DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shelf Design (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/382331-shelf-design.html)

[email protected] August 22nd 15 09:00 PM

Shelf Design

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

John McCoy August 22nd 15 09:31 PM

Shelf Design

wrote in :

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?

Much too abstract.

John

Leon[_7_] August 22nd 15 10:55 PM

Shelf Design

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM, wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

[email protected] August 23rd 15 08:10 PM

Shelf Design

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM, wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

Sonny August 23rd 15 08:45 PM

Shelf Design

wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

Don't see no shelf, here! http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/

Sonny

J. Clarke[_4_] August 23rd 15 10:39 PM

Shelf Design

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

Using what newsreader?

Leon[_7_] August 24th 15 01:40 AM

Shelf Design

On 8/23/2015 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

The link is an e-mail address.

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 24th 15 01:47 AM

Shelf Design

Leon wrote:
On 8/23/2015 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic
design? BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

The link is an e-mail address.

The PDF is on the binaries group, but it's just a PDF with no explanation of
what it's intended to show. Don't get it at all.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] August 24th 15 02:15 PM

Shelf Design

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:47:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 8/23/2015 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic
design? BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

The link is an e-mail address.

The PDF is on the binaries group, but it's just a PDF with no explanation of
what it's intended to show. Don't get it at all.

Agent, right clicklaunch. Should get a popup asking if email or
newgroup.
The pdf is a drawing, do you not see it? Should be self explanitory.
Does not have size, which will be about 4' tall by 6" deep.

John McCoy August 24th 15 02:55 PM

Shelf Design

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 8/23/2015 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic
design? BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

The link is an e-mail address.

Actually it's a Usenet message ID (looks like an email address
because of the @ sign at the end).

To me, it doesn't look like a link. Perhaps some newsreaders
present message IDs as links, I dunno.

Also, my newsreader doesn't display PDF files, just JPG, GIF,
and PNG. I think that's true of most newsreaders.

My suggestion to the OP is he should start over with his
question, preferably by actually asking it in words, and
either post a picture (not a PDF) in the binaries group, or
put his PDF on a web server somewhere.

John

Greg Guarino[_2_] August 24th 15 02:57 PM

Shelf Design

On 8/22/2015 4:00 PM, wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Is there somewhere else you can post this diagram? Some of us don't get
binaries on the services we use.

Leon[_7_] August 24th 15 03:46 PM

Shelf Design

On 8/23/2015 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic
design? BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

The link is an e-mail address.

Actually it's a Usenet message ID (looks like an email address
because of the @ sign at the end).

To me, it doesn't look like a link. Perhaps some newsreaders
present message IDs as links, I dunno.

Also, my newsreader doesn't display PDF files, just JPG, GIF,
and PNG. I think that's true of most newsreaders.

My suggestion to the OP is he should start over with his
question, preferably by actually asking it in words, and
either post a picture (not a PDF) in the binaries group, or
put his PDF on a web server somewhere.

John

Or convert to a jpg and post it on a free site like Picassa or Flickr

Scott Lurndal August 24th 15 04:48 PM

Shelf Design

On 8/23/2015 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:55:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic
design? BF

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a
PDF.

The link is an e-mail address.

Actually it's a Usenet message ID (looks like an email address
because of the @ sign at the end).

To me, it doesn't look like a link. Perhaps some newsreaders
present message IDs as links, I dunno.

Also, my newsreader doesn't display PDF files, just JPG, GIF,
and PNG. I think that's true of most newsreaders.

But pretty much 100% of newreaders will allow you to save
the PDF to disk after which you can use acroread, evince or xpdf
to view it.

John McCoy August 24th 15 09:12 PM

Shelf Design

(Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:91HCx.70561$Kz4.25753
@fx18.iad:

John McCoy writes:

Also, my newsreader doesn't display PDF files, just JPG, GIF,
and PNG. I think that's true of most newsreaders.

But pretty much 100% of newreaders will allow you to save
the PDF to disk after which you can use acroread, evince or xpdf
to view it.

To be sure, but that's a lot more work. If the OP wants folks
to help, he should make it easy for them.

John

[email protected] August 24th 15 11:13 PM

Shelf Design

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:57:52 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 4:00 PM, wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Is there somewhere else you can post this diagram? Some of us don't get
binaries on the services we use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xd5cmwlzj...Shelf.pdf?dl=0

I can't convert it to a raster file with sufficient resolution to be
usable.

Leon[_7_] August 25th 15 12:13 AM

Shelf Design

On 8/24/2015 5:13 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:57:52 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 8/22/2015 4:00 PM,
wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Is there somewhere else you can post this diagram? Some of us don't get
binaries on the services we use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xd5cmwlzj...Shelf.pdf?dl=0

I can't convert it to a raster file with sufficient resolution to be
usable.

Bring the drawing up on you computer. Press the Print Screen Key. Open
MS Paint. Paste. Save as JPG. Post to Picassa or Flickr.

Jack September 3rd 15 03:02 PM

Shelf Design

wrote:

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design?
BF

Is there somewhere else you can post this diagram? Some of us don't get
binaries on the services we use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xd5cmwlzj...Shelf.pdf?dl=0

I can't convert it to a raster file with sufficient resolution to be
usable.

This worked fine. PDF files display automatically with Thunderbird if
you have the Adobe Acrobat plugin installed.

As for the design, I like a solid plywood back let into rabbet. I like
top and bottom shelf glued into rabbet in the sides, and shelves in
between on shelf pins.

Also, unless this is a special purpose bookcase, standard shelves are
12" (11 1/4") and if it is only 4' tall and on the floor, it should have
an overhanging table like top, with molding under the over hang.

Other than that, the design shown is OK, just not how I normally would
do it.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com