Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood for Scroll Sawing Ornaments

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002 at 8:59:35 PM UTC-6, Big Daddy wrote:
I'm new to scroll sawing but it's fun. I have patterns for fairly
intricate Christmas Ornaments. I bought a 1/4" piece of Birch plywood
at Home Depot, It looks like it's 3 ply, plus a birch "skin" on each
side.

I'm using a pretty fine tooth, and thin blade at about 600rpm. In
several areas, the thin birch vineer skin has broken away in between
some of the tiny cut sections.

Am I using the wrong type of plywood?

If I use a solid wood stock, I would think the the fragile ornament
piece would easily break.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne,

May I suggest that you order Baltic Birch Plywood from many sources available. I get mine from Sloan's Workshop in LeBannon, Tn. Thed Birch has no interior voids like the Big Box stores plywood. I use Lowe's Home Depot plywood for backer only. It's heart breaking to have the center fall out on a fret project. Hope this helps you.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

Big Daddy wrote:
I'm new to scroll sawing but it's fun. I have patterns for fairly
intricate Christmas Ornaments. I bought a 1/4" piece of Birch
plywood
at Home Depot, It looks like it's 3 ply, plus a birch "skin" on each
side.

I'm using a pretty fine tooth, and thin blade at about 600rpm. In
several areas, the thin birch vineer skin has broken away in between
some of the tiny cut sections.

Am I using the wrong type of plywood?

Yes you are using wrong type.

Do a search for "die board" or "Russian birch plywood".

This should bring up suppliers in your area who are in the industrial
plywood business.

Lew