Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mystery Tool

As you can see, John is looking for some help.

Lew

My GF's brother sent me these photos of a mysterious tool . Looks
handy
for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-1.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-2.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-3.jpg

"I have had this thing in my tool chest for as long as I can remember.
have no idea how I acquired it, have never used it, and don't know
what it
is for. If you know what it is, please let me know. It is driving me
nuts.

"Only visible marking is "Made in Japan". Only one of the finger rings
moves, and when it is squeezed closed, the cam shaped pieces come
together
tightly as to grip something. Total size is about 2.5" x 2.5".

"Correct answer (or best guess) wins you a prize.

"Thanks for playing!

"Jim"

--
John )
Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:07:18 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

[...]

I'd say it looks like a tool tor tensioning wires - or strings.
Possibly in the textile business?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My wild guess was that it's for handling film in a dark room.
I have little basis for that guess, and an Internet search did not
validate it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

wrote:

As you can see, John is looking for some help.

Lew

My GF's brother sent me these photos of a mysterious tool . Looks
handy
for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-1.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-2.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-3.jpg

"I have had this thing in my tool chest for as long as I can
remember. I
have no idea how I acquired it, have never used it, and don't know
what it
is for. If you know what it is, please let me know. It is driving me
nuts.

"Only visible marking is "Made in Japan". Only one of the finger
rings moves, and when it is squeezed closed, the cam shaped pieces
come together
tightly as to grip something. Total size is about 2.5" x 2.5".

"Correct answer (or best guess) wins you a prize.

"Thanks for playing!

"Jim"

I'd say it looks like a tool tor tensioning wires - or strings.
Possibly in the textile business?

My wild guess was that it's for handling film in a dark room.
I have little basis for that guess, and an Internet search did not
validate it.

Since the original questioner seems to have a nautical
connection, I'd think it has some purpose in the marine
world. Perhaps something to do with sailmaking?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/24/2015 11:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Looks to me like Jim Needs help.

Seems like it's for pulling a flat strap. Maybe for a sail if it's boat
related. That way it doesn't bunch up and allows the buckle to grab and
not slip.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely not.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 11:02:47 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Looks handy for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?

Seems like it's for pulling a flat strap.

And Cl suggested wire puller.

Looks like stainless steel, but the Japanese did lots of small items of chrome, especially during the Occupied Japan period and that chrome idea continued to prevail some years after Japan was no longer occupied. I tend to agree it's some sort of bender or puller and, since it's small, it may be for some miniature work, such as for model planes, railroads, etc. Stretching it: Maybe even a fish hook bender, for when a hook is straightened from use.... *Japan is historically a "fishing" nation... since it's small, compact, readily handy.

Then there's a whole other school of thought.... Are we sure the rings are for fingers, to be inserted into? The rings may be guide rings for some other pointed(?) finger-like(?) "probe", to be guided or held in a limited position.

Otherwise, it's a fingers exerciser, for texting competitors, especially if the moveable ring unit is spring loaded.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
web.com...

As you can see, John is looking for some help.

Lew

My GF's brother sent me these photos of a mysterious tool . Looks handy
for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-1.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-2.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-3.jpg

Surveyors use those to pull tape measures tight... at least that is what my
surveyor neighbor used one for!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 14:57:40 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Bill wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

AHAH!!!! It is for pulling the needle through sailcloth. You push the
tip of the needle through, then grip the needle with the tool to pull
it through. I'm sure I've seen it (or a similar tool) used for that
kind of use - perhaps in harness-making to pull the needle through
leather.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My GF's brother sent me these photos of a mysterious tool . Looks handy
for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-1.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-2.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-3.jpg

Surveyors use those to pull tape measures tight... at least that is what my
surveyor neighbor used one for!

John

Bingo ! tape puller.

http://hoboken.pastperfectonline.com...A-664717918517

http://www.toolexchange.com.au/our-t...measures/D1302

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

My GF's brother sent me these photos of a mysterious tool . Looks handy
for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-1.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-2.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-3.jpg

Surveyors use those to pull tape measures tight... at least that is what
my
surveyor neighbor used one for!

John

Bingo ! tape puller.

http://hoboken.pastperfectonline.com...A-664717918517

http://www.toolexchange.com.au/our-t...measures/D1302

John T.

From the original posting:

"Correct answer (or best guess) wins you a prize.

"Thanks for playing!

"Jim"

So what is my prize? A Tape Puller? ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2015 12:13 PM, Sonny wrote:

Otherwise, it's a fingers exerciser, for texting competitors, especially if the moveable ring unit is spring loaded.

You should audition for ATOH ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net