then became a safety rep for a well-known
automotive parts manufacturer. The money was good, he was always throwing
parties and had all the cool tools and toys.

Then the driver crossed the center line while texting and hit him head-on.
Was he driving his big ole, jacked up truck? Nope, he was driving a one
of his little beater cars.

https://i.imgur.com/8RDXhy5.jpg

As they were trying to free his busted up left leg from under the crushed
dash board, he said to the paramedic (who he knew) "Wait, let me push with my
right foot and get some leverage." The paramedic said "Steve, take a look at
your right foot." That's when he realized that his right foot was pointing
backwards.

He was hospitalized/laid up for over a year and when he finally emerged he was
a shadow of his former self. No more tough guy act, no more climbing ladders
for work and projects, no more helping build the log cabin on the family land.
He has resigned himself to the fact the he'll lose the foot in a few years.

Sure, he still has his money, but he doesn't get to play with his toys quite
as much as he used to. That's when I realized that I wasted a lot of time
and brain power being envious of him. I'll never have the material possessions
that he has, but at least for now I'm healthy, active and pretty darn happy.

I feel the same way about Roger's $11MM. It probably won't help him get
healthy. He also lost his first wife to cancer some time back. I've still
got mine and I'm thankful for that.

So have you heard what his illness is? I
would have to guess back issues as he seemed to not be as flexible as in
the past.

I have been unable to find any info on his illness. The rumors range from
Parkinsons to a stroke to a heart attack.

I think it's more than just a bad back/flexibility thing. His hands are
stiff, his gait is off, but there doesn't seemed to be any indication of
pain. You can see it as he walks across the lawn in this video - and this
was uploaded 2 years ago. It's only gotten worse since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94msufYZzaQ

Are you saying that he's back, barely a month later?

NO! I was talking about this past Spring.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2020 2:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yes money is not everything and my wife and I are pretty much set. BUT
I would be willing to bet your buddy is happy he has the money rather
than not. Further, him having money had nothing to do with the
accident. It is always better to no have to worry about money, healthy
or not.