Posted to rec.woodworking

Default tenon, back, dovetail, mitre hand saw

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 5:59:33 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:21:04 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

...which is the point I've been trying to make all along. Since you
now seem to agree with me, I assume you no longer consider me to be
unscrupulous.

I consider anyone trying to deceive buyers to be unscrupulous
some on ebay do so but may not even realize they are but that still
doesn't excuse them from saying they're unsure about the product

there are sellers that will take dark photos on purpose
there are sellers that will not show a defect
these are bad sellers

there are sellers that do their best to reveal all and provide
photos so the buyer can decide
they answer questions

Thank you for answering a question that was not asked.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:38:14 -0700 (PDT)
whit3rd wrote:

Silver steel is an old (or British) name for tool steel, i.e.
hardenable high-carbon steel, O1 or A2 are typical.

i guess that explains the lack of rust

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.
Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote:

Silver steel is an old (or British) name for tool steel, i.e.
hardenable high-carbon steel, O1 or A2 are typical.

i guess that explains the lack of rust

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.

And FWIW certain grades of Stainless will rust too, especially those
that a magnet will stick to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:11:56 GMT
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.

was a question

what's your answer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2015 10:16 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:11:56 GMT
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.

was a question

Really? Looks more like a deduction.

i guess that explains the lack of rust

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 10:51:01 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.

what's your explanation would like to hear it

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:50:23 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank you for answering a question that was not asked.

it's an answer you have to find if you can't you can't
i gave some criteria apply them and see where you are there

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:11:56 GMT
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.

was a question

"i guess that explains the lack of rust"

isn't a question, it's a supposition.

what's your answer

If a handsaw blade hasn't rusted, it's been treated well.

Quality cutting tools aren't made from stainless steel, primarily
because of the poor edge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:25:55 GMT
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

If a handsaw blade hasn't rusted, it's been treated well.

or made in low O2 environment or lots of other possibilities since
steel making is complicated and the issue is more complicated when
you throw in something made long ago where the technique was only
know by few people including the alloy's composition
i.e. did they add special ingredients

It's difficult to comprehend the sense of long run-on sentences.

It would help you to convey your information more successfully
if you were to use basic grammar, capitalization and sentence structure
when formulating your pronouncements.

It appears that you're suggesting that the formulation of steel used
for cutting tools in the 20th century was some sort of mystery, which
is pretty far from reality.

As Leon pointed out, even stainless can show corrosion effects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank you for answering a question that was not asked.

it's an answer you have to find if you can't you can't
i gave some criteria apply them and see where you are there

Thank you for another clearly written response.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2015 11:13 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 10:51:01 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Why would you think that? It's high-carbon
steel, not stainless.

what's your explanation would like to hear it

I have no explanation. I was just pointing out what seemed to be a
deductive statement, made by you, was what I thought you later said was
a question. Using punctuation might have make your comments a bit more
clear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:49:24 GMT
(Scott Lurndal) wrote:

It appears that you're suggesting that the formulation of steel used
for cutting tools in the 20th century was some sort of mystery, which
is pretty far from reality.

give some data

tell us all what was used in the alloy for the silver steel saw the other
post mentioned

include also how the saw was made using that silver steel

It appears you are only participating in this thread in
order to appear argumentative. I decline further participation.

Do your own research if you wish to learn the answers. I will
point out that there is a wikipedia entry on silver steel that
you may actually learn something from.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank you for answering a question that was not asked.

it's an answer you have to find if you can't you can't
i gave some criteria apply them and see where you are there

I can you are frustrating some folks (not me particularly) my ignoring
common rules of grammar. We are not texting. Why deliberately make
messages difficult to understand for people from whom you might enjoy
assistance in the future? Even if you are not an expert in grammar, nor
am I, at least you could capitalize the first word of each sentence and
use a period (.) at the end of each sentence. I hope that helps you in life.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saws - "Interesting" finds on Ebay

Buyer bewa

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-STY...em41759d 8b6e

From Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...saw-94722.html

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-JAPANE...em41759d 802e

From Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-f...saw-39273.html

Maybe this is a common Ebay tactic; buy stuff at HF, try to sell it on
Ebay for 3x to 4x the price? Hey, maybe they don't even buy them first;
if they get 15 orders, it's off to HF to buy 15 saws.

At eight bucks, I bought the first one (at HF). I only made a couple of
test cuts so far. I think it will turn out to be useful. I was able to
make a clean straight cut without too much difficulty. The toughest
thing to wrap my mind around was not cutting onthe "pull stroke", but
that I had to start the groove by pushing the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 3:03:37 PM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:
Buyer bewa

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-STY...em41759d 8b6e

From Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...saw-94722.html

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-JAPANE...em41759d 802e

From Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-f...saw-39273.html

Maybe this is a common Ebay tactic; buy stuff at HF, try to sell it on
Ebay for 3x to 4x the price? Hey, maybe they don't even buy them first;
if they get 15 orders, it's off to HF to buy 15 saws.

At eight bucks, I bought the first one (at HF). I only made a couple of
test cuts so far. I think it will turn out to be useful. I was able to
make a clean straight cut without too much difficulty. The toughest
thing to wrap my mind around was not cutting onthe "pull stroke", but
that I had to start the groove by pushing the saw.

