Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Drill attachment in place of chuck?

Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

John Doe fired this volley in news:mi1uoe
:

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

Mostly, it's consumer tool chucks that are threaded onto the spindle
nose.

Commercial metalworking tools usually use taper-mounted chucks. Common
among the tapers used is the Morse #2 taper.

If your chuck is taper-mounted in the spindle (not 'on' the spindle),
then _any_ tool having the same taper could be used in your spindle.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 2:36:47 AM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

Thanks.

And, continuing what Lloyd said, when the taper mounted drill is mounted its much steadier and stronger. It could also be cheaper, depending on how many different size drill bits you are going to use. But you need to go looking on the metal working side of the house.

One last thing, assuming your drill press does have a #2 Morse Taper, changing the bits will only require a slight tap with the a drift designed for your drill press, which is a wedged shaped of steel that slides in the slot on the quill and presses down on the end of the bit/taper.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:
Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

Thanks.

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...s-drill-564521
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:mi1uoe$iu4$1@dont-
email.me:

Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

That's a good question. I can't think of anything that would
be screwed onto a drill in place of the chuck, other than
another chuck.

Bigger drills use a morse taper rather than a screw on chuck.
There are thousands of things that have a morse taper, but
most of those are intended for lathes, milling machines, etc.
Larger sizes of drill bits can be had with morse taper shanks
for directly installing in drill press (quicker to change bits
that way, as compared to using a chuck).

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Most of the non-commercial attachments are made to be held by the chuck.
E.g., sanding disk.

As to your actual question ("...keyword to search for ...") - can't help.

Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 May 2015 04:43:51 -0700, Dr. Deb wrote:

One last thing, assuming your drill press does have a #2 Morse Taper,
changing the bits will only require a slight tap with the a drift
designed for your drill press, which is a wedged shaped of steel that
slides in the slot on the quill and presses down on the end of the
bit/taper.

I'm amazed that after 20 years or so, I've still got the drift that came
with my drill press - I used it once to see how it worked :-).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Most of the non-commercial attachments are made to be held by the
chuck. E.g., sanding disk.

As to your actual question ("...keyword to search for ...") - can't
help.

Bob

http://www.amazon.com/K-Tool-Interna.../dp/B000K1LI0A

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2015 3:35 AM, John Doe wrote:
Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

Thanks.

It might help if we knew just what machine the chuck is being removed
from...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

Thanks.

What exactly are you looking for and/or trying to do?

I have two drill presses in my shop that have never had a drill chuck on
them. They came out of the box and I installed tapping heads in them
instead. I have a third machine (a mill drill) that came to my shop used
with a drill chuck in it, but I immediately knocked the taper out and
installed an MT2-ER25 collet chuck instead.

So, anyway, are you saying that you You have a drill with a male threaded
spindle nose? What do you want to screw onto it? If its just a protector
for the threads I would suggest you identify the thread and find an all
thread coupler that size.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote

Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on
in place of the chuck.

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

What exactly are you looking for and/or trying to do?

What has been already readily understood by most reply authors in this
thread.

--

Thanks to the replies.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 May 2015 12:20:36 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I have two drill presses in my shop that have never had a drill chuck
on them. They came out of the box and I installed tapping heads in
them instead. I have a third machine (a mill drill) that came to my
shop used with a drill chuck in it, but I immediately knocked the
taper out and installed an MT2-ER25 collet chuck instead.

I need to look into a collet chuck for mine. I have a 3/4-inch shank
end mill bit that i have been wanting to try out

but nothing that's big enough to hold a 3/4-inch shank

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mi3dbc$tto$1
@dont-email.me:

On Sat, 2 May 2015 12:20:36 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I have two drill presses in my shop that have never had a drill chuck
on them. They came out of the box and I installed tapping heads in
them instead. I have a third machine (a mill drill) that came to my
shop used with a drill chuck in it, but I immediately knocked the
taper out and installed an MT2-ER25 collet chuck instead.

I need to look into a collet chuck for mine. I have a 3/4-inch shank
end mill bit that i have been wanting to try out

Not sure what you intend to do, but note that drill presses
do not care to have sideways loads applied. That's why
mill cutters are run in mills, not drill presses.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message

Ah, much better now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 May 2015 22:35:52 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

Not sure what you intend to do, but note that drill presses
do not care to have sideways loads applied. That's why

thanks for caring about my drill press so much

don't think it matters since it won't be a lot of pressure sideways

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Leon wrote in
:

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...-lithium-ion-c
ordless-drill-564521

Did you have to search, or were you waiting for an opportunity to mention
it? :-)

FWIW, Black & Decker has a similar unit in stores. I was totally
unimpressed with the one I got, the connection method looked reliable but
the motor and gear unit sounded terrible.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

Not sure what you intend to do, but note that drill presses
do not care to have sideways loads applied. That's why

thanks for caring about my drill press so much

don't think it matters since it won't be a lot of pressure sideways

Well - if you don't care for the input, or feel that you know better than
those providing the input - then why in the hell ask for it?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In the Delta, the entire spindle - from the morse affixed chuck up
through the cone pulleys. One extracts that full length and inserts
another that is a Tool holder - it attaches to the drill or attaches to
another tool. Dad had a third that attached to wood cutters. With a
nice rack on both sides of his wood table - he was able to make picture
frames without problems. Make moldings and other like work.

