Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for you deck builders

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build
a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is
framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

That all depends on how the skirting studs are attached to the cabin. I see
that it's framed with 2x4's but how is that framing united with the
structure? How is it anchored to the slab? Those are at least some of the
questions that will lead you to deciding if the framing is sufficient to
hang a deck off of. 2x4's at 2' long are probably strong enough to handle a
ledger board, but it all depends on how they anchor at the bottom and at the
top.

If in doubt - just build it free standing.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/15 9:45 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build
a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is
framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

Larry

Well, you *could* attach the ledger to that "knee wall" and it might
hold up for decades, but you're taking a big chance.

Is there a foundation under that slab, directly beneath that skirting,
or is the home being supported somewhere else, like a trailer frame? If
there are footings under that slab that act as the foundation of this
home, then you're good.

If the slab is just a 4" floater, then it could easily crack and fail from
the weight of the deck, depending on how large it is. I would recommend
a separate deck foundation-- post and beam. Set the piers 2 to 3 feet
away from the home and cantilever the deck joists towards the home,
leaving a decent gap for water to pass between the decking and the home
without getting trapped.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2015 11:39 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Gramps' shop wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build
a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is
framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

If in doubt - just build it free standing.

That would be my choice. When I think of "cabin", I think of something
in the woods or other remote place. Maybe severe winter weather. I
think that a large deck on a manufactured home could be stressed by
movement, weather, mudslides, earthquakes, tsunami, tornadoes and even
the occasional rainbow. I'd opt to not have it attached, but well
supported.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 May 2015 07:45:55 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

Larry

I wouldn'r even think about it twice. Free standing, all the way.
Even the front porch on my house is built free-standing - no ledger
board attached to the house. Same for my 12X12 rear deck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build
a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting

why bother with a 2 ft. high deck
is there a big slope

i would build some low pitch stairs and make a brick patio
with plants around it

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a fairly large deck at his cabin.
The cabin is a manufactured home elevated about two feet over a concrete slab.
There is skirting running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed in 2x4s
with verticle studs 16 inches on center.
So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the skirting framework?
Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?
Thanks, Larry

I wouldn'r even think about it twice. Free standing, all the way.
Even the front porch on my house is built free-standing - no ledger
board attached to the house. Same for my 12X12 rear deck.

" Free-Standing " means ... on-ground deck blocks ?
... or concrete piers going down 3 - 4 feet deep .. ?

Timely post - I'm needing to re-build my 12 x 20 deck -
after it failed last summer - the "anchors" started to fail -
where they were connected into the house . .
might have been just nails ? dunno yet
.... what a pain-in-the-butt !
I've added a small dog-run around half the deck ..
I'm thinking of pressure-treated framework -
with, perhaps - synthetic decking ?
Any helpful advice / experience - is appreciated.
I'm in S. Ontario Canada near Clair :-)
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 May 2015 17:42:04 -0400, hubops
wrote:

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a fairly large deck at his cabin.
The cabin is a manufactured home elevated about two feet over a concrete slab.
There is skirting running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed in 2x4s
with verticle studs 16 inches on center.
So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the skirting framework?
Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?
Thanks, Larry

I wouldn'r even think about it twice. Free standing, all the way.
Even the front porch on my house is built free-standing - no ledger
board attached to the house. Same for my 12X12 rear deck.

" Free-Standing " means ... on-ground deck blocks ?
.. or concrete piers going down 3 - 4 feet deep .. ?

Sonotubes 3-4 feet down with saddles for the front porch. The rear
deck just had 8 inch postholes dug, 4x4 cedat posts stuck in, framing
set into the posts and nailed, holes back-filled with fast setting
sacrete, tamped and watered. The holes are about 2 1/2 feet deep in
sandy gravel base - very well drained. The deck framing was done
before I bought the house 33 years ago, and when I rebuilt the deck
about 20 years ago I was able to pull the old cedar posts out of the
concrete and drive new ones back in on all but one of the 10 holes. I
had to remove the broken concrete from one hole and re-fill it. I used
pressure treated SYP instead of cedar when I rebuilt it.

Timely post - I'm needing to re-build my 12 x 20 deck -
after it failed last summer - the "anchors" started to fail -
where they were connected into the house . .
might have been just nails ? dunno yet
... what a pain-in-the-butt !
I've added a small dog-run around half the deck ..
I'm thinking of pressure-treated framework -
with, perhaps - synthetic decking ?
Any helpful advice / experience - is appreciated.
I'm in S. Ontario Canada near Clair :-)
John T.

