Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sash weights, what to do with them?

After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 1:55:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Your options:

1 - Toss/scrape them and then a couple of months from now come up with
the perfect use for them.

2 - Hang on to them and never come up with any use for them for as long
as you live.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 3:06:38 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Send one to Jack to use as a counterweight for his drill press table (as per Swing).

Thanks...any of you comedians considering a second job?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 12:55:01 PM UTC-6, wrote:
After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Are they cast iron or wrought iron? Before about 1850, most iron was wrought iron. If your irons had been recycled, they might be pre-1850/1860, there abouts, so they may be wrought iron.

Is there a blacksmith in your area? A smithy might be interested in them. Maybe have him/her make a few holddowns for you. Or a few other items you might like or need.... decor (olde time?) strap hinges, gate latches, door knock, decor type items. Is there such a thing as a iron mistletoe hanger? Need a froe? LOL.

As for as any fees, might can trade some of the irons for partial labor costs.... or sell them to the smithy. The smithy might have a few ideas for ya. What might be appropriate for a late 1800s home, that can be made with them?

Otherwise, as Karl says, boat (skiff) anchors or trout/catfish line weights, weights for nets.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

And to add to that great list and mention of a Smithy - if you get a
dump of soil or sand or wood... tarp over it for the rain.. and weight
down the corners and sides with 8 pound weights.

I have to use cement block about that size for the same purpose.

Martin

On 12/7/2016 8:44 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 9:44:53 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I assume they are cast, based on the casting marks and the fact they are somewhat what fragile...Not many smiths in the area, but I have not looked real hard...yet...
I have used them for tarp weights, but purely a stopgap measure as tarps are not permanent parts of either our architecture or landscaping
Thanks for input...

Posted to rec.woodworking

After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Use to hold a pop-up canopy for outdoor (sales?) to keep in place?
Weigh down a canopy cover or sides?
Use to weigh down a base for a floor lamp? Table? Yard Umbrella?
Come up with a project that could benefit from weight?

Clean up an old tractor tire, glue the weights in to balance it and
then sell it as a new exercise device. Flipping one around the yard is
apparently a great form of over-all strength building.

Worst case sell them to a metal artist or for scrap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen
cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap
them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance

I've used them as rollers to move heavy objects like large slabs of blue
stone... they serve well as weights too!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/16 7:44 PM, Sonny wrote:

Otherwise, as Karl says, boat (skiff) anchors or trout/catfish line weights, weights for nets.

Sonny

Body dumps in the local swamp?

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2016 10:01 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 12/7/16 7:44 PM, Sonny wrote:

Otherwise, as Karl says, boat (skiff) anchors or trout/catfish line
weights, weights for nets.

Sonny

Body dumps in the local swamp?

Nah ... for that we stuff'em in an oil drum and fill it with concrete.
Old Dudley J. LeBlanc had the patent on that too ... where you think
those Yankees got the idea for Jimmy Hoffa, eh?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/10/2016 11:14 AM, Jack wrote:

I like the idea of using them for holding down tarps on firewood stack,
but the correct answer was get rid of them immediately and then think of
a use, or keep them forever and never, ever find a use. Your choice.

The "correct" answer would be to list them on eBay with all the other
useless junk that somebody seems to want most of, anyways...boggle the
mind what actually does seem to sell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/16 7:44 PM, Sonny wrote:

Otherwise, as Karl says, boat (skiff) anchors or trout/catfish line
weights, weights for nets.

Sonny

Body dumps in the local swamp?

Nah ... for that we stuff'em in an oil drum and fill it with concrete.
Old Dudley J. LeBlanc had the patent on that too ... where you think
those Yankees got the idea for Jimmy Hoffa, eh?

I think, historically, wrought iron graveyard gates were stolen, for dumping bodies in the River.

*He can make graveyard gates, with the weights, then sellum on Ebay!

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, dpb wrote:

....boggle (sic) the mind what actually does seem to sell.

Tell me about it!

http://timberwolftools.com/tools/maf...-MKS165Ec.html

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/7/16 7:44 PM, Sonny wrote:

Otherwise, as Karl says, boat (skiff) anchors or trout/catfish line
weights, weights for nets.

Sonny

Body dumps in the local swamp?

Nah ... for that we stuff'em in an oil drum and fill it with concrete.
Old Dudley J. LeBlanc had the patent on that too ... where you think
those Yankees got the idea for Jimmy Hoffa, eh?

I think, historically, wrought iron graveyard gates were stolen, for dumping bodies in the River.

Hey, never let history get in the way of a good story, cher.
Especially after you just drank an old bottle of vintage HadACol, for
the sniffles, of course ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, dpb wrote:

....boggle (sic) the mind what actually does seem to sell.

Tell me about it!

http://timberwolftools.com/tools/maf...-MKS165Ec.html

Holy crap! I showed that to SWMBO and said "Green tools aren't so
bad, now, are they?" She wanted my credit cards.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, dpb wrote:

....boggle (sic) the mind what actually does seem to sell.

Tell me about it!

http://timberwolftools.com/tools/maf...-MKS165Ec.html

Damn, sure hope Leon doesn't see this:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-12, Jack wrote:

On 12/10/2016 1:08 PM, notbob wrote:
http://timberwolftools.com/tools/maf...-MKS165Ec.html

Damn, sure hope Leon doesn't see this:-)

I always wondered why our two Festool fans never moved up to Mafell.
Definitely more status ....if $$$$ is yer metric.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in :

I always wondered why our two Festool fans never moved up to Mafell.
Definitely more status ....if $$$$ is yer metric.

nb

Oh no! You mentioned metric. That's always good for a 100-post thread
with some good discussion and some major rabbet* trails.

Puckdropper
*Hey, it's a woodworking group

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 2:55:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
notbob wrote in :

I always wondered why our two Festool fans never moved up to Mafell.
Definitely more status ....if $$$$ is yer metric.

nb

Oh no! You mentioned metric.

What is the equivalent SAE value of a metric dollar?

That's always good for a 100-post thread

Is that 100 metric posts or 100 SAE posts?

with some good discussion and some major rabbet* trails.

Is a metric rabbet trail deeper than an SAE rabbet trail?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

After replacing my original late 1800's DH windows, I have a several dozen
cast iron sash weights, all around 8 lbs each. I hate to toss or even scrap
them, but so far have not come up with a useful repurposing means...
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance

A gravity stock feeder comes to mind... When I worked at the Gunsmith Shop
at Colonial Williamsburg there was a gravity feed on the hand cranked barrel
reamer... The carriage that held the barrel had a hook on it. To that hook a
rope was attached. The rope was in turn attached to a weight. As the reamer
opened up the bore the weight pulled the barrel into the reamer bit. The
beauty of it was that if the reamer hit a tight or hard spot the feed
slowed down. Compare this to a power feed that would try to maintain the
feed rate regardless of the cutting conditions. It seems to me that
Wallace Gusler used the feed in the movie Gunsmith of Williamsburg--used to
be widely available from libraries and was available for purchase from CW.
at www.history.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-12, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

Oh no! You mentioned metric.

I knew that would get more attention than the "Festool" reference.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-12, Jack wrote:

On 12/10/2016 1:08 PM, notbob wrote:
http://timberwolftools.com/tools/maf...-MKS165Ec.html

Damn, sure hope Leon doesn't see this:-)

I always wondered why our two Festool fans never moved up to Mafell.
Definitely more status ....if $$$$ is yer metric.

nb

I have no need for a portable saw that cuts that deep. ;~)