Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF clamps and ryobi eybolt/wingnut driver

i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy a few
the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on these
clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2015-10-27 23:49:09 +0000, Electric Comet said:

i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy a few
the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on these
clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

I have had very poor luck the HF.

Go for better ones.
CP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2015 6:49 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy a few
the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on these
clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

If you are serious about woodworking and plan to use the clamps often it
is very likely that you will seldom use these clamps once you replace
them with better ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 6:49:13 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy a few
the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on these
clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

I'll take a bit of a contrarian view. I have about a half dozen of the 12 inch clamps and they work fine for small tasks. They ratchet down pretty tight. How can you go wrong for about $3 each on sale.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:35:37 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

If you are serious about woodworking and plan to use the clamps often it
is very likely that you will seldom use these clamps once you replace
them with better ones.

Many years ago I had a really big glue up and bought a bunch of HF clamps. I had bought the big all wood clamps (a Jorgenson C clamp knock off) and plain ductile iron clamps before and they worked great.

So I figured I would be OK if I bought their bar clamps and some squeeze clamps. They worked for the first glue up, then one or two failed after the second glue up, and then finally after about a year of use all but two of ten had failed. It was worse with their hand squeeze clamps, which I use three or four times a week sometimes all day as a second set of hands. Eventually, after light use all of them (about 6) failed completely.

To put this in perspective, I have four bar clamps that were made in the 1920s or 1930s and have been heavily used. They still work fine, although with the bars a little bent (and being really heavy) they are more backup clamps than anything else. I have some off brand of squeeze clamp I bought at HD about 20 years ago that I have used for all twenty years, and they still work fine. Ditto my 3' and 4' Stanley and Irwin clamps which are probably in the 15 year range. I have Pony pipe clamps that have to be 50 years old that were given to me by a retired contractor that used them for everything you could imagine, and they work just fine.

With their short, **** poor track record, HF turned I will never buy another HF clamp unless I figure some way it might be a one time use. Clamps are tools I expect to work, period.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:57:56 -0700, Gramps' shop wrote:

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 6:49:13 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy
a few the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on
these clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

I'll take a bit of a contrarian view. I have about a half dozen of the
12 inch clamps and they work fine for small tasks. They ratchet down
pretty tight. How can you go wrong for about $3 each on sale.

I've got a bunch of the HF bar clamps in lengths up to 30" They work
great as long as you're just gluing up and not trying to simultaneously
straighten warped wood :-).

IIRC, HF has 2 versions. One marked Pittsburg, which is what I have, and
another "brand" which seems to be the one generating most of the
complaints.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 10/27/2015 6:49 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may
buy a few the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver
works on these clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

If you are serious about woodworking and plan to use the clamps often
it is very likely that you will seldom use these clamps once you
replace them with better ones.

I have to admit that I have not really followed this thread, but what I will
say is that over time. the Harbor Freight clamps have not received bad
reviews by people here. Perhaps those were different clamps than what are
being referred to in this thread, and that would be my bad, but as a whole
as I've seen it, the HF clamps have received pretty good reviews here. Not
sure why you would talk about them in terms of "better clamps".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

..

So I figured I would be OK if I bought their bar clamps and some
squeeze clamps. They worked for the first glue up, then one or two
failed after the second glue up, and then finally after about a year
of use all but two of ten had failed. It was worse with their hand
squeeze clamps, which I use three or four times a week sometimes all
day as a second set of hands. Eventually, after light use all of
them (about 6) failed completely.

I have experienced this with the squeeze clamps but not at all with the bar
clamps or the pipe clamps. Neither of those have failed over more than 10
years of use. I put them to use for things far more than just woodworking.

To put this in perspective, I have four bar clamps that were made in
the 1920s or 1930s and have been heavily used. They still work fine,
although with the bars a little bent (and being really heavy) they
are more backup clamps than anything else. I have some off brand of
squeeze clamp I bought at HD about 20 years ago that I have used for
all twenty years, and they still work fine. Ditto my 3' and 4'
Stanley and Irwin clamps which are probably in the 15 year range. I
have Pony pipe clamps that have to be 50 years old that were given to
me by a retired contractor that used them for everything you could
imagine, and they work just fine.

My HF knock offs of the Pony pipe clamp continue to work as good as day one,
some 20 years later. Not sure that you're really making a point here
Robert.

With their short, **** poor track record, HF turned I will never buy
another HF clamp unless I figure some way it might be a one time use.
Clamps are tools I expect to work, period.

The squeeze clamps they sell have proven to be unreliable for me. That
said, the bar clamps and the Pony style clamps just continue to perform.
Can't understand the difference in experience...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2015 2:52 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Strange enough, my wife has a long arm sewing machine and it came with 4
Pittsburg clamps and I was impressed, for sewing needs. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2015 3:59 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

I have some inexpensive clamps, I reach right over them when I want to
clamp something. I have about 20 Kbody style clamps, they are the first
off the clamp rack. After that I use my inexpensive clamps. I think it
is more of a matter of me liking a clamp with a big face.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2015 4:09 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:

.

[...]

Hey Mike! Until you have used some good clamps any clamp seems to be
good. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Yeah - that makes a lot of sense. It's different from what you had posted
above, but it makes a lot of sense.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2015 1:02 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:35:37 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

If you are serious about woodworking and plan to use the clamps
often it is very likely that you will seldom use these clamps once
you replace them with better ones.

Many years ago I had a really big glue up and bought a bunch of HF
clamps. I had bought the big all wood clamps (a Jorgenson C clamp
knock off) and plain ductile iron clamps before and they worked
great.

