Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What?? More Woodworking?

Just to change the subject matter from tool company trades, electrical
theory, and software deals, I am just about to pull the trigger on the
office file cabinet/bookshelf for our home.

For the past 14 months I have had customers lined up and have not been
able to get started on this. For the past week I have been tweaking and
playing around with different wood combinations.

I have come up with a cost of right at $1,400.00 fir materials,
hardware, and tax.

There is a lull.

The link below shows the, I think final version, file cabinets and book
cases to fill the entry wall to the office in our home. I believe I
have shown this before, with a ladder.

Any way I have included in the drawing two versions, one with cherry
panels and white oak framing and one with walnut panels and white oak
framing. I also included the cherry and white oak desk that I build for
the office about 3 years ago.

I will probably go with the cherry again to match the desk. All pieces
are to scale, the desk is just a tad taller than a door opening and 8
feet wide. The wall cabinets will be just over 10 feet wide and just
over 10 feet tall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Just so you know, apparently you has to "sign up" to appropriately view
what you've posted.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

I apologize for my mistake that looks like poor grammar.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2017 5:59 PM, Bill wrote:
just over 10 feet tall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Leon,
Just so you know, apparently you has to "sign up" to appropriately view
what you've posted.

Bill

I am not sure what to say, I emailed the link to my phone and had nt
issue. And the link has been viewed 8 times already.

Perhaps you have something blocking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2017 6:28 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2017 5:59 PM, Bill wrote:
just over 10 feet tall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Leon,
Just so you know, apparently you has to "sign up" to appropriately view
what you've posted.

Bill

I am not sure what to say, I emailed the link to my phone and had nt
issue. And the link has been viewed 8 times already.

Perhaps you have something blocking.

No problem here viewing it via Firefox in Windows 7 Pro.

Looks really nice, Leon, whichever material you use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

just over 10 feet tall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Leon,
Just so you know, apparently you has to "sign up" to appropriately view
what you've posted.
Bill

I am not sure what to say, I emailed the link to my phone and had nt
issue. And the link has been viewed 8 times already.
Perhaps you have something blocking.

It opened OK for me.
John T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:59:43 -0500, Bill wrote:

Leon,
Just so you know, apparently you has to "sign up" to appropriately view
what you've posted.

Bill

Works fine in Firefox under Linux.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Looks great. Do you really have that many books? I didn't think I
had so many until I filled two (much cheaper) bookcases. Since my
shoulder surgery in early December I have had time to read some of
them. I'd rather be working in the shop.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished project.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2017 5:59 PM, Bill wrote:
just over 10 feet tall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Leon,
Just so you know, apparently you has to "sign up" to appropriately view
what you've posted.

Bill

I am not sure what to say, I emailed the link to my phone and had nt
issue. And the link has been viewed 8 times already.

Perhaps you have something blocking.

Okay. It works on IE, but not on a Firefox derivative, where I have
adblock plus and no-script running. IE must be happy to read or write
some cookies, or something. On the later, flickr requests that I sign in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2017 7:17 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

I have loads of magazines and books that can fill half now.
I will likely post progress reports.

Thank you.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2017 6:28 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2017 5:59 PM, Bill wrote:
just over 10 feet tall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Leon,
Just so you know, apparently you has to "sign up" to appropriately view
what you've posted.

Bill

I am not sure what to say, I emailed the link to my phone and had nt
issue. And the link has been viewed 8 times already.

Perhaps you have something blocking.

No problem here viewing it via Firefox in Windows 7 Pro.

Looks really nice, Leon, whichever material you use.

Thank you, I think cherry and white oak is going to be the choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
news

Okay. It works on IE, but not on a Firefox derivative, where I have
adblock plus and no-script running. IE must be happy to read or
write some cookies, or something. On the later, flickr requests that I
sign in.

No problem in Seamonkey with uBlock. Have you tried disabling
AdBlockUnlessYouPayUs Plus?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
Okay. It works on IE, but not on a Firefox derivative, where I have
adblock plus and no-script running. IE must be happy to read or
write some cookies, or something. On the later, flickr requests that I
sign in.

No problem in Seamonkey with uBlock. Have you tried disabling
AdBlockUnlessYouPayUs Plus?

You don't like Adblock Plus? I noted that they did ask for a
contribution (I didn't pay). But years ago I payed $19.99 for a
software tool that provided ad-free browsing, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I mention that only to emphasize that I am willing to pay a few
dollars for ad-free browsing if that's what it comes down to.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
Okay. It works on IE, but not on a Firefox derivative, where I have
adblock plus and no-script running. IE must be happy to read or
write some cookies, or something. On the later, flickr requests that I
sign in.

No problem in Seamonkey with uBlock. Have you tried disabling
AdBlockUnlessYouPayUs Plus?

By the way, I'm using SeaMonkey too. You're the only other one I know
using it!

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
news
Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
Okay. It works on IE, but not on a Firefox derivative, where I have
adblock plus and no-script running. IE must be happy to read or
write some cookies, or something. On the later, flickr requests that

sign in.

No problem in Seamonkey with uBlock. Have you tried disabling
AdBlockUnlessYouPayUs Plus?

You don't like Adblock Plus? I noted that they did ask for a
contribution (I didn't pay). But years ago I payed $19.99 for a
software tool that provided ad-free browsing, and thoroughly enjoyed

it.
I mention that only to emphasize that I am willing to pay a few
dollars for ad-free browsing if that's what it comes down to.