Never mind Buyer Beware, it's more like Buyer Be Idiot.

The eBay descriptions for the saws include the HF part number:

HFT-94722
HFT-39273
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 3:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 3:03:37 PM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:
Buyer bewa

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-STY...em41759d 8b6e

From Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...saw-94722.html

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-JAPANE...em41759d 802e

From Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-f...saw-39273.html

Maybe this is a common Ebay tactic; buy stuff at HF, try to sell it on
Ebay for 3x to 4x the price? Hey, maybe they don't even buy them first;
if they get 15 orders, it's off to HF to buy 15 saws.

At eight bucks, I bought the first one (at HF). I only made a couple of
test cuts so far. I think it will turn out to be useful. I was able to
make a clean straight cut without too much difficulty. The toughest
thing to wrap my mind around was not cutting onthe "pull stroke", but
that I had to start the groove by pushing the saw.

Never mind Buyer Beware, it's more like Buyer Be Idiot.

The eBay descriptions for the saws include the HF part number:

HFT-94722
HFT-39273

I saw that. But it wasn't very conspicuous, nor was it obvious what it
meant. While I agree that people need to be on the lookout for ripoffs,
and I knew those were Harbor Freight saws; not everyone is knowledgeable
about everything.

On a related note, I see Bosch router motors for sale on ebay for very
little less than I recently paid for the same motor with two bases and a
case.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:03:34 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

Buyer bewa

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-STY...em41759d 8b6e

From Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...saw-94722.html

On Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-JAPANE...em41759d 802e

From Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-f...saw-39273.html

Maybe this is a common Ebay tactic; buy stuff at HF, try to sell it on
Ebay for 3x to 4x the price? Hey, maybe they don't even buy them first;
if they get 15 orders, it's off to HF to buy 15 saws.

Quite a few E-Bay sellers sell what they don't own, and go pick up
what they sell. Others just order from their supplier and drop ship to
the buyer - they never even see the product.

At eight bucks, I bought the first one (at HF). I only made a couple of
test cuts so far. I think it will turn out to be useful. I was able to
make a clean straight cut without too much difficulty. The toughest
thing to wrap my mind around was not cutting onthe "pull stroke", but
that I had to start the groove by pushing the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 4:32 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/16/2015 3:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The eBay descriptions for the saws include the HF part number:

HFT-94722
HFT-39273

I saw that. But it wasn't very conspicuous, nor was it obvious what it
meant. While I agree that people need to be on the lookout for ripoffs,
and I knew those were Harbor Freight saws; not everyone is knowledgeable
about everything.

I once needed a cheap Jacobs Chuck for my lathe. I found one on Amazon
for cheap. It was delivered in a box with Harbor Freight numbers. I
looked it up and could have got it cheaper at HF, with no shipping. The
guy selling it through Amazon obviously got them through HF and sold it
to me. I had to smile, thinking good job buddy, you got me.

BTW, the chuck works just fine, one of those HF things worth the money.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2015 11:58 PM, WD wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:03:34 -0400, Greg Guarino wrote:

Buyer bewa

On Ebay: snip for bevity

Since last year was searching for 4 levelers for a new tablesaw
extension/assemble table. Found one in Rockler at $25.99 each plus tax and
shipping. Too damn expensive, decided not to buy. Maybe fabricate them when I
come to it.

http://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-lifting-leveler

Last week browsing in Internet found an exact identical leveler in Woodworker's
Hardware at $4.72 each. Called the salesperson to verify everything in the
picture and not just the screw bolt without the bracket. He replied everything
in the picture. Bought 8 pcs plus few other items and total shipping charges
came to $11.99. However total weight is 4.40 lbs. for 8 sets plus other items
should weight more, right?

http://www.wwhardware.com/heavy-duty...ygheavy-m10x75

The package will arrive next Friday 30th April, wait and see and post the
result. :-)

That's a certainly a better price from Woodworker's Hardware, but the
Rockler link does say the $25.99 price is for a set of 4.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Just noticed the WW Hardware item is rated for 2000 pounds (yikes!), vs
Rockler's at 600 lbs. Must have some substantial mounting screws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

WD wrote:
[...]

McMaster Carr has those leveling feet for $14.91 a 4 pack with screws.
That's where I buy them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

And yet if this particular leveling foot is mounted correctly the screws
offer little more other than to keep the foot assy. from falling off of
the cabinet. A lot like Euro hinge screws that hold the door onto the
35mm cup.
But that said, I seriously doubt if the weight capacities actually
differ as much as stated. These style leveling feet are pretty robust,
I think many are rated as a set and some individually. All of them
appear to be made of the same material and design. It is pretty likely
that if you build it and can lift it these particular feet can handle it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2015 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
It is pretty likely that if you build it and can lift it these
particular feet can handle it.

That's probably the best rule of thumb. (McMaster-Carr under rates
them at 100 lb.)

Need to make up a shopping list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2015 11:58 PM, WD wrote:
[...]

No, sounds about right for the 8 pcs. They are stamped steel and a
screw. Nothing too fancy. So about a 1/2 pound each sounds right. Don't
know what else you got so can't say. But that sounds about right.

Yea, I saw rocklers and always thought are they made out of gold.
I make my own from TNuts and bolts with the heads sanded down.

--
Jeff