Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Second unit done, project done!

Outdoor photos this time, so better light and color rendition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2014 5:12 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Outdoor photos this time, so better light and color rendition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.

Outstanding Greg, and I am certain you learned loads along the way.

Looks great!
Posted to rec.woodworking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...644207411490/l
ightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.

Not too shabby at all, Greg.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2014 6:12 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Outdoor photos this time, so better light and color rendition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.

Good job, looks nice.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 12/26/2014 6:12 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Outdoor photos this time, so better light and color rendition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.

Good job, looks nice.

Yep, it looks real nice!

Cheers,
Bill from IN

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 26, 2014 5:12:42 PM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:
Outdoor photos this time, so better light and color rendition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.

I don't recall having proffered any help tips, but it's been just as good a spectating *sport, as a participating *sport. I think I learned a something or two, along the way, also.

I don't often stain a project, but I have used dyes occassionally, so I paid attention to that staining advice you received. Your "coloring" is nice and even, throughout. I sense I'd like to try that kind of staining, as compared to some of my past dying results.

Good job, and not with JUST the staining.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 5:58:51 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
I sense I'd like to try that kind of staining, as compared to some of my past dying results.

Yeah, and dyeing results, too.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 26, 2014 9:04:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 12/26/2014 5:12 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Outdoor photos this time, so better light and color rendition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.

Outstanding Greg, and I am certain you learned loads along the way.

Looks great!

I did learn a good deal; techniques to use again, and pitfalls to avoid.

I asked back when the project was just a Sketchup drawing if the design was likely to "rack" with weight on the shelves. All the storage I've built in the past was seriously overbuilt: all 3/4" ply, dadoes,full back screwed into every shelf, face frame. Several of you said that this somewhat more "open" design should be plenty strong, and it seems to be.

Also courtesy of the wRec, I learned that shaving a "flat" onto the dowels would make the assembly easier. That was a very handy bit of info on a project with 224 dowels.

On my own I discovered that gloppy stuff like gel stain can pose a problem on work with lots of inside corners. Despite the fact that the sides of this project consisted of 40 pieces 9" long, I really should have prefinished them, or perhaps chosen a different method.

I learned how to make better mitered corners than I have ever made before. I also learned that even my best attempt yet falls short of perfection. On the flip-side, I have also learned that most people (other than the builder) tend not to notice the imperfections.

Another wRec contribution was that a random orbit sander can be used to sand face-frame-style joints flush, followed perhaps by a finish sander with finer grits, avoiding going over the line as much as possible.

This was the first project that I paid significant attention to grain. I don't have a jointer or a planer, and my schedule makes it difficult to get to hardwood dealer when they are open for business. (That's on my to-do list for the future though - take a day off and buy better-quality wood) I did however go through the entire stock of a local Lowe's, picking the 8 red oak 1x3s that had the straightest grain from among the 50 or so pieces they had. Being the nice fellow I am, I put the rest back in the rack. For the 1x2s I settled for straight and not twisted.

I made my second attempt at pattern routing, which allows a guy with limited tools to add a tiny bit of flair to an otherwise straight-line sort of project. And I learned that, even though the template had the full curve, it was better to flip the piece around for the second "half" of the curve to avoid routing against the grain.

I think I'm *starting* to learn to apply the proper amount of glue, the first time, rather than have to add more in the sparse areas and remove gobs from the overdone areas. I also think I'm getting to know when the squeeze-out is ready to be pared away.

During this project I greatly improved my Sketchup skills, which means I can now quickly and efficiently draw things that will take me nearly forever to actually build.

I learned that the use of an impact driver - now nearly ubiquitous on TV and Youtube - carries with it the possibility of driving the point of the pocket screw through the face of the second piece, especially when you're doing the work in a contorted position and are thus eager to finish quickly.

In a related lesson, I learned how to fill the blemish with a matching color.

However, I also learned - at least most of the time - to call it a day when I felt like I was getting fatigued and thus careless. There are few advantages to being a hobbyist with limited resources, but that's one of them: no deadline. Better to continue when I can apply my full attention.

Continuing on that theme, I've learned that there are lots of ways to do something; the days that come between my short bouts of work often yield a better idea as I turn the next step around in my head. The final glue-up and assembly of the second unit was much more efficient than the first.

I've learned that even less-than-fine tools can be made more accurate with some time and effort, and that the time and effort will be rewarded with less frustration later on. But then the damn floor will be out of whack.

The concept of jigs is now much more a part of my mindset. With so many repetitive tasks, it was practically unavoidable. But besides the efficiency, I feel much more confident in the results.

And maybe the most important thing I've learned when I step back and look at this result is that a couple of years ago I'd have judged this project as out of my reach. I'm aware that it would be pretty rudimentary for many people here, but everyone starts somewhere. So when I see designs that are "out of reach" now, I figure maybe - just maybe - they won't be forever.

Thanks again to all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 6:58:51 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, December 26, 2014 5:12:42 PM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:
Outdoor photos this time, so better light and color rendition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

Thanks to all for help along the way.

I don't recall having proffered any help tips, but it's been just as good a spectating *sport, as a participating *sport. I think I learned a something or two, along the way, also.

Absolutely. After oohing and ahhing, I almost always find myself asking how some particular detail was accomplished on the projects I see posted here. Problem solving is great fun, but sometimes it's OK to accept that the wheel has already been designed.

I don't often stain a project, but I have used dyes occassionally, so I paid attention to that staining advice you received. Your "coloring" is nice and even, throughout.

Less so than you might imagine - photos hide a multitude of sins - but it's not bad. Still nothing like the sample in the store though. Make lots of test pieces, and make them as big as you can afford to. Moreover, make sure your test pieces include the different kinds of grain that will show on your project. There's another lesson I learned. The color looks a heck of a lot darker where the oak grain lines are close together than it does where they are far apart.

I sense I'd like to try that kind of staining, as compared to some of my past dying results.

I guess you can get better at anything with practice, but "dying" is something most of us only do once.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 7:02:38 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, December 27, 2014 5:58:51 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
I sense I'd like to try that kind of staining, as compared to some of my past dying results.

Yeah, and dyeing results, too.

Sonny

Yup. Sorry for the spelling joke, but I couldn't resist.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/27/2014 10:15 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Well done!

[...]

Welcome to the wRec ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 12/27/2014 10:15 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Well done!

Yep, I really enjoyed reading the post too. A few good lessons tucked
in there!

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thanks for the recap Greg~ ;~)
One day you won't even thing about the things you have learned, you will
naturally just do it the best way to begin with, and that really speeds
production.