DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mason and SullivanPlans search (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/393384-re-re-mason-sullivanplans-search.html)

Electric Comet April 17th 16 05:47 PM

Mason and SullivanPlans search

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:44:07 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

I have an Eli Terry Shelf Clock kit, still in the box but missing
the movement. Does anyone know if there are any that would fit it, or
would someone like to purchase the kit I have (with assembly
instructions)?

unable to answer your questions

maybe repurpose the kit into some modern kind of clock

the pixie tubes are interesting time displays

krw[_6_] April 17th 16 11:47 PM

Mason and SullivanPlans search

wrote:

I have an Eli Terry Shelf Clock kit, still in the box but missing
the movement. Does anyone know if there are any that would fit it, or
would someone like to purchase the kit I have (with assembly
instructions)?

unable to answer your questions

maybe repurpose the kit into some modern kind of clock

the pixie tubes are interesting time displays

"Pixie tubes"? I guess they're old enough as dust.

John McCoy April 18th 16 12:43 AM

Mason and SullivanPlans search

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

I have an Eli Terry Shelf Clock kit, still in the box but missing
the movement. Does anyone know if there are any that would fit it,
or would someone like to purchase the kit I have (with assembly
instructions)?

unable to answer your questions

maybe repurpose the kit into some modern kind of clock

the pixie tubes are interesting time displays

"Pixie tubes"? I guess they're old enough as dust.

I'm going to guess he meant Nixie tubes, but there actually
was a thing called a Pixie tube. I have an idea it had
segments like the wedges of a pie chart, but I don't think
I've ever seen one.

I do have a handle of Nixie tubes around here somewhere.
Useful for puzzling new EE grads on job interviews.

John

krw[_6_] April 18th 16 01:34 AM

Mason and SullivanPlans search

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 23:43:35 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

I have an Eli Terry Shelf Clock kit, still in the box but missing
the movement. Does anyone know if there are any that would fit it,
or would someone like to purchase the kit I have (with assembly
instructions)?

unable to answer your questions

maybe repurpose the kit into some modern kind of clock

the pixie tubes are interesting time displays

"Pixie tubes"? I guess they're old enough as dust.

I'm going to guess he meant Nixie tubes, but there actually
was a thing called a Pixie tube. I have an idea it had
segments like the wedges of a pie chart, but I don't think
I've ever seen one.

Evidently it was something like a Nixie Tube (numeric display), though
quite rare, me thinks.

http://everything2.com/title/Pixie+tube

I do have a handle of Nixie tubes around here somewhere.
Useful for puzzling new EE grads on job interviews.

If that throws them, a Williams Tube should make 'em choke. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willia.../Williams_tube

John McCoy April 18th 16 01:59 PM

wrote:

I do have a handle of Nixie tubes around here somewhere.
Useful for puzzling new EE grads on job interviews.

If that throws them, a Williams Tube should make 'em choke. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_tube

LOL. They'd just think it was a small CRT tube.

I do have a tube op-amp, one of these:

https://www.talkbass.com/attachments...05-jpg.834796/

which is usually good to see if they understand much
about amplifier circuits.

Speaking of CRTs reminds me of one of those "everything
old is new again" things. Back in the old days, the big
Tek scopes came with Polaroid cameras, and if you got a
significant waveform you needed a record of, you took a
picture of the CRT image. With the advent of digital
storage scopes, that went away - you connected up a printer,
or saved a JPG on a USB stick, or sent it over the network,
when you needed to keep a record of a waveform. I've
noticed, tho, that the young guys don't do that anymore.
If they need a record, they pull out their phones and
take a picture of the scope.

John

Scott Lurndal April 18th 16 03:15 PM

Electric Comet writes:

unable to answer your questions

They why the @#$*( did you answer?

the pixie tubes are interesting time displays

Nixie tubes work much better.