Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Prices for objects of wood

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 2:42:41 AM UTC-6, wrote:

I got bored with .....

You know, all this talk about comforting one's ear, with music, no matter what the occasion.... maybe we should sing to ourselves, sing what we like, at the moment, and not have to worry about tuning in to the best station or whether the next radio song will be suitable.

My solution is ....

On a related note: Sometimes, after creating/building a project, someone will comment that the idea, workmanship, project is unique... "How do you do that?" I tell them there's a secret, to that kind of woodworking, and, of course, they want to know the secret. So, (looking both left & right, to make sure no one else is listening) I whisper in their ear, the secret:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhqTmuPFkQ

So, to solve your working or traveling musical needs, simply "sing" to yourselves.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Dec 2014 08:42:39 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in :

We have XM in my wife's car but I decided I didn't need it in my truck
(thought they keep sending "special" offers). I'd rather listen to
talk radio for the commute. There are times I'd like it but it's not
worth the money. At home (where I have wifi - 4G is to expensive) I
listen to I-Heart-Radio. I've found a few stations that are really
good. I was recently in the hospital for 9 days and used it for
background at night. Didn't sleep more than a couple of hours a night
so listening to music was better than watching the clock go 'round.

I got bored with the Sirius/XM stations after a few months. We had it as
part of Dish's satellite package, and I had it on all the time like a
radio. I'm apparently not in their demographic aim.

My solution is to build a music library (from CDs, I refuse "soft
ownership" like MP3 downloads) and put it on my phone.

Ditto. I only buy "soft" audio books, which I'm not likely to listen
to more than once.

The van supports
audio over bluetooth (whatever that profile is called ?A2D2?) which means
any time I'm in the van the music plays. I get stuff I like, and don't
have to keep listening to a station that's more about talking than music.

My vehicles are supposed to have this but it doesn't work. Bluetooth
devices, whether operational or not, also screw up voice navigation. I
have to connect via USB and that's a PITA. On long trips I will put
the iPod in the car but for every day it's not worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/28/2014 1:51 PM, Bill wrote:

What's the difference? As soon as I buy a CD I dump it onto my
computer. With the appropriate software tools,
you can burn it back to a CD for your car if you want.

I do pretty much the same. I'll take a regular CD and burn it as MP3 or
on a flash drive for the car. It the copy gets damaged in the hot car
or gets stolen, loss is minimal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

I don't trust "trust us, we'll make your purchased license always
available". If I've got the professionally made CD, then rebuilding a
lost digital collection (as unlikely as that is) is possible even if the
company I purchased the CD from is gone.

Plus, if I ever decide I don't like a CD (want a copy of Brian Wilson's
Smile?), I can sell the CD later.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Try this.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/taudioconverter/

Plus, if I ever decide I don't like a CD (want a copy of Brian Wilson's
Smile?), I can sell the CD later.

Puckdropper

Is there a database of wood prices anywhere? -Lost Woodworking 9 September 29th 07 01:26 AM
Wood prices: Argh, choke Charles Self Woodworking 5 December 2nd 05 10:50 PM
As the Wood Turns: Woodturned Objects by Contemporary Artists Matt Heffron Woodturning 0 November 27th 05 05:10 AM
Wood Prices RadioHead Woodworking 7 February 20th 05 12:59 AM
Why wood prices are going up Grandpa Woodworking 136 September 26th 03 02:04 AM