Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finger prints appear after staining

I am in the process of replacing a couple interior hollow core doors.
After cutting to the proper length, drilling the lockset holes,
cutting the hinge mortises and light sanding I was ready to stain the
first door.

After I applied the stain I was able to see a couple large residual
finger prints that were not visible until I had stained the door.
Unfortunately with the thin veneer I was only able to sand about half
of the finger prints out before I started to sand through the veneer.

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will
be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/04/2015 1:43 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I am in the process of replacing a couple interior hollow core doors.
After cutting to the proper length, drilling the lockset holes,
cutting the hinge mortises and light sanding I was ready to stain the
first door.

After I applied the stain I was able to see a couple large residual
finger prints that were not visible until I had stained the door.
Unfortunately with the thin veneer I was only able to sand about half
of the finger prints out before I started to sand through the veneer.

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will
be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Still a chance't you can salvage if you strip the area as best can with
solvent-based stripper and use solvent to then try to also strip the
oils of the prints...But, if it is "just" a hollow-core, may be as cheap
to replace as the stripper and effort.

Use the solvent on rag as a wash before staining next time; it'll a)
remove the oils of any such latent prints, and, more importantly, b)
highlight such things (including scratches, etc., ...) before you
actually take the plunge w/ any finish coats/stains/etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:00:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

It is "just" a hollow core door so the effort to save it would be more
than the cost of a new one. I will definitely use solvent on a rag to
clean the next one prior to staining.

This is actually the second replacement door that got trashed. We
don't need to talk about what I did to the veneer on the first one
while using a chisel to remove the glue from the inside of the veneer
after cutting down the height of the door. My lips are closed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will
be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Do you think the prints are glue or something from the door's
manufacture? Wiping down with mineral spirits often reveals
such things (as well as sanding scratches) before staining.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:52:20 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will
be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Do you think the prints are glue or something from the door's
manufacture? Wiping down with mineral spirits often reveals
such things (as well as sanding scratches) before staining.

John

The finger prints were not prints per se, but as if you were to put
your hand flat on a surface and press down with your finger tip while
sliding your hand across that surface. They closely resembled how and
where I remember my hand moving while trying to flip the door over.

I will begin adding the process of wiping down projects with solvent
prior to staining after this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:52:20 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will
be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Do you think the prints are glue or something from the door's
manufacture? Wiping down with mineral spirits often reveals
such things (as well as sanding scratches) before staining.

John

The finger prints were not prints per se, but as if you were to put
your hand flat on a surface and press down with your finger tip while
sliding your hand across that surface. They closely resembled how and
where I remember my hand moving while trying to flip the door over.

I will begin adding the process of wiping down projects with solvent
prior to staining after this.

You can if you want but it will probably not help you all that much. You
don't have that much oil in your finger tips to create that problem, unless
you're Italian. I'd think it was already in the door. Even if your finger
oils were the culprit, they would blend with the stain. I don't take
anywhere near the precautions that people suggest here, and I deal with a
lot more sensitive materials than wood stain. I've done plenty of wood
staining, and unless I was staining a piece of wood as I was doing a ball
joint lube, I've just never seen this. You can put WAY too much emphasis on
this crap of wiping down with solvents and all that - it's just not the
issue. You either had imperfections in the wood from the mill, or you
somehow screwed up the wood surface. Maybe too much finger pressure while
trying to do a light sanding? That's usually the first place to look - not
oils and solvents.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 16:22:56 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:52:20 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
m:

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will
be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Do you think the prints are glue or something from the door's
manufacture? Wiping down with mineral spirits often reveals
such things (as well as sanding scratches) before staining.

John

The finger prints were not prints per se, but as if you were to put
your hand flat on a surface and press down with your finger tip while
sliding your hand across that surface. They closely resembled how and
where I remember my hand moving while trying to flip the door over.

I will begin adding the process of wiping down projects with solvent
prior to staining after this.

Wash your hands often.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:52:20 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there
will be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Do you think the prints are glue or something from the door's
manufacture? Wiping down with mineral spirits often reveals
such things (as well as sanding scratches) before staining.

