Posted to rec.woodworking

Default table saw obsolescence

Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:15:52 -0500
wrote:

I don't expect to see the table saw obsolete in my lifetime - but I

for a wood shop with employees a cnc would look really good

Don't be a fool. The throughput would be pathetic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2017 7:19 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:08:52 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/15/2017 10:12 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:07:50 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

firmware and lawsuits

the perception of the danger of tables saws
the statistics of tables saw injuries
more and more safety features
while insurance and liability costs can only go up

seems to lead to the conclusion that they are on the way out
fewer and fewer people want to use them

i will always have one i think but

cnc is moving pretty fast and now there are other technologies like water
jets and ultrasonic cutting

how long until table saws just stop becoming an integral part of the shop

i give it 15 years or less as cnc moves into the affordable range due to
market saturation and more used machines and cad and cam allowing for more
streamlined manufacturing of the parts for cnc

consolidation will be first and we see that already
then there will be fewer models available
then there will be fewer brands
then it will become a niche
then the prices will rise
then alternatives will look even better

Now I know you're nuts. ...and a wimp.

Nothing in his message is nuts, nor wimpy? Do you think Leon is wimpy
because he has a Saw Stop?

I know you're not very bright but you really don't have to prov it.

I think you're nuts and have some bazaar attraction to the Comet..

If everyone ignores him, I'm game too.

(Posted at end of numerous lines of extraneous text to conform to
ignorance level of previous poster[s])

If everyone ignores him, the newsgroup will practically disappear. If
they ignore you, practically no change.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 2/20/2017 10:11 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Ok.

I did some tests with finger joints on my CNC router and they turned
out quite nicely. I just got distracted with other problems before I
finished the case I was building. In that case, I used the TS to cut
the wood to size, planer to give it a decent finish and parallel
edges, and CNC router to do the end cuts.

I may have been better off cutting the entire piece on the CNC, but
the important part was the finger joints.

Puckdropper

I am assuming a router type CNC. How do you square the bottoms of the
finger joints? Do you stand the pieces up on end?

I used a 3mm mortising chisel to square things up. There's no room to
stand the piece up, my mill* only has 5" or so Z-axis movement.

I guess I could program the mill to approximate a 1/8" radius cut on the
side of the finger joints, but at the time it wasn't important. I just
spent a few bucks on a chisel and got the work done.

*I said router before, but it's really a mill.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 23:33:57 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

I have been following this thread and commented early on about a table
saw. My comments were based strictly on the table saw, with little
knowledge of CNC except the perception it was expensive, and more
computer control tool.

Today I searched CNC and was shocked at the price, so think I may have
been mistaken about the actual meaning of the abbreviation.

As I found in my search CNC means "Computer Numeric Control" which is
the language of an automated system of manufacturing. These things are
very expensive, and if this definition is correct out of the budget of
the average wood worker.

Probably the most popular starter 'size" CNC for the hobbyist is the 6040:

http://ebay.to/2m1xMFo

I believe _most_ 6040's will rout/engrave both wood and thin metal.

I helped a friend setup one a few years ago. We used an old PC with a
parallel port (LPT) running Windows XP, installed Mach3 software from
he
http://www.machsupport.com/
http://www.machsupport.com/software/mach3/
http://www.machsupport.com/licensing/

He quickly got frustrated trying to learn G-code and his CNC has been
collecting dust in is shop ever since. ;-)

And how does it handle an 8x4 foot sheet of ply which a few hundred
dollar table saw can.

Or rip a 16' 2-by?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2017 11:21 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

I see...a little clean up work. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

F Murtz wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

[...]

About as well as your "few hundred dollar" table saw can handle these
tasks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR0wpgL8Z9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4NB8kPodw

What's your point?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article pnipact0pcv58vj1rt0qd76hdakjik6s5n@
4ax.com, says...

F Murtz wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

[...]

Please read the subject.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Please read the subject.

re-read the post I originally responded to:

Keith Nuttle wrote:

I have been following this thread and commented early on about a table
saw. My comments were based strictly on the table saw, with little
knowledge of CNC except the perception it was expensive, and more
computer control tool.

Today I searched CNC and was shocked at the price, so think I may have
been mistaken about the actual meaning of the abbreviation.

As I found in my search CNC means "Computer Numeric Control" which is
the language of an automated system of manufacturing. These things are
very expensive, and if this definition is correct out of the budget of
the average wood worker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2017 6:27 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

[...]

The average woodworker is more in likely to run into the need cut a 4' X
8' piece of ply wood than to have a need for a machine to cut the
complicated cuts shown in the videos.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote in
:

knuttle wrote:

The average woodworker is more in likely to run into the need cut a
4' X 8' piece of ply wood than to have a need for a machine to cut
the complicated cuts shown in the videos.

I Agree.

For the sake of argument, I'll take a contrary viewpoint. One of the
reasons our shapes tend to be square and based upon squares is that
they're easy to make. A circular saw wants to cut straight, it just
needs a little help. Jigsaws need care to cut curves nicely and bandsaws
usually have limited throat clearance.

CNC lets the machine handle fancy and complicated cuts, so it might
unlock the creativity of the guy using the machine. Now that he's got a
machine that will do perpendicular curved cuts, he'll be more likely to
do that fancy cutout and now the desk he's building looks something like
the great Chicago Bean. (Maybe it even opens up, like an old roll top.)
It's not that he can't do it with traditional tools, it's that the CNC
has taken some of the frustration and tedium out of it.

Puckdropper

Planned obsolescence Tim+[_5_] UK diy 20 November 5th 16 10:25 PM
Planned obsolescence Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 4 July 31st 16 01:26 AM
Christmas Table Decorations - The Number One Secret for Beautiful Table Decor trav Home Ownership 0 November 6th 07 11:40 AM
G1023SLW 10" Left Tilt Cabinet Table Saw w/Router table Fingersintact Woodworking 2 February 22nd 06 03:15 PM
Bench Dog 40-031 ProMax Cast Iron Router Table/Table Saw Extension furr2ball Woodworking 1 October 1st 04 05:41 PM