Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tommy MacDonald's new shop

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's speech pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according to people I know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.

Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do more jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a project when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of all the tools in my shop!

What do you think?

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MJ" wrote in message
While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's speech
pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according to people I
know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a series of
shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment
he's put into it.

Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style
equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those
huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do
more jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a
project when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum
of all the tools in my shop!

What do you think?

MJ

One of those huge sanders? Like there are dozens if not hundreds of videos
on YouTube of guys building their own?

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote in
:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's
speech pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according
to people I know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been
showing a series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we
got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.

Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style
equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of
those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's
going to do more jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to
relate to a project when someone is using equipment that is more
expensive then the sum of all the tools in my shop!

What do you think?

MJ

I watched the first episode of the build series, and he's got a nice
building going up. Can't say I've watched much of his other stuff, just
never got drawn in...

He did build a pair of sawhorses using just a CMS and a circular saw and
hammer. I would have bought mine, there's a stamped aluminum version out
there that is quite good, especially if you catch them on sale for less
than $10 each. (Menards has the usable cheap ones, Lowes carries a
similar version for almost twice the price.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-02-22 2:08 PM, MJ wrote:
While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's speech pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according to people I know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at the equipment he's put into it.

Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner, one of those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc. It's possible he's going to do more jobs outside of the show, but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a project when someone is using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of all the tools in my shop!

What do you think?

MJ

He built one hell of a shop, I wish the brand name of those new tools
was shown more clearly, but on the other hand, I have neither the space
or the budget for them.

--
Froz....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:08:44 -0800 (PST)
MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

A TV woodworker that appeals wimmin of all sexes...

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything.
He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything, including
his hands, workbenches, work pieces...

Probably has groupies cleaning up his messes

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote in news

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything.
He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything, including
his hands, workbenches, work pieces...

Probably has groupies cleaning up his messes

In my best Don Adams voice:
And loving it!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:49:37 -0500
Jack wrote:

A TV woodworker that appeals wimmin of all sexes...

tv woodworker says it all

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything.

haha i recall norm loving nail guns and then he would do other things
that would eat up the time he saved nailgunning

He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything,
including his hands, workbenches, work pieces...

he should try that titebond melamine glue
thicker and stays open longer

need to get some of that myself

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/17 12:08 PM, MJ wrote:
While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects,

he's speech pattern is a bit off putting but he's a friendly guy according

to people I know who have worked with him. Currently, he's been showing a

series of shows where he's built a new shop. This week, we got a peak at
the equipment he's put into it.

Wow! He's got all top of the line, or appears to have, European style

equipment. Sliding table saw that is also a planner and joiner,

one of those huge sanders (kind like what Norm had), etc.

It's possible he's going to do more jobs outside of the show,

but chee-whiz it's hard to relate to a project when someone is

using equipment that is more expensive then the sum of all the tools in
my shop!

What do you think?

MJ

His sponsor is SCM, they make/sell all sorts of European style tools
(Minimax bandsaws are one of them).

I'd bet that he doesn't really own any of them.

My question is what kind of power does he have running to his shop. That
large drum sander must be 3-phase, probably over 10HP.
-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

A TV woodworker that appeals wimmin of all sexes...

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything.
He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything, including
his hands, workbenches, work pieces...

Over the years, 30+, of woodworking I have learned to apply the right
amount of glue. I typically use just enough to see a slight bit of
squeeze out. Anything past that is a total waste.
I think a woodworker that had glue dripping everywhere is simply one
that has not learned to be efficient. Using too much glue not only
creates a mess but is a big waste of time. And like most anything else
wasted time is costly.

As far as using a nail gun, if you are doing this type work to sell
profitably, a nail gun is a big time saver. There is hardly a project
that I do that I do not use my pinner. As Norm ust'a say, to hold the
pieces until the glue dries. It is just smarter to use a pinner if it
eliminates having to use a clamp and you don't see the pin.

Probably has groupies cleaning up his messes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2017 10:00 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 2/22/17 12:08 PM, MJ wrote:
[...]

I no longer get to see his show. If he has a sander like Norm had, IIRC
the Minuiteman, I doubt he bought it also. It was even way too much for
Norm. A machine like that is way too much for occasional use, that
thing needs to be running all day long.
I have a drum sander that will handle stock 44" wide, it is nowhere near
as industrial as the ones on the shows and I probably use it more than
you see the big ones being used the shows.
I would be shocked if it were not on loan from a sponsor.