It was a multifunctional heavy duty drill press with three cones that
two belts were changed through for various speeds and torques.

It was stolen from my brothers wood shop while he was away instructing
in Tank school in Tenn. some years ago.

Martin

On 5/2/2015 2:35 AM, John Doe wrote:
Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

I just need a keyword to search for. Assuming it exists. Of course it
would be drill chuck thread specific.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mi3pd2$tto$2
@dont-email.me:

John McCoy wrote:

Not sure what you intend to do, but note that drill presses
do not care to have sideways loads applied. That's why

thanks for caring about my drill press so much

don't think it matters since it won't be a lot of pressure sideways

That was kind of my point - if you're just going up & down,
you're fine; that's what the drill press is designed to do.
If you want to use it like a mill, that's not such a good idea.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 May 2015 13:38:07 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

That was kind of my point - if you're just going up & down,
you're fine; that's what the drill press is designed to do.
If you want to use it like a mill, that's not such a good idea.

obviously

has anyone called you Major Obvious
or maybe General or Captain

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

That was kind of my point - if you're just going up & down,
you're fine; that's what the drill press is designed to do.
If you want to use it like a mill, that's not such a good idea.

obviously

has anyone called you Major Obvious
or maybe General or Captain

Most people think name calling is for grade schoolers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2015-05-02, John McCoy wrote:
John Doe wrote in news:mi1uoe$iu4$1@dont-
email.me:

Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

That's a good question. I can't think of anything that would
be screwed onto a drill in place of the chuck, other than
another chuck.

Well ... I have somewhere (or had somewhere) a device which fits
between the threaded chuck on a hand-held electric drill (called a
"drill motor") and the drill motor itself. It is a shaft, threaded male
on one end and female on the other, and it slides into a plastic housing
which tapers so you can grip it closer to the drill motor and the drill
bit can be retracted back into the housing. Its purpose is to use when
drilling overhead (ceiling, etc), where the six "feet" of the housing
hold the drill aproximately square to the surface, and it catches the
drillings to keep them from falling into your eyes.

I think that I used it once. :-)

And -- of course -- it only fit some of the drill motors which I
had. :-)

I could perhaps picture some kind of tapping head which would
replace the chuck, and which would have an extension to keep the body
from rotating relative to the drill motor. (Similar things, with Morse
taper adaptors, fit my drill press. The ones which I have are made by
TapMatic -- but I have never seen one with a thread to fit a drill
motor.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7 May 2015 03:54:45 GMT
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

the housing hold the drill aproximately square to the surface, and it
catches the drillings to keep them from falling into your eyes.

never seen one of these sounds like a little overkill but could be
useful

i have seen clear plastic collars attached to catch the drillings

I could perhaps picture some kind of tapping head which would
replace the chuck, and which would have an extension to keep the body
from rotating relative to the drill motor. (Similar things, with Morse

have never seen one but maybe they exist might need to be custom made

taper adaptors, fit my drill press. The ones which I have are made by
TapMatic -- but I have never seen one with a thread to fit a drill
motor.

my chuck is MT2 and now i wonder how the chuck is attached to the MT2
is it screw in or is it also an MT

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mifus7$28e$2
@dont-email.me:

my chuck is MT2 and now i wonder how the chuck is attached to the MT2
is it screw in or is it also an MT

I beleive chucks come one of two ways - either all one piece
("integral arbor") or with a Jacobs taper.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 May 2015 19:49:17 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

I beleive chucks come one of two ways - either all one piece
("integral arbor") or with a Jacobs taper.

this looks like it's two pieces

if it is two is it possible to separate them

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

I beleive chucks come one of two ways - either all one piece
("integral arbor") or with a Jacobs taper.

this looks like it's two pieces

if it is two is it possible to separate them

So there is the mt taper for going into the spindle,
and then they is usually but not always a J taper or sometimes other
tape for the MT arbor to the chuck.

There are wedges used to pop them apart. You can buy the reasonably.
They are meant to remove the part w/o destroying the chuck. The
pressure is put on the landing around the abor, not on the moveable ring
that tightens the chuck.