Wine, beer and bourbon drinkers have a saying... "Life is too short to
drink cheap ___________!"

I'll add clamps to that. Over the years I have accumulated a large
collection of Jorgensen clamps of all shapes and sizes. I've also
bought some sets of Bessey's (courtesy of a tip here years ago on some
fantastic deal available from a major supplier - forget who but it MAY
have been Amazon).

Like Timex, all of the above take a licking and keep on ticking.
Nothing fancy, just a solid tool that continues to do what it is
supposed to do and does it well.

Perhaps only 30% of my collection were bought new. That's the beauty of
quality tools... somebody can abuse them and somebody like me can
stumble across them on Craigslist, garage sales, estate sales, etc. and
with a couple of enjoyable hours in the shop cleaning them up, have a
well worn but full functional clamp to add to the collection for pennies
on the dollar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/27/2015 7:49 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy a few
the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on these
clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

I have eight of the ones they sell now; the ones with the two-tone blue
handles. I have used all of them, although not too many times. I suspect
that trying to apply great force might be bad for these molded-on
handles, but the force they are capable of was plenty to make the glue
squeeze out, so they seemed useful at a very low cost. The "fit and
finish" doesn't seem too bad actually.

I've tried their "Quick-Grip" style clamps, but only in the store. Those
immediately felt like junk. I'm surprised they didn't break right there
in the store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 10/27/2015 7:49 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy a few
the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on these
clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

I have eight of the ones they sell now; the ones with the two-tone blue
handles. I have used all of them, although not too many times. I suspect
that trying to apply great force might be bad for these molded-on
handles, but the force they are capable of was plenty to make the glue
squeeze out, so they seemed useful at a very low cost. The "fit and
finish" doesn't seem too bad actually.

I've tried their "Quick-Grip" style clamps, but only in the store. Those
immediately felt like junk. I'm surprised they didn't break right there
in the store.

The HF "Quick-Grip" are indeed worthless, but the HF "Quick Gear Clamp"
of a couple of years ago are true gems, as good as the Bessey or
Jorgensen from which they were cloned.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/46370

http://toolguyd.com/bessey-kliklamp-...ing-bar-clamp/
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Gear-Clamp/T21186

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2015 12:11 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Hummmmm I'll have to take a look. The Besseys are "ok" I have had
problems with them holding for a period of time and then loosing their
grip. Bessey replace all 4 of mine with 6 and for certain 2 of those
have shown signs of not holding for long periods of time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately they only offered them in 2013, (item number 60434). Thanks
to Jeff's post I was able to snag the last 2 at my local HF.

http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...75-.htm#560022

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2015 1:11 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Yep, I totally agree on the gear clamp. I like them better than my
KliKlamps.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 4:10:11 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

I have experienced this with the squeeze clamps but not at all with the bar
clamps or the pipe clamps. Neither of those have failed over more than 10
years of use. I put them to use for things far more than just woodworking.

Always important when talking about the quality if HF that it can vary wildly. Each batch is a lot number, and according to one of the store managers I talked to (take that for what it is worth) different lots can vary in quality. However, to reinforce his comments go to the net and check their website and you can easily see that the same exact product will have a different lot number and get different reviews. My personal (YMMV) experience bears this out as well. So it is quite likely that at least more than one of us here have had different experiences with their Pacific Rim offerings, especially if we consider that we are now comparing product manufacturing timelines of more than a decade.
have Pony pipe clamps that have to be 50 years old that were given to
me by a retired contractor that used them for everything you could
imagine, and they work just fine.

My HF knock offs of the Pony pipe clamp continue to work as good as day one,
some 20 years later. Not sure that you're really making a point here
Robert.

Note I simply said that I had Pony clamps and was commenting on their longevity. I didn't comment on the HF quality. But... if a point is to be made, my HF knock offs went in the trash. I had one roll off the saw horses on the job and the cast iron cracked, then broke when I used it to clamp. I dropped one and it landed on the crank and it broke off. With there being little difference in the price of a real Pony and an HF, for me, personally, I don't have time to screw with that type of tool.

With their short, **** poor track record, HF turned I will never buy
another HF clamp unless I figure some way it might be a one time use.
Clamps are tools I expect to work, period.

The squeeze clamps they sell have proven to be unreliable for me. That
said, the bar clamps and the Pony style clamps just continue to perform.
Can't understand the difference in experience...

See above. If every single product was made to the same exact tolerances from the same exact material for its entire production run, we could simply go to some convenient website and read one review from a competent reviewer and hundreds of thousands of folks would be served.

But since manufacturers constantly change their manufacturing techniques, materials, place of manufacture, and in come cases simply re-engineer a lower end product like a clamp without notice or fanfare I think it logical to gather personal experiences of tools that reflect a track record of real world use.

To put that in perspective, almost everything I bought about from HF seemed to be junk about 20 years ago. It was ONLY at your suggestion that I try one of their spray guns. If you recall, I loved it. I used it until it spit more than sprayed, and bought another exactly like it from HF to use for general spraying. Even though they looked the same, they weren't. I took it back and traded it for another, and had the same exact experience. So I took it apart and while it was the same model number, the fit and finish of the internals weren't anything like the one I bought at your suggestion. Same brand, same model, same appearance, but different.

Just sayin'...

You doing OK up there? IIRC, this should be about the time you are stocking up your firewood readying for winter. Still in the upper/mid 80s here...

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:21:13 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Not worth the effort to try to take it apart, and put it back together.

You just have to burn it faster Mike.

Oh wait it is November real soon, that will take care of itself.

Mark