My question is what kind of power does he have running to his shop.
That large drum sander must be 3-phase, probably over 10HP. -BR

Well maybe not. The link below is for a 49" single pass sander. 7.5
hp, 31 amp, single phase.
BUT I do now know what he is using.

http://woodmasterdrumsanders.com/5075x2
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:00:57 AM UTC-6, Brewster wrote:

My question is what kind of power does he have running to his shop. That
large drum sander must be 3-phase, probably over 10HP.
-BR

I would assume or conclude he has 3 phase power direct to his shop. Not a phase convertor. We don't know if his shop is in his backyard in the suburbs or in a commercial part of town or in a Hollywood studio. But in either case, I do not believe it is illegal to have the utility company run 3 phase power direct to a building. Just requires the proper permits and money to pay for it. I think a television show would get this done. And I think a television show could easily arrange with various manufacturers (such as SCMI) to have machines on the show. Cheap advertising for them. Use it on the show for a year and then sell it used/reconditioned for 10% off. Cheap advertising. $30,000 new sliding saw sold for $27,000 after one year. SCMI pays $3,000 for advertising!
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

[...]

I have been very unimpressed with that guy, to say the least.
And I can only take about 30 seconds of that voice before I want to
throw something at the TV.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2017 5:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have been very unimpressed with that guy, to say the least.
And I can only take about 30 seconds of that voice before I want to
throw something at the TV.

Ditto on the first, a little more forgiving on the voice, but know what
you mean.

I miss DJM ... they don't come much better than that for TV fare.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 2/25/2017 5:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have been very unimpressed with that guy, to say the least.
And I can only take about 30 seconds of that voice before I want to
throw something at the TV.

Ditto on the first, a little more forgiving on the voice, but know what
you mean.

I miss DJM ... they don't come much better than that for TV fare.

+1

http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 6:11:48 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:
On 2/25/2017 5:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have been very unimpressed with that guy, to say the least.
And I can only take about 30 seconds of that voice before I want to
throw something at the TV.

Ditto on the first, a little more forgiving on the voice, but know what
you mean.

I miss DJM ... they don't come much better than that for TV fare.

I miss Norm. Yeah, I know the brad nailer and the biscuit joiner. And when he broke out the belt sander I had to turn away. But he was a regular guy with some good ideas on woodworking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/17 12:10 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/25/2017 10:00 AM, Brewster wrote:

My question is what kind of power does he have running to his shop.
That large drum sander must be 3-phase, probably over 10HP. -BR

Well maybe not. The link below is for a 49" single pass sander. 7.5
hp, 31 amp, single phase.
BUT I do now know what he is using.

http://woodmasterdrumsanders.com/5075x2

I poked around the SCM site, Their smallest planer looks like what TM
uses (not quite sure), three phase.

Can't quite pin down the sander either, but their smallest has a 5.5KW
motor (about 7hp), no mention on 1 or 3 phase.

He also has a aircraft carrier scale jointer and several racks of what
looks like Festool boxes. I'm sure Leon could be happy there 8^)

Definitely some major amperage flowing in.

No big deal with getting 3 phase service other than some $$$, but most
large machines like these tend to cross over the line to all 3 phase
motors, much more efficient (and no smoking motor capacitors).

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/26/2017 8:54 AM, Brewster wrote:

No big deal with getting 3 phase service other than some $$$, ...

Indeed, local rural co-op said would be minimum of $10-15K to run the
third line on the existing poles and transformer. It's only a
couple-hundred yards (two poles) from the road to the existing
transformer pole and two of the three phase wires are already there, of
course.

That doesn't cover anything on the other side of the transformer to make
use of it once it's available. The $800 for the rotary phase converter
looked quite reasonable in comparison...

_IF_ were 30-yr or more younger and had ideas on updating the feed mill
and other farm operations that'd look a whole lot different, of course,
but just to hook up the PM 180 and associated DC just wasn't in the
cards...but, it opens up the market for other heavy iron that's often
available pretty cheap owing at least in part to the fact that many
individuals who otherwise would be interested don't bite because they
don't have but single phase power available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

A TV woodworker that appeals wimmin of all sexes...

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything.
He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything, including
his hands, workbenches, work pieces...

Over the years, 30+, of woodworking I have learned to apply the right
amount of glue. I typically use just enough to see a slight bit of
squeeze out. Anything past that is a total waste.
I think a woodworker that had glue dripping everywhere is simply one
that has not learned to be efficient. Using too much glue not only
creates a mess but is a big waste of time. And like most anything else
wasted time is costly.

Right. The funny part is he often espouses not to use too much glue
immediately before using too much glue. I think he knows what he's
doing, unlike Scott Phillips, but I doubt he does much work, spends most
of his time at the Gym, has flunkies doing the work. Don't know if thats
true, just my take, my contribution to the fake news, so to speak..