I think they can be had for around $16 ..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:25:23 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

So there is the mt taper for going into the spindle,
and then they is usually but not always a J taper or sometimes other
tape for the MT arbor to the chuck.

There are wedges used to pop them apart. You can buy the reasonably.
They are meant to remove the part w/o destroying the chuck. The
pressure is put on the landing around the abor, not on the moveable
ring that tightens the chuck.

I think they can be had for around $16 ..

do the wedges go inside the chuck jaws

looking at the chuck that is my best guess

this drill press was a tool rescue
it was outdoors
it had fallen face first at some point

i cleaned the MT2 as it was falling out and could not get a
firm purchase

but i want to dismantle the chuck end and clean it also

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mij2as$2j3$4
@dont-email.me:

woodchucker wrote:

So there is the mt taper for going into the spindle,
and then they is usually but not always a J taper or sometimes other
tape for the MT arbor to the chuck.

There are wedges used to pop them apart. You can buy the reasonably.
They are meant to remove the part w/o destroying the chuck. The
pressure is put on the landing around the abor, not on the moveable
ring that tightens the chuck.

I think they can be had for around $16 ..

do the wedges go inside the chuck jaws

looking at the chuck that is my best guess

this drill press was a tool rescue
it was outdoors
it had fallen face first at some point

i cleaned the MT2 as it was falling out and could not get a
firm purchase

but i want to dismantle the chuck end and clean it also

You don't want to do what you're wanting to do. Jacobs
taper really don't want to be taken apart.

But anyway - the wedges go between the top of the chuck and
the shoulder on the arbor - assuming there is a shoulder on
the arbor, which there often isn't.

If there's no shoulder on the arbor, you turn the chuck
upside down and drill a big hole in the end, and use a
drift to drive the arbor out. Or better yet, a hydraulic
press.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look for a screw of some sort in the throat of the chuck.
Might be there and if there - take it out and then you can
extract the chuck off the arbor.

Martin

John McCoy wrote:

I beleive chucks come one of two ways - either all one piece
("integral arbor") or with a Jacobs taper.

this looks like it's two pieces

if it is two is it possible to separate them

So there is the mt taper for going into the spindle,
and then they is usually but not always a J taper or sometimes other
tape for the MT arbor to the chuck.

There are wedges used to pop them apart. You can buy the reasonably.
They are meant to remove the part w/o destroying the chuck. The
pressure is put on the landing around the abor, not on the moveable ring
that tightens the chuck.

I think they can be had for around $16 ..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/15 9:38 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Look for a screw of some sort in the throat of the chuck.
Might be there and if there - take it out and then you can
extract the chuck off the arbor.

Martin

And often these screws are reverse thread (lefty tighty, righty loosy)

-BR

John McCoy wrote:

I beleive chucks come one of two ways - either all one piece
("integral arbor") or with a Jacobs taper.

this looks like it's two pieces

if it is two is it possible to separate them

So there is the mt taper for going into the spindle,
and then they is usually but not always a J taper or sometimes other
tape for the MT arbor to the chuck.

There are wedges used to pop them apart. You can buy the reasonably.
They are meant to remove the part w/o destroying the chuck. The
pressure is put on the landing around the abor, not on the moveable ring
that tightens the chuck.

I think they can be had for around $16 ..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 22:38:14 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Look for a screw of some sort in the throat of the chuck.
Might be there and if there - take it out and then you can
extract the chuck off the arbor.

i fear it will be rusted tight but maybe i will get lucky
i fear it will be a philips head

will found out today

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Look for a screw of some sort in the throat of the chuck.
Might be there and if there - take it out and then you can
extract the chuck off the arbor.

i fear it will be rusted tight but maybe i will get lucky
i fear it will be a philips head

will found out today

Be mindful of the direction to turn the retainer screw or bolt,
especially of it is a Philips head screw.

Most likely in the normal direction but for future reference,

Just remember that the screw tightens in the opposite direction that the
drill spins to drill a hole. To loosen turn in the direction that the
drill normally spins. Just like most anything that retains a spinning
object.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

So there is the mt taper for going into the spindle,
and then they is usually but not always a J taper or sometimes other
tape for the MT arbor to the chuck.

you were correct about the J taper it looked like MT3 but
regardless I got that free from the chuck as there was a hole in the
top of the chuck and it was easy to use a punch inside the chuck jaws

my next step was to dismantle the chuck
i bored a hole in a 2x4 and tried to press the piece apart but the
2x4 wasn't hard enough and did not survive so i need to try some
harder wood

found some good instructions albeit conflicting about whether or
not jaws should be closed or half way, etc.

i tried the half way suggestion