Posted to rec.woodworking

Default woodburners tell all

was looking at some wood burning tools that are meant for that purpose
and no ohter

but they are expensive

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

if you use a real one what do you think of it

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just
make some finer pointed bits myself

Posted to rec.woodworking

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

I have an older Detail Master:

http://www.detailmasteronline.com

if you use a real one what do you think of it

It works fine ... My skills don't equal the potential of my system.

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just
make some finer pointed bits myself

The modern units have solid state controls. You can't get the same subtle regulation with soldering irons. Also, you can get a wide range of pens for various effects.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2015 5:40 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

was looking at some wood burning tools that are meant for that purpose
and no ohter

but they are expensive

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

if you use a real one what do you think of it

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just
make some finer pointed bits myself

I have a dandy one that I bought back in October of last year. Strictly
hardwood burning and not intended for burning either softwoods or the
manufactured woods like flooring, MDF, and or OSB. It is specifically
designed to work on the more common woos like oak, apple, walnut,
hickory, maple, cherry etc.

Are they expensive? That would be a personal choice as to what you
consider expensive. I bought a top of the line model and I could not be
happier, money well spent and no looking back at all. I found that you
could spend up to 4 or 5 times more for a great one over an entry level
model. I certainly did a lot of research before plunking down the mula.
Mine IIRC has a 5 or so year warranty and again IIRC 2 years on the
electronic parts. I wish it came in Festool Green. ;~)

The one I use is certainly real, it is a model made by Memphis, the Pro
model. It actually feeds the wood to the heating area.

I would not recommend using a soldering iron, they heat up much too
slowly and they really don't heat the wood up like you would need.

Here it is,
https://memphisgrills.com/shop/cart-models/memphis-pro/

;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2015 6:06 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

So, it engraves your signature on all the steaks you cook?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 May 2015 16:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

I have an older Detail Master:

they went out of business but will look for that brand on ebay

the units i looked at had some videos and some of the work that was
done was artistic and fine

very high quality work

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 7:06:53 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

You cheaped out!

I went with the Elite built in and installed it just like normal folk do. Stop by if you're in the area.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psvjk05qs0.jpg

(I wish!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 5/4/2015 6:06 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Our new parallel line logo. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

We looked at the larger unit but really did not need anything that big. At
Thanksgiving we cooked a 22 pound bird and 10 pounds of brisket on it for
about 16 people. The bird was perfect.
And we found out that built in is not for us. We get a pretty good
southern and northern breeze at different times of the year, that makes
grilling with the open flame difficult. The cool wind blows and cools the
temp probe which in turn confuses the start cycle and often fools the grill
onto thinking that the fire is not hot enough. The simple solution is
turn the grill 180 degrees. After talking to the Memphis Tech rep about
this he offered that suggestion and to heat the unit to 450 with the closed
smoking insert and then swapping to the flavorizer insert and changing to
one of the OF settings.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 May 2015 15:40:15 -0700
Electric Comet wrote:

more htan a few sites have recommended razertip but they are not cheap

also found full digital control soldering irons for cheap but need to
see if the nice wood bruning tips will connect to the soldering units

have a feeling they are incompatible

dreadful vendor lock in you know

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:36:53 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I only posted a picture of half my patio. I also built a mirror image of the space. I don't have to turn the built in, I just move the food to the other unit if the wind shifts direction.

When I'm lazy, I simply buy twice as much food as I need, cook half on each and don't concern myself with the wind. You can solve just about any problem if you throw enough money at it. ;-)

I used to have an issue with my son not being around when I needed him, so I solved that issue in a similar manner.

http://media1.break.com/breakstudios...1/5/clones.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

LOL... There you go!

Posted to rec.woodworking

was looking at some wood burning tools that are meant for that purpose
and no ohter

but they are expensive

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

if you use a real one what do you think of it

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just
make some finer pointed bits myself
Electric Comet

I use a single Razertip that I got off eBay, used. Love and prefer it
to any other I have tried. I particularly like RT pens and layout of
the burners. Their warranty and support is the best.

I also have a brand new Colwood Cub with two new pens sitting in my
drawer. Colwood makes good units and pens and their warranty and
service is good. Their pens are decent but I don't care for their pens
near as much as RazerTip.

I tried and liked an Optima but since I got the RT at such a great
price, it was a no-brainer. Decent warranty, meh service. Once caveat
is their boxes are plastic, so careful where you put your hot pen.

