Old December 23rd 14, 08:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default I hate plumbing repairs part II and don't get married

On 12/22/2014 8:29 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

They aren't hosted in North Korea, are they?

Hear tell that North Korea has a single dialup connection ...

(wait for it)

.... through AOL.

Actually, last time I looked there were only +/- 1000 active ip
addresses in the entire country, so your average script kiddie could
bring their entire internet before breakfast.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Old December 23rd 14, 11:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 12:04:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/23/2014 8:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:hq6mw.427817$O76.426475
@fx15.iad:

Keep egg shells out of most [disposers]. The thin shell jams the spinning cutter.

Nonsense. Running egg shells down a garbage disposer is one of the classic methods of
cleaning them (the others being coffee grounds, ice cubes, and orange peels).

An eggshell is far too fragile to jam a disposer.

Unless you're dumping ostrich eggs in your disposer, maybe...

You are correct that it won't jam the disposal, but too much can clog
the drain. We just put the coffee grounds on the compost pile or in the
trash, same with egg shells.

Whatever you put down the disposal requires copious amounts of water
to flush it down the pipe.
Old December 24th 14, 03:49 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/2014 1:10 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/22/2014 8:29 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

They aren't hosted in North Korea, are they?

Hear tell that North Korea has a single dialup connection ...

(wait for it)

... through AOL.

Actually, last time I looked there were only +/- 1000 active ip
addresses in the entire country, so your average script kiddie could
bring their entire internet before breakfast.

So one university computer has an IP and the "students" are on
terminals. Easy as that.

Martin
Old December 24th 14, 03:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/2014 7:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:hq6mw.427817$O76.426475
@fx15.iad:

Keep egg shells out of most [disposers]. The thin shell jams the spinning cutter.

Nonsense. Running egg shells down a garbage disposer is one of the classic methods of
cleaning them (the others being coffee grounds, ice cubes, and orange peels).

An eggshell is far too fragile to jam a disposer.

Unless you're dumping ostrich eggs in your disposer, maybe...

Hum - my 3HP auto reversing unit states that egg shells can slip
along the edge of the spinning disk and do a jam fit.

I've seen one that was done that way and a 15" wrench onto the Allen
just bent the Allen wrench. It is akin to a dime in a door jam - maybe
a penny. Can't open the door since it needs to move in a radius and is
stopped.

Martin
Old December 24th 14, 02:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:CUpmw.681460$Hb3.179756
@fx03.iad:

On 12/23/2014 7:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:hq6mw.427817$O76.426475
@fx15.iad:

Keep egg shells out of most [disposers]. The thin shell jams the spinning cutter.

Nonsense. Running egg shells down a garbage disposer is one of the classic methods

of
cleaning them (the others being coffee grounds, ice cubes, and orange peels).

An eggshell is far too fragile to jam a disposer.

Unless you're dumping ostrich eggs in your disposer, maybe...

Hum - my 3HP auto reversing unit states that egg shells can slip
along the edge of the spinning disk

I doubt it. The eccentricity of an eggshell makes that pretty unlikely for all but the tiniest
fragments of shell.

and do a jam fit.

I doubt that too. Geometry argues against it, and so does the fragility of an eggshell.

I've seen one that was done that way and a 15" wrench onto the Allen
just bent the Allen wrench. It is akin to a dime in a door jam - maybe
a penny. Can't open the door since it needs to move in a radius and is
stopped.

I'm calling bull**** on this. There's no way an eggshell jammed a disposer tight enough to
bend a steel wrench. Eggshells just aren't that strong. There must have been something
else in there besides, maybe a fragment of bone.

Old December 24th 14, 05:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/24/2014 8:17 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Eggshells jamming a disposal would defeat the phrase "walking on
eggshells".

I agree, I cannot nor will not accept the argument of an eggshell's
ability to jam a disposal. If so, I would have had jams continuously for
the past several decades since I always throw eggshells in the disposal
when in fact, I never had one.