DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Closing shop -- prices? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/389924-closing-shop-prices.html)

Carter February 2nd 16 11:44 PM

Closing shop -- prices?

After 37 years in the same location, my wife and I are thinking of
selling the house and moving to a condo -- with no room there for a wood
shop. Therefore, I am looking to sell my equipment locally here in the
Detroit area. (cast iron is too heavy / expensive to ship).

I would like to get the group's thoughts on what prices I should ask for
the equipment listed below. I hope this is the proper venue and that no
one will start a flame war over my asking. If so, I apologize in
advance...and give me a brief notice so I have time to put on my
flame-proof asbestos suit. :-)

All equipment listed was purchased *new* by me in the mid 1980s and has
been in my basement shop since then. It has not been used for at least
the last 20 years; also, it all has been lightly used, is in near new
cosmetic and 100% operational condition and have all the original
owner's manuals.

1) Rockwell Model RC-33 13 inch thickness planer, 220 volt single
phase. Included is an HTC mobile base.

2) Rockwell 10 inch contractors saw, 120 volt. Includes the following:

a) Excalibur T-slot precision saw fence (with manual)

b) HTC mobile base

c) The two sheet metal extension wings have been replaced with Delta
Unisaw cast iron extension wings.

3) Rockwell 46-111 Wood Lathe, e/w 2-speed motor (plus speed changes via
multi-step pulleys), indexing head, regular and ball bearing dead
center, knockout bar, 2 tool rests, etc.

4) Ten (10) various Sorby turning tools, mint condition.

5) Rockwell 14 inch Wood Cutting Band Saw. Includes work light, fence, a
dozen or so various width blades and retractable caster set.

6) Mark 5 Shopsmith with miscellaneous small accessories.

7) Joint-Matic machine made by Strong Tool Design. Used for making a lot
of exotic and very accurate wood joints using your router. Includes the
optional stand.

8) AMT 6 inch jointer -- an exact clone of the Delta jointer

That's pretty much all the big pieces.

Again, I would appreciate your input as to what I should ask for these
pieces.

Thanks in advance,
Carter

Meanie[_4_] February 3rd 16 12:05 AM

Closing shop -- prices?

If it were me, I would get all the model numbers and do a search on
Ebay, Craigslist and a general Google search. See what others are
asking, if that item is still being sold. Otherwise, take a similar
model and compare it but you'd still need to ask much less depending on
age.

Though, I think you should sell the Sorby set for $50 and guess what,
I'll buy them because I'm in the Detroit area ; )

Seriously, it may be much work, but it'll help you get a fair asking
price. Once you figure out the asking price of the turning tools, please
do let me know. I am interested.

Meanie[_4_] February 3rd 16 12:12 AM

Closing shop -- prices?

Here is a good example of searching Google. I found this question within
a woodworking forum where someone is asking about the price of a used
RC33, though, they state Delta. The question was posted in 2010 and at
that time it was noted of the product availability was from 1984 to
1987. Someone chimed in stating a good price at $350. Now consider the
condition and age of yours and it may be a good starting point.

Remember, if you ask higher and no bites, you can always lower the
price, but you can't ask lower then raise it.

[email protected] February 3rd 16 02:25 AM

Closing shop -- prices?

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 19:05:07 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

If it were me, I would get all the model numbers and do a search on
Ebay, Craigslist and a general Google search. See what others are
asking, if that item is still being sold. Otherwise, take a similar
model and compare it but you'd still need to ask much less depending on
age.

Though, I think you should sell the Sorby set for $50 and guess what,
I'll buy them because I'm in the Detroit area ; )

Seriously, it may be much work, but it'll help you get a fair asking
price. Once you figure out the asking price of the turning tools, please
do let me know. I am interested.

That old Delta stuff will still be useable long after a lot of the
new stuff is junked.

You don't need to discount it much for "age" if the condition is as it
is described.

Electric Comet February 3rd 16 03:58 AM

Closing shop -- prices?

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 18:44:26 -0500
Carter wrote:

wood shop. Therefore, I am looking to sell my equipment locally here
in the Detroit area. (cast iron is too heavy / expensive to ship).

get a big cup of coffee and look at ebay and craigslist

for craigslist i have found the pacific north west and east coast have a
lot of tools for sale and a fair amount in texas

start in the big cities when you search craigslist

like the other poster said age in this case is more an asset than a liability

sorby tools will get top dollar

also start with prices high and then go low

and furthermore you can sell on ebay just select the "local pickup only"
option

selling on craigslist can work just be ready for the crazy people

Meanie[_4_] February 3rd 16 10:52 AM

Closing shop -- prices?

wrote:

If it were me, I would get all the model numbers and do a search on
Ebay, Craigslist and a general Google search. See what others are
asking, if that item is still being sold. Otherwise, take a similar
model and compare it but you'd still need to ask much less depending on
age.