I like the software just fine, but they jumped the shark* when they
started to allow selected advertising.

*Sorry Leon, we kinda did too!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news
Okay. It works on IE, but not on a Firefox derivative, where I have
adblock plus and no-script running. IE must be happy to read or
write some cookies, or something. On the later, flickr requests that I
sign in.

No problem in Seamonkey with uBlock. Have you tried disabling
AdBlockUnlessYouPayUs Plus?

By the way, I'm using SeaMonkey too. You're the only other one I know
using it!

Puckdropper

Using SeaMonkey here since Mozilla.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2017 12:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
news

Okay. It works on IE, but not on a Firefox derivative, where I have
adblock plus and no-script running. IE must be happy to read or
write some cookies, or something. On the later, flickr requests that I
sign in.

No problem in Seamonkey with uBlock. Have you tried disabling
AdBlockUnlessYouPayUs Plus?

Puckdropper

Perhaps not an Ad Blocker/Plus problem, I am using it with no issue on
Flickr.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/17 4:51 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

A suggestion, save the $1400 and go digital, you could make a cute
little box to store the flash drive 8^)

You always seem to go "all-out", it looks very well though out. Cherry
is nice since it ages wonderfully, I'd keep it matching the desk. You
will be seeing them together in that room for many years.

-BR
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:10:15 -0600, Leon wrote:

Looks great. Do you really have that many books? I didn't think I had
so many until I filled two (much cheaper) bookcases. Since my shoulder
surgery in early December I have had time to read some of them. I'd
rather be working in the shop.

I have loads of magazines and books that can fill half now.
I will likely post progress reports.

I recently finished building 13 bookcases to hold our 1600+ books. And
that doesn't include 5 bookcases of hobby magazines in my den. You've
got a ways to go :-).

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 08:56:06 -0700, Brewster wrote:

You always seem to go "all-out", it looks very well though out. Cherry
is nice since it ages wonderfully, I'd keep it matching the desk. You
will be seeing them together in that room for many years.

When I built our entertainment center, I built the everything but the
panels out of alder and used cherry for the panels. When built you
couldn't tell any difference in the color. That was 10 or 12 years ago.
The cherry has darkened nicely. I like the contrast, but I'm sure some
wouldn't.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2017 9:56 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 1/19/17 4:51 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That went right over my over my head unless you are talking about this...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

You always seem to go "all-out", it looks very well though out. Cherry
is nice since it ages wonderfully, I'd keep it matching the desk. You
will be seeing them together in that room for many years.

-BR

For most of my new customers that have seen my work somewhere else I
invite them to our home to show them the different styles and woods that
I use. The always seals the deal.

The cherry on the desk is about 3~4 years old now and is just starting
to contrast the white oak nicely.

Normally I would not consider the walnut but this unit will not be
visible from the hallway outside the office. You look in and see the
desk. To see the wall unit you have to come into the office and turn
around to see it. But still cherry is what we decided to go with for
the same reason you pointed out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2017 11:57 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:10:15 -0600, Leon wrote:

Looks great. Do you really have that many books? I didn't think I had
so many until I filled two (much cheaper) bookcases. Since my shoulder
surgery in early December I have had time to read some of them. I'd
rather be working in the shop.

I have loads of magazines and books that can fill half now.
I will likely post progress reports.

I recently finished building 13 bookcases to hold our 1600+ books. And
that doesn't include 5 bookcases of hobby magazines in my den. You've
got a ways to go :-).

NO KIDDING! Have you posted pictures of them? Are you the local
satellite library? LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:10:24 -0600, Leon wrote:

NO KIDDING! Have you posted pictures of them? Are you the local
satellite library? LOL

No, but we go to the library ever week to get more books to read :-).

My father taught me to read (the newspaper) when I was 3. It addicted
me. And I think it ruined my eyesight - I've been wearing glasses since
kindergarten.

Most of the books are non-fiction - woodworking, model railroading,
motorcycles, and computers. And my wife and I are both history buffs, so
there's a large chunk of history books. IOW, they're more for looking
stuff up than for reading.

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2017 12:57 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:10:15 -0600, Leon wrote:

Looks great. Do you really have that many books? I didn't think I had
so many until I filled two (much cheaper) bookcases. Since my shoulder
surgery in early December I have had time to read some of them. I'd
rather be working in the shop.

I have loads of magazines and books that can fill half now.
I will likely post progress reports.

I recently finished building 13 bookcases to hold our 1600+ books. And
that doesn't include 5 bookcases of hobby magazines in my den. You've
got a ways to go :-).

wholly crap. impressive.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2017 6:25 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:10:24 -0600, Leon wrote:

NO KIDDING! Have you posted pictures of them? Are you the local
satellite library? LOL

No, but we go to the library ever week to get more books to read :-).

My father taught me to read (the newspaper) when I was 3. It addicted
me. And I think it ruined my eyesight - I've been wearing glasses since
kindergarten.

Most of the books are non-fiction - woodworking, model railroading,
motorcycles, and computers. And my wife and I are both history buffs, so
there's a large chunk of history books. IOW, they're more for looking
stuff up than for reading.

Wow Larry! I started wearing glasses when I was 7. I do not like to
read something unless it is factual. Like you I want information, not a
story.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 6:36:14 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
I recently finished building 13 bookcases to hold our 1600+ books.

wholly crap. impressive.

I know, right?

They're probably all *Little Golden Books. :-)

With the bibliography as some of you have, you should be writing your own book(s). *I wrote a "book", once.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work, Leon.

Sonny