I used Trex Transcend for the front porch when I rebuilt it about 6
years ago. Not cheap, but worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Right - when the big bear comes on the deck - let it crash and not the
house!

If a tree falls on deck sideways to the house a ledger board would rip
the house a new one. Therefore

Free Standing and close enough to have simple step onto.

Also, consider having the deck slightly lower than the door - e.g. 1
step - so when it snows you can shovel out without being locked in by
a layer of ice on the deck.

Lots of stuff to figure upon.

Martin

Gramps' shop wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

hubops wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a
fairly large deck at his cabin.
The cabin is a manufactured home elevated about two feet over a concrete slab.
There is skirting running around the perimeter of the structure. The
skirting is framed in 2x4s
with verticle studs 16 inches on center.
So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the skirting framework?
Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?
Thanks, Larry

I wouldn'r even think about it twice. Free standing, all the way.
Even the front porch on my house is built free-standing - no ledger
board attached to the house. Same for my 12X12 rear deck.

" Free-Standing " means ... on-ground deck blocks ?
.. or concrete piers going down 3 - 4 feet deep .. ?

Neither. Free standing means not attached to another structure.

Timely post - I'm needing to re-build my 12 x 20 deck -
after it failed last summer - the "anchors" started to fail -
where they were connected into the house . .
might have been just nails ? dunno yet
... what a pain-in-the-butt !
I've added a small dog-run around half the deck ..
I'm thinking of pressure-treated framework -
with, perhaps - synthetic decking ?
Any helpful advice / experience - is appreciated.
I'm in S. Ontario Canada near Clair :-)
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a
fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting running
around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed in 2x4s
with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

Larry

The skirting framing is built specifically to hold the skirting. Not a
tough job for the framing.

In so much that it was not designed to hold a heavy deck too I think I
would go free standing and cantilever over to close the gap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 1:20:40 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a
fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting running
around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed in 2x4s
with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

Larry

The skirting framing is built specifically to hold the skirting. Not a
tough job for the framing.

In so much that it was not designed to hold a heavy deck too I think I
would go free standing and cantilever over to close the gap.

My town had no problem approving my plans to attach my deck to my house via the rim joist, and my town is not known for being lenient.

The city of Hopkins, MN thinks it's fine too:

http://www.hopkinsmn.com/home/buildi...ger-board2.gif
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

Re read his description. The skirting framing is not structural nor a part
of the house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Larry,

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a
fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed
in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.
So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

I vote for a free standing deck.

Manufactured/mobile homes are typically supported by a steel frame running
down the middle of the home. They do not have the structural rim joists
around the perimeter like a traditional home.

When we had our mobile home I built two free standing decks. I just used
deck blocks sitting on the ground, and framed the deck structure so there
was about a one inch gap between the deck and mobile. This allowed each to
move independently, as well as letting water/snow run off without causing
rot. When we sold the mobile and moved it out, I simply tore down the decks
leaving no damage to the mobile itself. Both decks lasted 13 years in use,
then I recycled the redwood to build a bookcase and a variety of shelves.

Remember to add diagonal bracing to your deck structure. Since it won't be
secured to the house, you need to prevent it from wracking side to side.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

You are correct...my misreading of the term "skirting".

Free-standing with a cantilever towards the house is probably the way to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

Apples and oranges. The rim joist on you house is sitting directly over
a foundation that is engineered to hold the weight of an entire house.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

Already addressed...3 hours ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

I would think you could assume I was reading through the replies one by
one and replied before I saw Leon address that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

I would think you could assume that not reading the entire thread before responding causes members to post redundant responses. :-)

The last thing we need on the ole interweb is redundant information. It would start to get really messy. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

This, from the guy who didn't even read the original post. :-p

The last thing we need on the ole interweb is redundant information. It would start to get really messy. ;-)

LOL

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

"Mis-reading" is not the same thing as "not even reading".

As I said to Leon:

"...my misreading of the term "skirting"."

A brain fart is all that it was.

The last thing we need on the ole interweb is redundant information. It would start to get really messy. ;-)

LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Surprised in the use of lag screws, not bolts.

Martin

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
[...]

Deck question [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 10th 07 08:32 PM
OK Deck Question (after waterproofing) Postal68 Home Repair 0 June 17th 07 05:38 PM
Question for guitar builders Paul O. Woodworking 7 November 18th 06 06:46 PM
deck stain question Bill Home Repair 3 September 7th 05 03:10 PM
Deck question jch Home Repair 6 August 27th 04 05:30 PM