Though, I think you should sell the Sorby set for $50 and guess what,
I'll buy them because I'm in the Detroit area ; )

Seriously, it may be much work, but it'll help you get a fair asking
price. Once you figure out the asking price of the turning tools, please
do let me know. I am interested.

That old Delta stuff will still be useable long after a lot of the
new stuff is junked.

You don't need to discount it much for "age" if the condition is as it
is described.

When/if parts are difficult to find for an outdated machine, it'll be
difficult to sell at a price close to retail.

[email protected] February 3rd 16 01:03 PM

Closing shop -- prices?

wrote:

[...]

With most Delta stuff the main failure parts are "off the shelf"
industrials. The rest of the machines are pretty well bomb-proof

Carter February 3rd 16 04:43 PM

Closing shop -- prices?

On 2/2/2016 9:25 PM, wrote:

That old Delta stuff will still be useable long after a lot of the
new stuff is junked.

You don't need to discount it much for "age" if the condition is as it
is described.

Yes, the condition of all the stuff is as described and probably better.
After building the shop, work and a growing family took up most of my
available time and I am embarrassed to say that my total output was only
15 or 20 small projects.

Carter February 3rd 16 04:49 PM

Closing shop -- prices?

On 2/2/2016 10:58 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

get a big cup of coffee and look at ebay and craigslist

for craigslist i have found the pacific north west and east coast have a
lot of tools for sale and a fair amount in texas

start in the big cities when you search craigslist

A good tip. I have looked at the Detroit Craigslist, but did not see too
much. It might work to try other cities.

However, my original hope was that by posting here, people might have
some ball park ideas off the top of their heads.

like the other poster said age in this case is more an asset than a liability

sorby tools will get top dollar

also start with prices high and then go low

and furthermore you can sell on ebay just select the "local pickup only"
option

Also a good idea. I am an eBay user but overlooked the local pickup
choice -- but I still would like a ballpark price so I know what a fair
price would be to start at and to possibly find a reserve price (not
crazy about reserves but like shooting myself in the foot even less).

selling on craigslist can work just be ready for the crazy people

Yes, a very astute observation! Been there, done that. :-)

Electric Comet February 3rd 16 05:21 PM

Closing shop -- prices?

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:49:04 -0500
Carter wrote:

However, my original hope was that by posting here, people might have
some ball park ideas off the top of their heads.

ball park is a tough one
it is so dependant on you and what you want to get

i know someone that sold an entire life time of tools and equipment for
a really good price to some young enthusiastic guys and they took it
all in a couple of days

so there is that side to think about too

Also a good idea. I am an eBay user but overlooked the local pickup
choice -- but I still would like a ballpark price so I know what a
fair price would be to start at and to possibly find a reserve price

with ebay you weed out the people that will waste your time on craigslist
and you get the money up front

you can also do another option where you list some local freight companies
in your listing

then the buyer arranges all the freight including moving the equipment
and crating it and then of course trucking it

depends on the local area and what you want to get

how low will you go

(not crazy about reserves but like shooting myself in the foot even
less).

reserves are good idea but looking around and finding a reasonable
price saves from doing a reserve

most buyer do not like reserves

Yes, a very astute observation! Been there, done that. :-)

i look at craigslist and buy or get free stuff once in a while but no longer
post stuff there

[email protected] February 3rd 16 11:11 PM

Closing shop -- prices?

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 09:21:08 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:49:04 -0500
Carter wrote:

However, my original hope was that by posting here, people might have
some ball park ideas off the top of their heads.

ball park is a tough one
it is so dependant on you and what you want to get

i know someone that sold an entire life time of tools and equipment for
a really good price to some young enthusiastic guys and they took it
all in a couple of days

so there is that side to think about too

I know a guy did the same with his metalworking tools - a full
machine shop.
The "young enthusiastic guys" turned around and tripled their money
within a week. ****ed the old guy off something awfull!

They talked the talk - were really excited to get the good equipment
so they could do this and that ----- but had absolutely no intent of
ever using any of it themselves.

Mike Fowler February 10th 20 09:44 PM

Closing shop -- prices?

replying to Carter, Mike Fowler wrote:
Hi Carter, I know this is an old post, but did the Joint Matic sell? I'm
interested in getting one. Thanks Mike.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...es-794067-.htm