I don't like Detailmaster. Any burners with metal pens are silly imo.

If you are burning part-time or low usage, I'd recommend the Colwood
Cub. For more serious burning, the RT, hands-down.

If you want a soldier like burner, check out the Walnut Hollow Versa
Tool, the one with the interchangeable tips and temp control. Great
little burner for $25-$30 dollars.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 May 2015 17:11:19 -0400
Casper wrote:

I use a single Razertip that I got off eBay, used. Love and prefer it
to any other I have tried. I particularly like RT pens and layout of
the burners. Their warranty and support is the best.

it is pricey will have to look for a real good price though

I also have a brand new Colwood Cub with two new pens sitting in my
drawer. Colwood makes good units and pens and their warranty and
service is good. Their pens are decent but I don't care for their pens

i have looked at them

I tried and liked an Optima but since I got the RT at such a great
price, it was a no-brainer. Decent warranty, meh service. Once caveat
is their boxes are plastic, so careful where you put your hot pen.

don't think i know the optimas

I don't like Detailmaster. Any burners with metal pens are silly imo.

they are out of business and the website that was posted earlier is a
scam/fishing website taking orders and charging credit cards but
shipping nothing

If you are burning part-time or low usage, I'd recommend the Colwood
Cub. For more serious burning, the RT, hands-down.

good info to have

If you want a soldier like burner, check out the Walnut Hollow Versa
Tool, the one with the interchangeable tips and temp control. Great
little burner for $25-$30 dollars.

this one i have not heard of but need to check that

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2015 2:06 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2015 18:06:35 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

What does the Fe in Festool stand for? ;p

Fe refers to Iron in the periodic table. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I use a single Razertip that I got off eBay, used. Love and prefer it
to any other I have tried. I particularly like RT pens and layout of
the burners. Their warranty and support is the best.

it is pricey will have to look for a real good price though
Electric Comet

Yes the are pricey. I got lucky and bought mine off eBay. It was from
an estate sale. Said it was used but I found nothing to indicate that
when it arrived. I got the single burner unit, 4 pens, 2 wires and a
tip cleaner, all for $120 including shipping.Some peeps don't like
eBay but I can say I have gotten some great things off eBay with a
little patience.

I also have a brand new Colwood Cub with two new pens sitting in my
drawer. Colwood makes good units and pens and their warranty and
service is good. Their pens are decent but I don't care for their pens

i have looked at them
Electric Comet

I tried and liked an Optima but since I got the RT at such a great
price, it was a no-brainer. Decent warranty, meh service. Once caveat
is their boxes are plastic, so careful where you put your hot pen.

don't think i know the optimas
Electric Comet

I usually find them for sale at shows but they are sold online and
often on eBay.

I don't like Detailmaster. Any burners with metal pens are silly imo.

they are out of business and the website that was posted earlier is a
scam/fishing website taking orders and charging credit cards but
shipping nothing
Electric Comet

I didn't realize they went out of business. We have a dedicated duck
carver in our carving guild who has one. His backup/portable is a
Colwood Cub.

If you are burning part-time or low usage, I'd recommend the Colwood
Cub. For more serious burning, the RT, hands-down.

good info to have
Electric Comet

If you want a soldier like burner, check out the Walnut Hollow Versa
Tool, the one with the interchangeable tips and temp control. Great
little burner for $25-$30 dollars.

this one i have not heard of but need to check that
Electric Comet

You can find these on Amazon or in Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Most
hobby type stores carry some of Walnut Hollow's products.

A couple good info sites on the web that might interest you...

http://www.sawdustconnection.com/Pyr...omparisons.htm
http://www.woodburning.com/aboutwoodburners.asp

Good luck!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

Yes the are pricey. I got lucky and bought mine off eBay. It was from
an estate sale. Said it was used but I found nothing to indicate that
when it arrived. I got the single burner unit, 4 pens, 2 wires and a
tip cleaner, all for $120 including shipping.Some peeps don't like
eBay but I can say I have gotten some great things off eBay with a
little patience.

Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:08:30 -0400
Casper wrote:

You can find these on Amazon or in Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Most
hobby type stores carry some of Walnut Hollow's products.

the price is good and i was reminded that i can use it to cut foam
board also

will check those sites you mention

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 12:53:44 PM UTC-4, Mike Marlow wrote:
Casper wrote:

Yes the are pricey. I got lucky and bought mine off eBay. It was from
an estate sale. Said it was used but I found nothing to indicate that
when it arrived. I got the single burner unit, 4 pens, 2 wires and a
tip cleaner, all for $120 including shipping.Some peeps don't like
eBay but I can say I have gotten some great things off eBay with a
little patience.

Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?

I'll have my peeps call your peeps to schedule a sit down to discuss. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?
Mike Marlow

peep = people (multiple)

Like going to the grocery store right before Easter and finding
yourself surrounded by all the ... 'peeps'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'll have my peeps call your peeps to schedule a sit down to discuss. ;-)
DerbyDad03

Exactly!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 10:23:37 AM UTC-4, Casper wrote:
I'll have my peeps call your peeps to schedule a sit down to discuss. ;-)
DerbyDad03

Exactly!

Even the rents know about my peeps. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 10:23:37 AM UTC-4, Casper wrote:
I'll have my peeps call your peeps to schedule a sit down to discuss. ;-)
DerbyDad03

Exactly!

Even the rents know about my peeps. ;-)

I'll 'member to keep my linds pulled! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 10:23:37 AM UTC-4, Casper wrote:
I'll have my peeps call your peeps to schedule a sit down to
discuss. ;-) DerbyDad03
Exactly!

Even the rents know about my peeps. ;-)

I'll 'member to keep my linds pulled! : )

You guys are getting too ingrained in the way kids talk on social media...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2015 9:23 AM, Casper wrote:
Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?
Mike Marlow

peep = people (multiple)

Like going to the grocery store right before Easter and finding
yourself surrounded by all the ... 'peeps'.

Grammar Nazi: "s" is therefore redundant.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 9:14:26 AM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 5/9/2015 9:23 AM, Casper wrote:
Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?
Mike Marlow

peep = people (multiple)

Like going to the grocery store right before Easter and finding
yourself surrounded by all the ... 'peeps'.

Grammar Nazi: "s" is therefore redundant.

....except that Casper was incorrect.

Peep is singular, peeps is multiple. As far as I know peeps was used way before peep.

From: http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/peep#English

Etymology 4

Back-formation from peeps, a shortened form of people.

Noun
peep (plural peeps)

(UK, slang) person.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman was heard to mutter:

On 5/9/2015 9:23 AM, Casper wrote:
Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?
Mike Marlow

peep = people (multiple)

Like going to the grocery store right before Easter and finding
yourself surrounded by all the ... 'peeps'.

Grammar Nazi: "s" is therefore redundant.

Correction:
peep = person
peeps = people
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/10/2015 8:14 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/9/2015 9:23 AM, Casper wrote:
Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all
about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?
Mike Marlow

peep = people (multiple)

Like going to the grocery store right before Easter and finding
yourself surrounded by all the ... 'peeps'.

Grammar Nazi: "s" is therefore redundant.

Like O.M.G. I.D.N.K.T. Home'e ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/10/2015 3:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 9:14:26 AM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 5/9/2015 9:23 AM, Casper wrote:
Glad you found a deal that satisfied you - that's what it's all about. I
have to ask though - what is a "peep"?
Mike Marlow

peep = people (multiple)

Like going to the grocery store right before Easter and finding
yourself surrounded by all the ... 'peeps'.

Grammar Nazi: "s" is therefore redundant.

...except that Casper was incorrect.

Peep is singular, peeps is multiple. As far as I know peeps was used way before peep.

Wouldn't Little Peeps be an Easter candy? '~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2015 9:07 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 10:23:37 AM UTC-4, Casper wrote:
I'll have my peeps call your peeps to schedule a sit down to
discuss. ;-) DerbyDad03
Exactly!
Even the rents know about my peeps. ;-)
I'll 'member to keep my linds pulled! : )

You guys are getting too ingrained in the way kids talk on social
media...

Allwrite, Dude

No that should be ahh'ite.

Woodburners & flues Big Les Wade UK diy 43 November 26th 12 07:44 PM
Woodburners and CO dectectors ARW UK diy 22 November 6th 12 05:36 PM
woodburners lingalu Home Repair 3 August 12th 06 06:04 PM
Woodburners with boilers and rads Jeff Mowatt UK diy 3 February 6th 06 06:03 PM
Woodburners and dry lining 4-LOM UK diy 12 January 17th 04 01:06 PM