Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Test Is Done

Some time ago was looking for input from the group about how best
to clean some BBQ grill grates.

Harbor Freight was the tool source and the results are in.

First a little background. The grill grates are cast iron complete
with a porcelainized coating.

For all you BBQ aficionados out there, those grates lay down
some mean grill marks.

The drill motors tested were an 18 VDC, 3/8" drill, and a 120VAC,
3,000 RPM, corded drill.

The brushes tested were an 80 grit, 3" dia, nylon abrasive, 1/4"
shank wheel and an 80 grit, 2" dia, nylon abrasive, 1/4" shank
cup brush.

Wire wheel and cup brushes were specifically excluded since they
might damage the porcelain coating.

The results.

The 18 VDC motor simply operated at too low and RPM to be effective
and it also did not store enough energy to get the job done.

The 120 VAC, 3,000 RPM was more than adequate for the task.

Either of the brushes got the job done, but I preferred the cup brush.

Took about half an hour to clean the grates and restore them to
factory finish.

Once cleaned, time for an in service test.

Just happened to have a rack of baby backs in the fridge, smothered
in dry rub for 48 hours, waiting for a hot grill.

That was also another great test.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Would Easy-Off spray work? Probably not good on bare metal but on
porcelain it possibly would dissolve the gunk.

--
 GW Ross

 PEDICU Bicycle repair.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/13/2015 05:11 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

I clean my cast iron cookware including BBQ cast iron grates (bare
metal) by putting them in the oven on self clean. They come out with
zero gunk, but a white ash coating. A little wire brush work and
reseasoning with several coats of flax oil and they look like they have
a porcelain finish.

I only do this if the seasoning breaks down and I can't get the gunk off
with a damp rag or a grill brush in the case of BBQ grates- maybe every
3-5 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Some time ago was looking for input from the group about how best
to clean some BBQ grill grates.

snip
"G. Ross" wrote:

Would Easy-Off spray work? Probably not good on bare metal but on
porcelain it possibly would dissolve the gunk.

Possibly, but can think of several reasons why I wouldn't want to try.

The gunk is basically semi dry carbon and chips away with relative
ease
which can then be swept up and tossed.

Easy-Off would create a wet mess making for an interesting clean up.

There is a lot of sheet metal in the area which could come in
accidental
contact with the Easy-Off.

Assume the grill grates would reach a high enough temperature to
totally oxidize any Easy-Off residue but I don't know.

Too many negatives for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:11:42 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Some time ago was looking for input from the group about how best
to clean some BBQ grill grates.

Harbor Freight was the tool source and the results are in.

First a little background. The grill grates are cast iron complete
with a porcelainized coating.

Would Easy-Off spray work? Probably not good on bare metal but on
porcelain it possibly would dissolve the gunk.

Put them in a trash bag with a pint of ammonia. Come back the next
day and just rinse away the gunk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Put them in a trash bag with a pint of ammonia. Come back the next
day and just rinse away the gunk.

Where were you when this project was starting?G

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:552c5975$0$44204
:

*snip*

Once cleaned, time for an in service test.

Just happened to have a rack of baby backs in the fridge, smothered
in dry rub for 48 hours, waiting for a hot grill.

That was also another great test.

Lew

Yum! Add some iced tea and maybe some sides of choice and you've got a
fantastic test!

I've got a some boneless country style pork ribs in the freezer. They're
just waiting for me to fire up the grill. I like to refer to them as
"food that makes you sorry you already ate dinner."

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Yum! Add some iced tea and maybe some sides of choice and you've
got a
fantastic test!

I've got a some boneless country style pork ribs in the freezer.
They're
just waiting for me to fire up the grill. I like to refer to them
as
"food that makes you sorry you already ate dinner."

If you're interested, contact me off list for my version of
"Lew's Country Ribs."

Easier to do in oven rather than grill unless you can hold your grill
in the 250F-275F range for 3-4 hours

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Yum! Add some iced tea and maybe some sides of choice
and you've
got a
fantastic test!

I've got a some boneless country style pork ribs in the
freezer.
They're
just waiting for me to fire up the grill. I like to
refer to them
as
"food that makes you sorry you already ate dinner."

If you're interested, contact me off list for my version
of
"Lew's Country Ribs."

Easier to do in oven rather than grill unless you can hold
your grill
in the 250F-275F range for 3-4 hours

Lew

250-275?
Not here in Tejas 200-225...low and slow, da only way to go
: 0

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Yum! Add some iced tea and maybe some sides of choice
and you've
got a
fantastic test!

I've got a some boneless country style pork ribs in the
freezer.
They're
just waiting for me to fire up the grill. I like to
refer to them
as
"food that makes you sorry you already ate dinner."

If you're interested, contact me off list for my version
of
"Lew's Country Ribs."

Easier to do in oven rather than grill unless you can hold
your grill
in the 250F-275F range for 3-4 hours

Lew

Oh and also use the 3 2 1 method
3 hours on smoker, 2 hrs in foil and the last hour unwrapped
on smoker

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote in news:NL2Xw.555434$Ak4.201673
@fx03.iad:

250-275?
Not here in Tejas 200-225...low and slow, da only way to go
: 0

In July, that's only a few degrees above air temperature. Just set it out
on the driveway. ;-)

Better make more than you need for the critters you don't want to scare

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

AFCI test rig and test design Robert Green Home Repair 16 July 18th 13 08:12 AM
Test, Willie, Test Meat Plow[_6_] Electronics Repair 1 June 12th 11 05:21 AM
Test Red Green Home Repair 1 November 25th 09 05:22 AM
FWW Cabinet Saw Test [2/3] - "FWW Cabinet Saw Test.pdf.par2" yEnc (1/1) BobS Woodworking 1 August 25th 05 03:36 AM
FWW Cabinet Saw Test [1/3] - "FWW Cabinet Saw Test.pdf" yEnc (1/5) D Steck Woodworking 0 August 24th 05 11:52 PM