As far as using a nail gun, if you are doing this type work to sell
profitably, a nail gun is a big time saver. There is hardly a project
that I do that I do not use my pinner. As Norm ust'a say, to hold the
pieces until the glue dries. It is just smarter to use a pinner if it
eliminates having to use a clamp and you don't see the pin.

Nail guns have their place, but rarely needed in a cabinet shop. I
built cabinets for over 35 years without a nail gun, and never missed
it. I still use it only rarely. Even for jigs, I generally would
rather use screws. Sometimes for outdoor stuff, almost never for
cabinets. I often thought it would be cool for cabinet backs, but nope,
I'd rather use regular nails or screws. Clamps are are where it's at for
cabinet work imo.

I do like the nail gun for picture frame glue ups and some trim work,
but Norm always seemed to nail every damn thing in sight, like a frame
carpenter would. Other than the nail gun crap, Norm was OK.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2017 5:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have been very unimpressed with that guy, to say the least.
And I can only take about 30 seconds of that voice before I want to
throw something at the TV.

Ditto on the first, a little more forgiving on the voice, but know what
you mean.

I miss DJM ... they don't come much better than that for TV fare.

I miss Norm. Yeah, I know the brad nailer and the biscuit joiner. And when he broke out the belt sander I had to turn away. But he was a regular guy with some good ideas on woodworking.

I agree with that. Norm was real, the rest of them, with the exception
of Marks are fake, imo. Oh, the Woodsmith Shop is ok, they have a clue
and seem to be nice guys.

The guy I like best is Tommy Silva. He's into construction carpentry but
seems to know his stuff, like Norm did.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

[...]

On furniture I use a pinner. Good for small stuff like trim and
assembling drawer pulls, not attaching.

I do like the nail gun for picture frame glue ups and some trim work,
but Norm always seemed to nail every damn thing in sight, like a frame
carpenter would. Other than the nail gun crap, Norm was OK.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

Norm is kind of a woodworkers superman. He was on This old house for quite a while but his show was called The New Yankee Workshop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 3:22:46 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2017-02-22 2:08 PM, MJ wrote:
[...]

It looks to me like he's using SCM tools. Very high dollar stuff. His table saw would have been in the $15,000 range. I like the show enough to watch it but these guys are so unrealistic it's sickening. I mean how many woodworkers can afford $150,000 for tolls after putting up a building that I'm sure cost just as much as that. I just watched a show where he used ceder to build outside doors for his wood storage, whish I agree is best but come on, the whole show is overkill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 8:54:18 AM UTC-6, Brewster wrote:

I poked around the SCM site, Their smallest planer looks like what TM
uses (not quite sure), three phase.

Can't quite pin down the sander either, but their smallest has a 5.5KW
motor (about 7hp), no mention on 1 or 3 phase.

If the sander is 7 HP, then it is 3 phase. Single phase motors are only up to 5 HP.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 11:27:42 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

I do like the nail gun for picture frame glue ups and some trim work,
but Norm always seemed to nail every damn thing in sight, like a frame
carpenter would. Other than the nail gun crap, Norm was OK.

I'm guessing Norm started life as a framing carpenter, general house builder. So air guns are a part of his history. More than glue and clamps. Guessing he was a framer during the 1960s and 1970s when air guns were the main tool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

Norm is kind of a woodworkers superman. He was on This old house for quite a while but his show was called The New Yankee Workshop.

Norm is great, except that I die a little bit inside every time he reaches for the belt sander. I don't think I ever saw him use a hand plane.
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

Norm is kind of a woodworkers superman. He was on This old house for quite a while but his show was called The New Yankee Workshop.

Norm is great, except that I die a little bit inside every time he reaches for the belt sander. I don't think I ever saw him use a hand plane.

I recall one episode when he was building a router table/storage unit. He included some
large drawers on the bottom. That's when I realized that he doesn't change router bits,
he changes routers. I was just starting to collect tools and was envious that he had a
drawer full of routers, while I only had 1. I thought 1 was enough, more was just showing
off.

Now I have 3 routers (full size for hand use, trim, and full size in the router table). Sometimes
I wish I had more. We grow. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

[...]

Routers are like clamps. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

[...]

....but harder to hang. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 10:34:04 PM UTC-4,
wrote:

Routers are like clamps. ;-)

...but harder to hang. ;-)

Just wrap the cord around them and open the trap door.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:33:44 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

Norm a Neanderthal? I think he plugged in his chisels. The one time
a year he used a hand held chisel instead of a router.

i never really had an opinion on him

everyone has their own style developed as they go along

time constraints usually means get out some power tools

well unless you are paul sellers

that guy can make dados very fast by hand but that in my mind is not
neanderthalic that is finesse