John

The finger prints were not prints per se, but as if you were to put
your hand flat on a surface and press down with your finger tip while
sliding your hand across that surface. They closely resembled how and
where I remember my hand moving while trying to flip the door over.

I will begin adding the process of wiping down projects with solvent
prior to staining after this.

Wash your hands often.

You have to remember - everyone runs their fingers over a piece of wood
before applying stain, or a finish. It is highly unlikely that this problem
is related to that simple thing - whether running your fingers over it, or
grabbing it to flip it over. The only way that would be the case would be
if you had some very foreign material on your fingers. Your finger oils are
simply not going to cause that problem. Put all the solvent on it you wish,
but you have a different problem.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I will begin adding the process of wiping down projects with solvent
prior to staining after this.

You can if you want but it will probably not help you all that much. You
don't have that much oil in your finger tips to create that
problem, unless you're Italian. I'd think it was already in the
door. Even if your finger oils were the culprit, they would blend
with the stain. I don't take anywhere near the precautions that
people suggest here, and I deal with a lot more sensitive materials
than wood stain. I've done plenty of wood staining, and unless I was
staining a piece of wood as I was doing a ball joint lube, I've just
never seen this.

Neither have I and oil base stain would just dissolve any residual body oil.
Never used water base, is it possible that would be blocked by body oil?

You can put WAY too much emphasis on this crap of
wiping down with solvents and all that - it's just not the issue. You
either had imperfections in the wood from the mill, or you
somehow screwed up the wood surface. Maybe too much finger pressure
while trying to do a light sanding? That's usually the first place
to look - not oils and solvents.

+1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:04:08 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:52:20 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

[...]

I know I didn't use too much finger pressure while sanding because I
either used a sanding block or my ROS. Besides the "prints" were
across the grain not with the grain so that was definitely not the
issue. I know I wasn't doing any shade tree mechanic work at the time
so that wasn't the culprit either. I've never had this problem before
either and I have stained many projects in the past.

It is possible, maybe even probable, that this occurred during
shipment from the manufacturer to my lumber yard or from there to my
house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote:

I know I didn't use too much finger pressure while sanding because I
either used a sanding block or my ROS. Besides the "prints" were
across the grain not with the grain so that was definitely not the
issue.

FWIW - across versus with the grain, is not a reliable indicator. If too
much finger pressure were to have been the problem, it could occur in either
direction.

I know I wasn't doing any shade tree mechanic work at the time
so that wasn't the culprit either. I've never had this problem before
either and I have stained many projects in the past.

Well then hell - why are you having this problem now?

It is possible, maybe even probable, that this occurred during
shipment from the manufacturer to my lumber yard or from there to my
house.

I'm really inclined to think it was something outside of your work.
Perhaps, not even really finger prints. Perhaps some other artifact that
only looks like finger prints to the casual glance.

Remember - it's always best to find someone else to blame before assuming
personal responsibility...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Neither have I and oil base stain would just dissolve any residual
body oil. Never used water base, is it possible that would be blocked
by body oil?

That's why I was thinking glue residue, from the manufacturer.
I know I've had plenty of "dammit" moments when I've stained
and noticed a glue spot near a joint, that I didn't catch
when sanding.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message

I know I didn't use too much finger pressure while sanding because I
either used a sanding block or my ROS. Besides the "prints" were
across the grain not with the grain so that was definitely not the
issue. I know I wasn't doing any shade tree mechanic work at the time
so that wasn't the culprit either. I've never had this problem before
either and I have stained many projects in the past.

It is possible, maybe even probable, that this occurred during
shipment from the manufacturer to my lumber yard or from there to my
house.

They very well may not be your finger prints... I've seen store workers and
delivery men use very dirty gloves and hands while handling materials... and
have even had boot prints on trim and doors. One time my wife accepted a
delivery and I came home to find a rusty gloved hand print on my table saw
top and wet dirty hand prints all over the n-grade trim... the guy
apparently used the saw for balance as they brought 16' long trim stock into
the shop. Ugh...

John