Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can Someone ID This Plane

I suppose it's a plane. The pic is somewhat poor, as I see it. There's no description, on the site, for this item.... at a local auction, Saturday.
http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2320502/fp4.cgi

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 16:53:17 -0700, Sonny wrote:

I suppose it's a plane. The pic is somewhat poor, as I see it. There's
no description, on the site, for this item.... at a local auction,
Saturday.
http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2320502/fp4.cgi

Sonny

Looks like somebody bronzed it :-).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 7:53 PM, Sonny wrote:
I suppose it's a plane. The pic is somewhat poor, as I see it. There's no description, on the site, for this item.... at a local auction, Saturday.
http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2320502/fp4.cgi

Sonny

Looks a lot like these pics of a Stanley 113 compass
plane:http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=155349

No telling what's under that gold paint though, it may be covering a
good deal of rust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message ...

On 4/16/2015 7:53 PM, Sonny wrote:
I suppose it's a plane. The pic is somewhat poor, as I see it. There's
no description, on the site, for this item.... at a local auction,
Saturday.
http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2320502/fp4.cgi

Sonny

Looks a lot like these pics of a Stanley 113 compass
plane:http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=155349

No telling what's under that gold paint though, it may be covering a good
deal of rust.

Reminds me of an old guy I knew many years ago... He used to paint stuff
with a flat yellow paint that he referred to as "preservative" when people
came by to buy stuff out of his yard... All it did was cover up how bad the
stuff really was! He used to make hard cider, pickles, pickled eggs,
pickled pigs feet, etc. He also maintained a huge garden that was tended
completely by hand. He originally lived outside of town but development
encroached so his little subsistence farm was suddenly surrounded by
civilization. Despite that he continued his ways right up to the end.
Younger relatives moved in and got rid of all his "stuff" and did away with
the garden.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 9:28:35 PM UTC-5, Larry Kraus wrote:

Looks a lot like these pics of a Stanley 113 compass
plane:http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=155349

No telling what's under that gold paint though, it may be covering a
good deal of rust.

I think you're right, now that I see a compass plane. As per the pic (condition), if I can buy it for $10 or less, I will.

Thanks.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 9:44:05 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Reminds me of an old guy I knew many years ago... He used to paint stuff
with a flat yellow paint that he referred to as "preservative" when people
came by to buy stuff out of his yard... All it did was cover up how bad the
stuff really was!

At one time, I shopped for scafolds, on Craigslist. Some of those scaffold sellers painted their scaffolds yellow, covering up rust, concrete that was dried on them, dirt that was still clumped on them, etc.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
[...]

If the guy was masking the condition of his tools, how confident could you be about the consumables that he selling? I'd wonder what was hiding in those jugs of cider and jars of pickles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Get a cop of Jane's All the World's Aircraft. They have every plane in
there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
On 4/16/2015 7:53 PM, Sonny wrote:
I suppose it's a plane. The pic is somewhat poor, as I see it. There's
no description, on the site, for this item.... at a local auction,
Saturday.
http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2320502/fp4.cgi

Sonny

Looks a lot like these pics of a Stanley 113 compass
plane:http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=155349

No telling what's under that gold paint though, it may be covering a good
deal of rust.

I would agree that it's a Stanley compass. My suspicion would be that this
has spent a long time in water. Difficult to tell from pic.
Nick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

[...]

I was a kid, and I lived.... ;~)