Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wipe on Gel Stain

There was a company that went our of business (Mastercraft) that sold wipe-on gel/poly all-in-one stains in different colors. I am trying to find any company that supplies something like that. I tried Minwax's black gel stain but it is way too glossy.

Can anyone point me in a direction? Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 2:44:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
There was a company that went our of business (Mastercraft) that sold wipe-on gel/poly all-in-one stains in different colors. I am trying to find any company that supplies something like that. I tried Minwax's black gel stain but it is way too glossy.

Can anyone point me in a direction? Thanks.

There are a few offerings of the Mastercraft product available on eBay. There are also some other brands of urethane based gel stains available.

BTW...this is an interesting read on the use of gel stains. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNP.../011158060.pdf
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have been using Old Master's gel stains for many. They work well for me, dry in a reasonable amount of time and don't muddy when a top coat is applied. As a bonus, they are the only one I have found that i have had success using when I was staining fiberglass doors to look like wood.

They are very predictable to work with as long as you stir the container WELL before using it. OM is usually available at paint stores and even some of the upper end hardware stores.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:
I have been using Old Master's gel stains for many. They work well for
me, dry in a reasonable amount of time and don't muddy when a top coat is
applied. As a bonus, they are the only one I have found that i have had
success using when I was staining fiberglass doors to look like wood.

They are very predictable to work with as long as you stir the container
WELL before using it. OM is usually available at paint stores and even
some of the upper end hardware stores.

Robert

I second nailshooters comment. I have almost exclusively been using gel
stains as well as gel varnishes since since 1989.
Almost all of the gel stain brands that I have used, Bartleys, Lawrence
McFadden, General Finishes, Verithane, Minwax, and OldMasters have a degree
of a varnish of some sort mixed in. So for me all have dried with some
amount of sheen, unlike most liquid stains. With gels you have low
penetration so they need some type of sealer to insure that the clear top
coat does not wash the stain away.
Don't depend on the gel stain to be the top final coat, it will need to
have layers of a clear top coat and the last cleat layer will determine the
amount of sheen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 21:32:06 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

They are very predictable to work with as long as you stir the
container WELL before using it. OM is usually available at paint
stores and even some of the upper end hardware stores.

i have never used a gell stain
what are the constituents

does it dry completey or does it rub off if no additional
coat is applied

I wonder what the gel part consists od

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

They are very predictable to work with as long as you stir the
container WELL before using it. OM is usually available at paint
stores and even some of the upper end hardware stores.

i have never used a gell stain
what are the constituents

does it dry completey or does it rub off if no additional
coat is applied

I wonder what the gel part consists od

DAGS.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...es/gel-stains/

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

They are very predictable to work with as long as you stir the
container WELL before using it. OM is usually available at paint
stores and even some of the upper end hardware stores.

i have never used a gell stain
what are the constituents

does it dry completey or does it rub off if no additional
coat is applied

I wonder what the gel part consists od

Holy crap...is that a capital "I"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

Not a jell, but how about polyshades or Varathane stain and poly in
one. Tecnically more of a "toner" than a stain, but work pretty well.

I used Polyshades once when a client insisted. Never again. Horrible
coverage and opacity.

Yea, I totally agree. Never again.
you can't shortcut the work like that.
maybe spraying but not brushing or wiping.

--
Jeff

Wipe On Gel Varnish Fritz Woodworking 5 February 22nd 07 11:36 PM
Wipe on poly -- wipe off stain? Richard Cranium Woodworking 7 July 16th 06 02:33 PM
OT- Wipe Out D Steck Woodworking 10 September 23rd 05 04:30 PM
Wipe- on preferences C & M Woodworking 12 May 27th 05 06:49 AM
Is Wipe-On Poly Okay? Wade Lippman Woodworking 7 November 18th 03 04:26 PM